Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. A couple of months ago, I installed a AFE Air Intake and it has been working great on my 05 V6. Just last month we added a Flowmaster Exhaust. All was well until a couple weeks ago the CEL came on and won't turn off. I did unhook the battery so I know the computer takes a few runs to recalibrate, but 2 weeks? So I went down to AutoZone to scan the codes and his scanner won't link the Computer. My question: Did Ford do something on the 05's so that you can't use a scanner from someone other than Ford. The Autozone guy even tried with 2 different scanners and it keeps coming back with LINK ERROR Try again....

I only want to go to Ford as a last resort because I don't want to get a lecture about After Market Parts and how they void the warranty. I just want my CEL off. Suggestions anyone please!

Thanks
JDB

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you install a tune with the CAI?

I don't care which CAI you use, I would never recommend installing one w/o a tune (either canned or custom). As for the codes, you can either go to Ford, go to a trusted shop, or get a handheld tuner to check them (i.e. Predator). AutoZone would be the last place I would go to check codes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The product specifinally advertises no tune needed....will not throw a Check Engine Light. I went with this one after researching other Mustang owners. That is how I ended up at Auto Zone, it was recommended by several members to do so. I have no problem going to Ford, I just wanted to see if someone else had the same issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Steda CAI and Magna flow exhaust on my car. I did reflash the computor with a SCT 2 program to get rid of the lag in gear shifting and make it a little more peppy. I drove the car approximately 2000 miles since I did the mods and 2 weeks ago the CEL light came on. With the SCT 2 you can pull the codes from the computor. I got the code and matched it to the code in my service manual which came back as "Lean bank 1" which means the drivers side of the -engine isnt getting enough gas at idle. This is a common problem with this type of setup. I contacted the guy that sold me the SCT 2 and he told me the CAI air filters come with a thin coating of oil on them. After you drive the car a while the -oil gets onto the MAF (Mass airflow meter) inside the in-take tube. This throws off the computor since this MAF is very sensitive. He recommended taking the MAF out, unplug it and clean it off with a electrical cleaner. I did that. He also recommended that the unit be totally dry before you reinstall it. Well I put it back in 2 weeks ago and no problems yet. Now with that being said you need the SCT 2 to erase the orginal code thats causing the CEL light to come on or I am assuming it will remain illuminated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks that's good info.

Are you suggesting that I simply unplug the sensor from the top of the hose or that there is something inside the hose that I need to remove and clean. Also, should I first find someone to scan the codes for me to be sure since I still haven't acheived that yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that explains why the Auto Zone guy could not get the systems to link up. I may take over to one of the After Market Performance guys who specialize in Mustangs. Heck, maybe I'll just get the custom tune then. I just can't stand to see that light blaring at me on a new car. I'll try the other stuff first, then take it from there. FORD as a last resort.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
MANY manufaturers sell their product saying 'no tune required' the only one I know for sure that is true with is K&N!! And to be honest I have not heard about troubles with the AirAid with the venturi in...

You gotta tune man!

·
Registered
78 Posts
There is 2 torx head screws that need to be removed to remove the unit from the -intake tube. Then you unplug it from the wiring harness. Kinda a weird type of electrical plug. You have to slide the red tab on the top outwards. It only goes about an 1/8 of inch. Then just squeeze the ends/ top and bottom together and pull it apart. The MAF is located in the -intake tube. Its a lond metal credit card type looking unit that has on the very tip a very tiny sensor in it. I used carb cleaner but the guy told me to use electrical cleaner, dont know if theres a difference. I then used the air hose with gentle air pressure to speed the drying process up. You will still need to get the code reset/removed so a tune maybe in order. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
JDB said:
The product specifinally advertises no tune needed....will not throw a Check Engine Light. I went with this one after researching other Mustang owners. That is how I ended up at Auto Zone, it was recommended by several members to do so. I have no problem going to Ford, I just wanted to see if someone else had the same issue.
If you put a CAI on your car, you WILL need a new tune. It doesn't matter what the maufaturer says. More air flowing into the engine means a leaner A/F ratio. With engines of old, that meant a twist here and a turn there, but with today's technology, such things require a complete rewriting of the car's "computer" settings to adjust for the change. I wouldn't trust any CAI producer that said no retune was needed for modern cars.

·
Registered
897 Posts
ChestyP79 said:
computers suck
No people who don't understand how to make $h!t with computers work suck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
To continue on with this CEL issue. After I cleaned my MAF I got the check engine light back on again a few weeks later with the same problem. It seems that here in Chicago when it got down close to 0 degrees that my car started running lean. The guy that sold me the SCT 2 rewrote the program for me and he enrichened it by 5 percent which he says will take care of the problem. Time will tell when it gets that cold again if I get the CEL light.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have nothing useful to add, just reinforcing what everyone else has said. Bottom line, you add a CAI, you need a tune. The ones advertising no tune are doing so to intice you in to purchasing their product over someone elses that states you need a tune. They lead you to believe you are going to get the same performance for less money. That isn't the case with the Spanish Oak PCMs in the S197 cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
actually, it's federal law that all OBDII vehicles can be read by all aftermarket scanners. they probably just haven't updated the software on the scanner yet.

·
Registered
897 Posts
bmwtech said:
actually, it's federal law that all OBDII vehicles can be read by all aftermarket scanners. they probably just haven't updated the software on the scanner yet.
Programmers such as the Diablosport Predator or thr SCT X-Cal II are not designed as scan tools but programmers. The scan capability is an additional feature provided with the tool. The Predator gives you the code and description in plain english while the X-Cal II only gives you the code which requires the manual to decipher. Furthermore the Spanish Oak computer has many more codes than any previous OBDII computer. There is no law stating that they must be forward compatible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
actually, i was refering to the autozone scanner that wasn't working. since it is actually a "scan tool" it is required by law that ford's OBDII connector can work with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts