Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 3.8 automatic with about 59k miles. The check engine light is on and of course won't pass inspection. All the print out from the shop says about why I failed is, Catalyst. I dont know much about cars, I am assuming they mean the catalytic converter. I just bought this car a year ago, and the person before me put a K&N air filter and dualed out the exhaust.

Do you think it may be the aftermarket parts causing the problem?

I'm dead broke, so I'm thinking of disconnecting the battery for a while to reset the engine light and have it reinspected. Maybe I can sneak by until I have the money to fix it correctly.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
either that or disconnect the light or put some paint on the check engine light. Either way you can pass the inspection until you can get the problem fixed. You may have a bad Converter. Try the battery thing first, that may work for at least 1 start up then it could come on again.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
scourge said:
I have an '02 3.8 automatic with about 59k miles. The check engine light is on and of course won't pass inspection. All the print out from the shop says about why I failed is, Catalyst. I dont know much about cars, I am assuming they mean the catalytic converter. I just bought this car a year ago, and the person before me put a K&N air filter and dualed out the exhaust.

Do you think it may be the aftermarket parts causing the problem?

I'm dead broke, so I'm thinking of disconnecting the battery for a while to reset the engine light and have it reinspected. Maybe I can sneak by until I have the money to fix it correctly.
Tehy usually don't go bad so quickly, did the previous owner remove them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea. Didnt buy from actual owner, got from dealership. Someone else told me he may have hollowed it out, but again, I'm clueless when it comes to cars.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
scourge said:
I have no idea. Didnt buy from actual owner, got from dealership. Someone else told me he may have hollowed it out, but again, I'm clueless when it comes to cars.
yeah, you're gonna' haveta' find out.

if it's got long tube headers, for example, the cats are totally gone.

What state are you in?

If you bought it from a dealership, I'd take it back to them. They sold you a car that is inoperable (can't pass).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got the inspection just now by disconnecting the battery so I've bought some time for fixing it.

I'm in Texas, but since I bought the car about a year ago I figure it's too late to take back. They'd probably try and say it passed when they had it, so it's my problem not theirs.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
scourge said:
Well, I got the inspection just now by disconnecting the battery so I've bought some time for fixing it.

I'm in Texas, but since I bought the car about a year ago I figure it's too late to take back. They'd probably try and say it passed when they had it, so it's my problem not theirs.
No, not if it doesn't have cats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.