Ford Mustang Forum banner

CD's jammed in Mach stereo cd player 2002 GT

29057 Views 16 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Special20
I bought my 2002 Mustang GT convertible Monday. Loaded up the CD player in "supposedly" and brand new radio. Now I am getting the CD ERROR display. None of the CDs will eject or play. Does anyone know how to remove them or get it back working? There are five bought cds and one burnt mp3 on a cd-r, just like the manual said. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
My cd player does the same thing. What you need to do is take something thin and press down on the cd. It tends to get stuck when you try and eject it. The best thing to do is eject all of the cd's at once. If it still gets stuck just use something to press down on the edge of the cd and it will come right out. This has worked for me on several occasions.
You can try and remove your battery cable for a couple minutes to erase the radio's memory, then when it powers back up, try to remove the CD's. Or turn the radio on and off and as soon as you turn it back on hit the eject button right away. If nothing works at all, you can always remove the radio and remove the screws holding the casing together and manually remove the CD's as a last ditch effort but that could leave the radio inoperable so that's entirely up to you. After you get it all sorted out,save yourself some future headaches and get an after market unit.
My cd player does the same thing. What you need to do is take something thin and press down on the cd. It tends to get stuck when you try and eject it. The best thing to do is eject all of the cd's at once. If it still gets stuck just use something to press down on the edge of the cd and it will come right out. This has worked for me on several occasions.
That did it! I could see the cd barely sticking out and used tweezers to remove it. I guess for some reason, the player doesn't have enough umph to eject them all the way. Thanks for the help.:bigthumbsup
If it's a MACH460 (with the 6 CD changer), be aware: It does NOT support MP3 CD's.

As to getting the CD's out... try a creditcard (or something similar while trying to enject the CD's. I once used a pocket knife (didn't have anything other handy, as we were barreling down the highway at 80 MPH with my dad having a go at the wheel). I must say... I never had any troubles with ejecting CD's since then. I did not the CD Error popping up once or twice on internally changing a CD for playback, but just reselecting the CD cleared that right up.

Also keep in mind: Never load up CD's that have a sticker-label on 'm. Those are just things waiting to get stuck.
diconnect battery for alittle while like an hour, then reconnect when you put key in ignition turn key back instead of forward and that should clear error i had the same problem sterio will not play burnt discs.
Umm... My Mach460 plays burned CD's just fine... It's MP3 CD's that it can't play.
Stuck

The battery disconnect didn't work on my 500 and I tried it three times. The credit card did work. Mine has been playing mps's for seven years.
Chuck:bigthumbsup

disconnect battery for alittle while like an hour, then reconnect when you put key in ignition turn key back instead of forward and that should clear error i had the same problem sterio will not play burnt discs.
Mine kept doing that,alot..so i finally just got another stereo.
same here. CDs kept getting stuck inside, would not eject, had to finally remove the stereo and manually get them out. finally, CDs would no longer play as well. Guess they don't last forever. Got me a super nice Pioneer unit with the adapter for the thinner DIN chassis, and the adapter cables, and I am good to go again. Sounds better than the stock one too
Forget the battery cables. Just use a credit card, or a thin, flat-tipped screwdriver (but be very careful). They both work great, and you can still do 80mph while getting the CD out!
My 2003 PONY does the same thing, I used a credit card multiple times and now it is just jammed. I took the stereo completely out and took the faceplate off but still could not get the CD out! I'll try the battery cable, if not lookes like $100 goes to the dealership :(
Sh!t, man. Just get a new deck... unless you really, really like that CD. Get something you can plug and run an iPod from. Eff CDs.
^ What he said, get a new head unit. That will still be cheaper than anything the dealership can do for you. As far as retrieving your discs goes, take the cd player apart. Don't be concerned about putting it back together; unless you can find an 8 year old girl from the factory in China that builds these things it ain't happening. Just take it apart and get your discs out, go to Best Buy and be done with it. These players are notorious piles of shiz.
Thanks!! Worked like a charm! Just used a paper clip to push down on the edge and it came right out! Then used it for the other CD's still loaded to get them out too.
Actually taking it apart is not that bad. Had the same prob with mine last fall. Took radio out took top off and was able to easily got cd. After that it was kinda screwy for a few minutes (once back together and in), but after the battery reset, was fine and worked perfectly. No issues this year so far.
I read somewhere to avoid using slot 1 and slot 6. I don't use either of these slots and have not had any problems. I would get another unit but I like the stock look. There are a ton of them on E-Bay.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.