Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first things I plan to do when my 06 GT arrives is lower it. I had a 96 Cobra that I lowered about 2 inches via BBK springs. I quickly notice that I needed a set of adjustable caster and camber plates or I would be replacing the front tires every week.

My question is, are the plates a must with the 05 GTs too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Any time a vehicle is lowered, a camber kit needs to be installed so that the proper alignment can be achieved. This would be true with '05's as well as '06's. I've gone with the Steeda lowering springs and their camber kit as well as their bump steer kit and control arm relo kit. The bump steer kit reduces the suspension's tendancy to steer the vehicle when going over railroad tracks. The control arm relo kit (requires some welding) lowers the center of gravity. The vehicle now corners like it is on rails. Also something to consider is an adjustable upper rear control arm and adjustable panhard rod (also av. from Steeda). When lowering, the drive shaft angle to rear axel assembly changes slightly. The adjustable upper rear arm can put the rear end at the correct angle again. The adjustable panhard rod enables you to shift the rear end to one side or the other. I noticed that on my '05 GT that from the factory the rear end was slightly shifted to one side. Since I was going to put fat tires on the front and rear, I diddn't want any rubbing due to the rear being shifted to one side. The Steeda adjustable panhard rod stuck the rear end exactly with the same tire to fender well space on each side. Conclusion: All the suspension stuff is great, but if you are going to lower install the camber kit at least. Good luck and regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
cost

what was a ballpark price on ever thing you did to lower the car..

Plus any pic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured as much... Thanks for the input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
The complete Steeda suspension kit includes the following:
springs, camber kit, bump steer kit, front a-arm relo kit, sway bars & mounting hardware, billet rear trailing arms, adjustable panhard rod and brace, rear upper adjustable locating arm, urethane bushings. Parts cost around $1800.00 plus installation another $600.00. Some welding required on the front control arm relo kit. To complete the suspension upgrade the shocks and struts need to be upgraded from the factory stuff. To date, the only mfgr is Tokico and their adjustable shock/strut price is around $600.00. After that, go race Ferraris.


savagess said:
what was a ballpark price on ever thing you did to lower the car..

Plus any pic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
a arm re low kit

do you real need to do the a-arm relo kit i dont see any one else offering it... as of
yet.. ?????????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Don't know if the A-arm thing did anything and/or all the other Steeda stuff did, but I raced a Lamborghini around a corner the other day and he didn't pull away from me. $100,000.00 + vs. $40.000.00 you choose. I have all the Steeda stuff that I got through Surf CityCruiser.com contact me at [email protected]
 
G

·
05GT68RSSS said:
Don't know if the A-arm thing did anything and/or all the other Steeda stuff did, but I raced a Lamborghini around a corner the other day and he didn't pull away from me. $100,000.00 + vs. $40.000.00 you choose. I have all the Steeda stuff that I got through Surf CityCruiser.com contact me at [email protected]
$40,000?
mods?
 
G

·
R3dF1r3 said:
$40,000?
mods?
Yeah, no kidding man... what all have you done to your ride? We're all dying to know (cuz we're jealous and want to do it to ours). Pics along with text woudl be especially appreciated. I dont have my car (yet) let alone another 10+g to throw down on it.... but I like to plan & dream! Hook a brutha up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Caster/Camber Plates

I am lowering my 2005 Mustang GT with Ebach Pro Kit. I have heard I may not have to put the kit in with these springs. But I'd rather do it now then find out after I have installed the springs and have to do more work. I was wondering if anyone knew if they make Caster/Camber plates for the 05 Mustang. I have seen Steeda's, but the are only for only camber adjustments. Is there a reason why they only make the adjustemt for camber only? If anyone know's of a Camber?caster kit for the 05, I'd appreciate the info.. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
Joemax said:
I am lowering my 2005 Mustang GT with Ebach Pro Kit. I have heard I may not have to put the kit in with these springs. But I'd rather do it now then find out after I have installed the springs and have to do more work. I was wondering if anyone knew if they make Caster/Camber plates for the 05 Mustang. I have seen Steeda's, but the are only for only camber adjustments. Is there a reason why they only make the adjustemt for camber only? If anyone know's of a Camber?caster kit for the 05, I'd appreciate the info.. Thanks
I've asked a couple of places... no plates for the 05 yet...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Camber Kit??

I know some1 probably has posted this. But forgive me, I am in very big hurry. I have contacted Eibach, and they have a kit but I cannnot find it anywhere. The Steeda one doesn't look like it works very well. Can anyone help me get one asap? Thanks!!


-Anthony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
Ants2005stang said:
I know some1 probably has posted this. But forgive me, I am in very big hurry. I have contacted Eibach, and they have a kit but I cannnot find it anywhere. The Steeda one doesn't look like it works very well. Can anyone help me get one asap? Thanks!!


-Anthony
The Steeda one doesn't work very well acording to who?

I have the Steeda kit and it works perfectly.
The only drawback is that there is some labor involved to ovalize the top hole (of the 2 lower bolt holes) on the shock to allow for the camber change.
I can set the car up for anywhere from 0 degrees camber to -3 degrees camber in 0.5 degree incriments in minutes. I can even change it trackside if I so desire. I don't mean to sound arrogant but Steeda has won more roadrace championships in the past 20 years than anyone else in their class. I think they know a thing or 2 about suspension.

You can also read my writeup elsewhere in this section if you need more insight into suspension setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
thump_rrr-the steeda kit you got. Did you purchase the spindal kind or the one with 4 plates, 2 bolts and a couple clips? so you had to round out one of the holes? Is that in the directions or was your camber so bad that you needed to round it out? Appreciate it.


donnyonee-do you have a site for them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
Ants2005stang said:
thump_rrr-the steeda kit you got. Did you purchase the spindal kind or the one with 4 plates, 2 bolts and a couple clips? so you had to round out one of the holes? Is that in the directions or was your camber so bad that you needed to round it out? Appreciate it.


donnyonee-do you have a site for them?

That is the method in the instructions to allow camber change. As I have said the beauty of this system is that you don't need to get the car aligned everytime you want to change the camber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Ants2005stang said:
thump_rrr-the steeda kit you got. Did you purchase the spindal kind or the one with 4 plates, 2 bolts and a couple clips? so you had to round out one of the holes? Is that in the directions or was your camber so bad that you needed to round it out? Appreciate it.
donnyonee-do you have a site for them?
The S197 doesn't use camber plates like the older Fox and S95 cars. Camber is done at the bottom of the strut where it attaches to the spindle. Elongating the holes is no big deal. Steeda also has or will have a kit for dialing in castor.

Ford currently has a bolt kit for camber adjustments that is cheaper than Steeda's. The Steeda kit is handy if you plan on camber changes regularly.

Myself, I wouldn't go over 1* neg.camber for the street. You will wear out tires in about 15K miles or so depending on your rotation schedule. The more neg camber will help keep the wheel/tire flat in the turns. Then you use Castor to help go straight or turn in.
 
G

·
h&r camber Bolts are the same folks as h&r springs, they

say about 3 deg.?

gonna install mine tonite, we'll see?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top