Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the Cash for Clunkers program has been really taking off. Reports indicate that the most traded in vehicle is the Ford Explorer since the early 90's models got a horrific 15mpg. :happyhapp

So my question is: Where are all these explorers going? :headscratch:

As we all know the top end, Heads and Intake are useful to us 5.0 guys. Supposedly the cars can not be sold used as they are supposed to end up out of circulation. Does anyone know how regular guys can get their hands on these explorers for parts or salvage... anything.

All you guys that work at a dealership or know someone that does PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ! try to get some information before they go crushing and recycling the explorers.

Thanks in advance for any help :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
457 Posts
im sure there are tons of explorers at your local salvage yard.. not exactly a rare vechile by any means

·
Registered
708 Posts
I heard on the news that these cars are ending up in salvage yards and the parts are being resold and the remains will then be recycled.
Since each car costs uncle sam $4500, you would think the gov't would try to reclaim some of the scrap value.
I don't know, your tax dollars hard at work to buy clunkers. I guess it saves jobs, at least for now :headscratch:

BTW, my 89 lx 5.0 qualifies for the program, do you think i should take advantage? :gringreen:nogrinner

I don't think so..:nogrinner

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True

There are tons of Explorers out there but I swear to you that they must take the top end off each one before they put it out on the yard. I have never been able to find one with any of the top end left.

I was hoping that maybe there might be a way to get the heads off these old clunkers for dare I say FREE(or as close as possible) before they go to get junked.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Since each car costs uncle sam $4500, you would think the gov't would try to reclaim some of the scrap value.
Oh gosh, please don't let them hear that. If they even try to implement a program to reclaim anything it will cost us all 3 times as much as it is now.

I don't know, your tax dollars hard at work to buy clunkers. I guess it saves jobs, at least for now :headscratch:
Yeah but it can also help some of the younger families to get a safer more economic vehicle to haul the kids around in during a tough economic time. Hopefully we reduce some of the air pollution being caused by old, under maintained, inefficient vehicles. Maybe it might even have a slight impact on the gas industry. They might try to lower prices if they fear that Americans are really paying more attention to mpg and actually buying a NEW car based on the rating.

BTW, my 89 lx 5.0 qualifies for the program, do you think i should take advantage? :gringreen:nogrinner

I don't think so..:nogrinner
ehh, not funny. Trade in a mustang on some wannabe rice burning gas sipping power lacking epa kissup vehicle... :mad: If we choose to burn gas we purchase inefficiently then by God we are gonna do it. Anyone with 42# plus injectors whose car can actually put out the power to warrant those massive suckers is living the american dream if you ask me.

Blt2Lst, you know I am joking, right :shiny: I agree, not trading in the 5.0.

·
Registered
45 Posts
if you're still wondering, the cash for clunkers program requires dealerships to drain the oil and seize the engines on all the vehicles bought up by the government. so that might effect the heads that you're looking for in the salvage yard. :weeps

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ugh

if you're still wondering, the cash for clunkers program requires dealerships to drain the oil and seize the engines on all the vehicles bought up by the government. so that might effect the heads that you're looking for in the salvage yard. :weeps
Ugh, thanks for the info but I really hope you are misinformed. If this is the case then I really gotta get the inside track if this is to work for me.

On the other hand it may be a LOT of work but I could swap my heads for the GT40 and then they can seize the engine. I am sure it will seize up just fine. :gringreen

·
Registered
797 Posts
I also heard they drain the oil and sieze the engine. I was hoping this was not true but It would make sense because the government wants to rid the road of all of our fun classic cars. If it is not true and they do not sieze the engines I think I would be as happy as a kid on christmas at my local salvage yards.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok, so the Cash for Clunkers program has been really taking off. Reports indicate that the most traded in vehicle is the Ford Explorer since the early 90's models got a horrific 15mpg. :happyhapp

So my question is: Where are all these explorers going? :headscratch:

As we all know the top end, Heads and Intake are useful to us 5.0 guys. Supposedly the cars can not be sold used as they are supposed to end up out of circulation. Does anyone know how regular guys can get their hands on these explorers for parts or salvage... anything.

All you guys that work at a dealership or know someone that does PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ! try to get some information before they go crushing and recycling the explorers.

Thanks in advance for any help :bigthumbsup
my wife works at a local dealership...she told me that the are required by law to send the cars to designated salvage yards to be crushed. per the CARS program, the cars traded in have to be totally eliminated from circulation due to the "poor MPG". i have contacted the local yard that has been receiving all of the cars from crushing to inquire about parts...their response...,"sorry man, there's nothing we can do about it..."
just my 2cents

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Sodium silicate is run through the engine until it seizes.

Vehicles are sent to either an authorized salvage auction or to an authorized recycler. Salvage auctions may sell to any authorized recycler. Once the vehicle is at the recycler they are allowed to sell any part from it except the engine or any part of the 'drivetrain' unless the 'drivetrain' is disassembled and sold in parts. Recyclers are not required to sell anything though, they may immediately crush and or shred the vehicle if they wish. After 180 days, the vehicle must be crushed and or shredded.

Any recycler that claims they are not allowed to sell any of the allowed parts is either not interested in selling parts (because they will make quick, instant cash by selling the crushed/shredded metal to metal recyclers?) or they are ignorant to rules of the program.

http://www.cars.gov/files/TheRule.pdf

g. Disposal of Trade-In Vehicles (§§ 599.400-403)

In addressing the trade-in vehicle disposal process (Section III.b., Identification of Disposal Facilities), the agency decided to include disposal facilities participating in the ELVS program (currently numbering approximately 7,700) on the list of facilities that may participate in the disposal process, subject to certain conditions and certifications. As a condition of accepting transfer of the trade-in vehicle, the disposal facility must certify that it meets all applicable State and Federal laws and has a currently active State license to operate as a disposal facility in that State. The disposal facility must also certify that it will not sell, lease, exchange, or otherwise dispose of the vehicle for use as an automobile in the United States or any other country, that the vehicle will be crushed or shredded onsite within six months after the date of its transfer from the dealer, and that the vehicle will not be transferred to another disposal facility prior to being crushed or shredded. Finally, it must certify that it will update NMVTIS, within 7 days after receiving the trade-in vehicle and again within 7 days after crushing or shredding the vehicle. During the six-month period prior to the required crushing or shredding of the trade-in vehicle, the disposal facility may sell any parts of the vehicle other than the engine block or drive train (unless the drive train is dismantled and sold in parts). These requirements for disposal facilities are implemented in sections 599.400(b) and 401 and Appendix E.

The agency also has determined that, in lieu of direct transfer to a disposal facility that appears on the agency’s list, the dealer may opt to transfer the trade-in vehicle to a salvage auction, subject to certain conditions and certifications. As a condition of accepting transfer of the trade-in vehicle, the salvage auction must certify that it meets all applicable State and Federal laws and has a currently active State license to conduct business as a salvage auction in that State. The salvage auction must also certify that it will not sell, lease, exchange, or otherwise dispose of the vehicle for use as an automobile in the United States or any other country. It must certify that it will limit participation in the auction of a trade-in vehicle under the CARS program to a disposal facility that currently appears on the agency’s CARS list of disposal facilities and will obtain from the disposal facility the same certification the disposal facility would have provided upon direct transfer of a trade-in vehicle from the dealer, and provide that certification to NHTSA. Finally, the salvage auction must certify that it will update NMVTIS, within 3 days after receipt of the trade-in vehicle from the dealer, or prior to auction, which ever is earlier. These requirements for salvage auctions are implemented in sections 599.400(c) and 402 and Appendix F. Finally, a dealer receiving certifications from a disposal facility or a salvage auction under these procedures is required to send them to the agency within 7 days of receipt. Section 599.403 sets forth this requirement.

It is important to note that the requirement under the CARS Act and its implementing regulations for disposal facilities and salvage auctions participating in the CARS program to update NMVTIS are distinct from the monthly reporting requirement 53 imposed on junk and salvage yards pursuant to 49 U.S.C. 30504. In accordance with regulations implemented by the Department of Justice at 28 CFR 25.56, any individual or entity engaged in the business of operating a junk yard or salvage yard within the United States shall provide, or cause to be provided on its behalf, to the operator of NMVTIS and in a format acceptable to the operator, an inventory of all junk automobiles or salvage automobiles obtained in whole or in part by that entity in the prior month. Updates by junk and salvage yards to NMVTIS under the CARS Act and its implementing regulations, however, may fulfill this separate NMVTIS monthly reporting requirement regarding such vehicles, provided the updates contain all of the information required by the Department of Justice under 28 CFR Part 25.

The procedures described above allow a trade-in vehicle to be transferred no more than two times subsequent to the dealer taking title and prior to its crushing or shredding, either directly to an entity currently appearing on the list of eligible disposal facilities, where the vehicle must remain until it is crushed or shredded, or to a salvage auction that subsequently transfers the vehicle to that entity. This approach for the vehicle disposal process is adopted in Subpart D and the required certifications appear in Appendices E and F. Nothing in the rule proscribes further transfer of a crushed vehicle to another disposal facility, including a shredder.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
my father in law just did the cash for clunkers with a 92 chevy pickup. right after you hand them the keys, they pour "acid" (what they called it) in the oil and the gas tank right in front of you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There was a picture on the front page of our newspaper here in Des Moines,Ia of a mechanic at a car dealerships pouring Sodium Silicate into the motors of the clunkers.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
the ones here are going to the local u pull it so they are keeping the good parts and crushing the crap showed it on TV crushing perfectly good compact cars no rust or damage

wanna take my 79 f250 in i paid 750 ill let em have it for 4500

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info. I was "googling" but I was clearly searching for the wrong info. FoxChassis, thanks for sending the link to the official rules. I guess that pretty much answers the question.

So this sodium silicate will pretty much fuse the moving metal parts to each other indefinitely, right?

Probably would be too much work to even repair the heads after that abuse. Gosh, I really could care less about the other stuff going to the crusher but not the useful explorers, :nono: they are recyclable.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i was watching csnbc or world news whatever it was and as i was about to change a saw a black 85 86 gt in beautiful condition by what i saw get picked up and moved around toward crusher. had like the older prime 5 star wheels. Sucks. and at a local dealership i saw a 89 crown vic no rust perfect shape with only 22ooo miles be takin away with clunker written on the window......... Some clunkers they have there:headscratch::mad:

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I got my wife a Mercury Milan saturday with my very beat 173K Dodge Dakota R/T. The 5.9 "magnum" made the max 4500 buck qualification. I tried to give any parts away to anyone that wanted them since all I had to have was a running vehicle to make it on the lot. Many dealerships we went to had several low mileage Impalas, Caprices, Crown Vics, Buicks etc you know, old people cars. The sales guys were saying retirees bought them back in the 70's and eighties thinking it would be the last cars they would need. The husbands had died, but their widows have lived on. The chief interest in trading was the new cars safety features not available two decades ago. Perhaps the crusher is better than them being turned into ghetto praire scooners.

·
Registered
6 Posts
it is all a big joke you might save $4500 now but when taxes come you will just have to pay $5000 more so figger that one out plus what are we going to do in 5 years when we have no used parts and you have to go to the dealer ya you saved $4500 on that new car for the wife but in 2 years when you need a fender for your 98 truck their wont be any.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
it is all a big joke you might save $4500 now but when taxes come you will just have to pay $5000 more so figger that one out plus what are we going to do in 5 years when we have no used parts and you have to go to the dealer ya you saved $4500 on that new car for the wife but in 2 years when you need a fender for your 98 truck their wont be any.
? Any additional taxes aren't gonna come from the C.A.R.S. program and the scrap yards are allowed to pull all the body panels and interior parts they want. The engines are the only thing that must be rendered unusable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.