Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one tell me if CD-RW's work with the shaker 500?
I ordered my 06 Saturday and I won't be able to find out till I get it (5 months) But I've been wondering....

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ticklemonster said:
Can some one tell me if CD-RW's work with the shaker 500?
I ordered my 06 Saturday and I won't be able to find out till I get it (5 months) But I've been wondering....
should as long as you 'burn' them to read in all players. some cheaper burners dont allow that option, which means only cd-rw burners can read them. i have ran RW's in aftermarket players before that just said CD-R. went OK....

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yo tickle, there are many 06 GT's to be had here in little rock. Why not just cruise down and get one instead of waitin 5 months?:eyepoppin

·
Registered
191 Posts
why not just use CD-R's? you can fit ~120 mp3's on a CD, and it plays MP3's. I have 4 mp3 cd's in my 500 and I can drive very long distances without hearing the same song twice. RW's are slower to burn and CD-R's are so cheap i don't see the benefit from an RW. Back when CDR's were expensive they made sense, but that was forever ago.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Like GTNOS and Goliath said, you need to close the session, which means you can no longer record on them (which makes their primary purpose useless) besides I think they are a waste of money, they burn a heck of a lot slower than CR-R's, The RW's are made mainly for constanly re-using them like for backups.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why the CD-RW's.....

My reason for the rw's is that I record a radio ralk show that is on when I'm at work. This way I can listen to it the next day and skip all the commercials.

I do this every day so I would be throwing disks away every day and as cheep as CD-R's are I would rather not do that.

As far as the wait goes. I'm fine with the wait. It gives me time to save up for the taxes and downpayment and I have never bought a new car so ordering exactly what I want is alot of fun to me. Besides Springtime will be a perfect time to get this car. I would sadden me to see it covered in salt and ice the first week I get it........

So if you close the session on a RW you can't erase it?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
ticklemonster said:
My reason for the rw's is that I record a radio ralk show that is on when I'm at work. This way I can listen to it the next day and skip all the commercials.

I do this every day so I would be throwing disks away every day and as cheep as CD-R's are I would rather not do that.

As far as the wait goes. I'm fine with the wait. It gives me time to save up for the taxes and downpayment and I have never bought a new car so ordering exactly what I want is alot of fun to me. Besides Springtime will be a perfect time to get this car. I would sadden me to see it covered in salt and ice the first week I get it........

Correct, you can no longer erase or burn to it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does the 500 have an aux input? If it does, get yourself a MP3 player and download the radio show to that. It would solve your re-use problem.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
ticklemonster said:

Cassette tapes would be perfect for that, but technology moves on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ticklemonster said:
My reason for the rw's is that I record a radio ralk show that is on when I'm at work. This way I can listen to it the next day and skip all the commercials.QUOTE]

how long is the radio show? you can store up to 700 mb on a cd-r in mp3 format. i am assuming the radio show is 1 hour long, the average size of a 4 minute mp3 is about 4 to 5 mb, we'll say 5 for this purpose, you can store approx 140 4 min mp3s to a cd r or 560 minutes of mp3 sound total which is 9 1 hour sessions of the talk show. you can add more clips to the cd-r until its full, then chunk it. i added files to cd-r's many times when i had the roush and its 500 played them no problem. you should get 8 to 9 1 hour shows per disk. thats not bad at all. hell of a lot cheaper than an mp3 player...(especially since your shaker 500 already is one) and i know that cd-r's say 80 minutes but that is figured for regular music format which is .wav files that are much, much bigger. so basically im saying, burn your talk show to the cd-r in mp3 format, when your done listening to it and your ready to add another one, simply put the cd-r in your computer and add the next one. do each show as 1 track and it will be easy to navigate through. went it gets full, get a new disk.:tongue

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You don't have to close the session on a cd-r?

If i wait to fill up the disk so I can close it, it would take about a week.
I've considered that but I would be a week behind on topical conversation.....

I would rather do that than buy an ipod though...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ticklemonster said:
You don't have to close the session on a cd-r?

If i wait to fill up the disk so I can close it, it would take about a week.
I've considered that but I would be a week behind on topical conversation.....

I would rather do that than buy an ipod though...
my hp burner closes a cd-r every time i burn. even after it closes i can still add more files and close it again and again. unless this is specific to the HP burners, in theory you should be able to add files even after you close it. test it with a couple of mp3's. burn 1 or 2 to cd-r and close it. then try to add more mp3s. if it lets you then pop it in your 500 and see if it plays ok. i really dont know why it wouldnt.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
hey tickle, if that doesnt work for you, i thought of another option for you that is a heck of a lot cheaper than an ipod. i have it in my patrol car. i wanted mp3's in my cruiser but we are not allowed to modify the car, so i found on ebay a wireless fm modulator. this particular fm modulator takes a usb flash drive and just plug into your cigarette lighter. very simple and easy to use. i bought this off of ebay for $23 plus i found a thumb drive for another $20. the modulator transmits on several different frequencies so you just tune your radio to the modulator. copy your talk show to the thumb drive, plug it into the modulator and hit play. when your done simply delete the show and copy on the next. a 512 thumb drive is about $30 at walmart, maybe cheaper off of ebay. and you may already have one. at any rate i know it will work for you and is a lot cheaper than an ipod. thumb drives are very useful anyway, never hurts to have one. the only down side to the modulator is i noticed that music will not have as much base playing through the modulator as it would through the cd player or from a radio station. i attribute this to increased power fm radio stations use to boost thier signals for better sound. that shouldnt be a concern with the talk show...
oh yeah, and if you have a laptop with a 3.5mm output (speaker/headphone jack) it comes with a cable to connect your laptop, mp3 player, cd player, casset player, anything with a jack.

here is a link to the modulator i am talking about.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=wireless+fm+modulator&category0=

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mp3 player adapter

It's funny that you mention that mp3 fm modulator because that is exactly what I have been using in my current car (Z28) for the last 2 years. It works wonderfully. I took it to the dealer with me when I ordered the car to see if the lighter outlet stays "hot" with the key off. (if not i'll lose my place in the show) the good news is that it stays hot but the bad news is that the fit is so poor in the socket that if I touch it, it goes off and I'm back at the begining of the program. Not to mention the thing is kind of ugly and blocks the cd slot.
I'm sure I'll figure something out when I get the car. By the way the salesman called me this morning to tell me that the wait is only 2 months now!
Gettin' excited!!!!!

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
ticklemonster said:
It's funny that you mention that mp3 fm modulator because that is exactly what I have been using in my current car (Z28) for the last 2 years. It works wonderfully. I took it to the dealer with me when I ordered the car to see if the lighter outlet stays "hot" with the key off. (if not i'll lose my place in the show) the good news is that it stays hot but the bad news is that the fit is so poor in the socket that if I touch it, it goes off and I'm back at the begining of the program. Not to mention the thing is kind of ugly and blocks the cd slot.
I'm sure I'll figure something out when I get the car. By the way the salesman called me this morning to tell me that the wait is only 2 months now!
Gettin' excited!!!!!
Only two months now? :eyebulge: How many times has he told you that one:laughlitt

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
try the socket in the console, it might fit better there, you wont see it and it should transmit throught it. did you try adding files to the closed cd-r's??

got my 06 gt in yesterday! its in the tint shop as we speak, will have my hands on her tomorrow. she is beautiful with that tungsten grey and the 18in bullitts. i was a little unsure towards the end about the red leather, but now that i see it in person, i like it alot. :drool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I put it in the console I would have to open the lid and fumble for the FF button every time a commercial comes on....

He did say I have a vin number and build date.

What are tipical wait times going for now?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
true, as far as the wait time goes, i have heard most say a week to 2 weeks depending on where its being built and where its being shipped. mine was built on the 22nd of nov at the plant in kansas and the order line said scheduled for delivery the 12th of december. hit the dealers lot 2 days ago...:happyhapp if it werent for the damn snow i would have already had it home by now. will have it tomorrow.:happyhapp :happyhapp :happyhapp

·
Registered
305 Posts
pcfrisch said:
Correct, you can no longer erase or burn to it.
If you close out a CDRW you can no longer burn to it until you erase it completely. But you can still erase it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts