Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an recommendation on a Catch can + Breather setup? I currently just have Drive / Pass. PCV Breather setup. Of course, I get small amounts of oil come out of them into the engine. Would like to get a Catch can to catch all that oil.

Thanks,
Tman

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Is your engine N/A or does it have forced induction?

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
"JLT" used to be the de-facto standard for catch cans, but I think there might be some better ones out there now. I have JLT on my car and I stopped checking it because it never has any more than a drop or two in it. Not sure if my car is not producing much blow-by, or if the catch can just does not work. My car is N/A so it might be more important on supercharged cars.

If you try some searches you should be able to find the past threads that discuss this in some detail.

·
Super Moderator
2,261 Posts
The JLT 3.0 catch can works great. The earlier models were less effective, but still good.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
apparently not much, but I'm pretty sure that's what the PCV is for, and that's why we need breathers or catch cans and all that

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
apparently not much, but I'm pretty sure that's what the PCV is for, and that's why we need breathers or catch cans and all that
If there’s no blow-by why would one need breathers and catch cans? I get the need for a breather on forced induction, to reduce crank pressure, but on n/a applications? Why? Because it looks cool?

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
I think there always is some, but it is minimal for N/A motor with good rings . . . the catch can supposedly keeps the oil out of the intake, but on my car, either the oil coming out is nearly zero or the can is not catching it

·
Super Moderator
2,261 Posts
The catch can on the pcv side operates when under vacuum not boost. So it’s catching normal blow-by weather NA or FI. When it’s working under boost, the pcv valve closes off, blocking crankcase pressures and gasses. The gasses and pressure under boost are then routed to the other side of the engine where gasses/pressure is pushed out through the opposite valve cover, and carried into the air intake tube through a hose, and sucked into the throttle body. This is why many PD blower systems have 2 catch cans.

On a system that uses a breather, excess vapors are vented to atmosphere in the engine bay and often results in an oily and untidy engine compartment.

Very little oil makes it’s way to the air-intake tube catch can boost or not. Most people only run one on the normal pcv side, but a breather hose from the opposite valve cover to the air-intake tube is still used to relieve boost pressurized, crankcase gasses.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I think there always is some, but it is minimal for N/A motor with good rings . . . the catch can supposedly keeps the oil out of the intake, but on my car, either the oil coming out is nearly zero or the can is not catching it
I have a catch can on my supercharged ‘95 and the amount of oil it catches would barely be enough to coat your pinky nail. So I’m in the same boat as you. I’m going to be a positive thinker and say that there’s just not that much oil going through. “They say” the oil going into the intake can lower the octane of the gas, but it’s doubtful it’s hurting much if any.

·
Super Moderator
2,261 Posts
“They say” the oil going into the intake can lower the octane of the gas, but it’s doubtful it’s hurting much if any.
That depends on your particular engine, amount of boost, and the tune. It definitely lowers octane effectiveness enough to cause timing to pull back. It also coats the intercooler with oil residue and increases temperature due to a less effective heat exchange.

You can run without one obviously, it’s not an absolute requirement. However, if you want to wring out the last drop of performance possible, they do better your chances, and they’re relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a JLT, not 3.0, on the passenger side of the engine I get about an ounce or two per 1500 miles. I drive about 4000 miles a year. I have the driver side unit and will be putting it on next spring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put the Ford Performance Trackey tune on my car back when it was new. Even though the car is still N/A the tune strongly suggested the addition of a catch can on the passenger side of the 2014 Coyote. I added the large Moroso. Liked the easy drain and the larger catch. Get about 1.5+ ounces/1000 miles. Works great and looks good too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts