Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1966 couple with a 289 v8 and c4 transmission. I bought a performer high rise dual plane intake manifold and I'm planning on getting a 4bbl carb (I was looking at the Edelbrock #1406, 600cfm electric choke). A buddy of mine told me that if I do this, I'll have to change the cam and headers too. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
No. It would benefit you to upgrade your cam and headers, but you don't have to. I wouldn't bother to upgrade the cam unless I upgraded the heads, too, and then we're talking serious $$$ by the time you're done. If you plan on putting a 600cfm carb on a 289 with stock cam & heads, you're going to be disappointed, though. You'd enjoy much smoother throttle response and drive-ability with a 500.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Joes72/65 gave good advice, about the time the secondaries are opening up on the 600, the stock cam is done, you will see a definite improvement in performance with a 4b carb and intake, over a 2B setup. I always do carb and intake first, free flowing exhaust (duals with free flowing mufflers) and or headers second, cam, lifters, and valve springs third, and heads last. The stock heads are okay to a point, the stock cam is okay for economy but falls short on performance. I've ran several different carbs on my engine, 289 271HP mech cam, and on the street the Ford (Autolite) 470 cfm gave the best performance, over the 500 cfm Holley 2B and a 750 cfm Holley 4B I had. Good Luck.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot for your helps guys! I might just go with the 500cfm instead. My other question is what the difference is between manual and electric choke? I'm pretty sure my stock Autolite 2bbl carb is manual.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Manual choke is controlled by a knob in the dash with a cable to the choke linkage. Automatic is set with the pedal prior to start, then releases as the motor warms up. If you have a round black thing on the passengers' side of the carb, it's an automatic choke. (The round thing houses a bimetallic spring which heats up to release the choke.) I'm not aware that Ford ever put a manual-choke 2100 on a Mustang, but I've been wrong about a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
When you switch to the highrise manifold and new carb you will need to fabricate a new kick-down assembly.
You can buy a Lokar cable kit instead.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I agree about the manual vs auto choke from the factory. Don't think Ford ever used a manual choke. I put a Holley 4-barrel on mine in my younger years with an Edlebrock hi-rise manifold. The Holley did not come with an automatic choke, and I just put in a manual cable as described by one poster, but Holley does have an automatic add-on. I plan to switch it back to automatic. Things work fine as long as whoever drives the car knows how to use a manual choke; the problem is that many don't.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The cable kit from Lokar replaces the normal kick-down linkage. You may need to get some parts not in the kit so it is a good idea to call and see what else you need in the way of brackets and such.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.