Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, this was weird. My LG Voyager phone got stuck in the cupholders. It's about the size of an iPhone. Since there's no other place to keep anything in this car I throw my cellphone in the cupholders. It landed upright and when I closed the top door, it wedged itself in there so that I couldn't get the door open more than an inch or so. It was wedged in there pretty tightly. It took me quite awhile to wiggle it free w/ my not so small hands. I thought I was gonna break the damn door off trying to get it free. I was not happy.

Lesson learned, lay it down from now on.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
92 Posts
Noticed that the other day with my HTC ThunderBolt, which I also keep in the cupholder. I wanted to see if I could close the cupholder door but when I started to I saw the potential for the phone to become wedged in there, preventing the door from opening back up :no:
You're right, there are not a lot of places to put the stuff you need in the car aside from the cupholders but the way that door operates it's easy to jam it.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I've only had the car a few days so I haven't accumulated enough sh... I mean stuff to keep it my cell from fitting in the console yet but that's good to know. I have been keeping the garage remote in the cupholder though and that's probably a real bad idea since it has a big visor hook on the back. But it is a good excuse to get a new garage door opener so I can use the visor button. :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
LOL, it happened to me. I had my iPhone in the cup holder and accidentally shot the door on it. It was a ***** to take it out.
Now if I have to take it out of my pocket I put it in the front cup holder since it's shallower and won't let the door close with the phone in it.

B

·
0 Posts
Same thing here with my Droid X. I almost freaked out when it happened. It took me 15 minutes to finally work the latch open to get my phone back out. I only had the car for a month at that time, but learned to never to that again lol. I immediately bought a phone dock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
LOL Those cup holders must EAT phones. :gringreen It happened to me too...... not as bad as your's though. The phone now goes in the rear compartment or on the seat beside me if I'm by myself.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I usually rest my tiny Fuse mp3 player on the cover and opened it once. Damn thing slipped right down in there and if the cable had popped out I would have had to take apart the message center to get it back. Lesson learned: don't put crap on top, just open the cover and put stuff in the cup holder. I imagine in a few years I will have to take things apart and will find french fries and pennies down there.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Same thing here with my Droid X. I almost freaked out when it happened. It took me 15 minutes to finally work the latch open to get my phone back out. I only had the car for a month at that time, but learned to never to that again lol. I immediately bought a phone dock.
Same here. They are exactly the right size to get wedged if they are standing up in the cup holder.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've got a HTC Incredible which usually goes in the cup holder, but another place I found that works is behind the sun visor where the roof curves down towards the door. It even stays put under hard acceleration.

J

·
0 Posts
I get the impression that the mustang design project was 99% done when suddenly some engineer woke with a start one night and realized he hadn't designed any interior storage. Seriously, cell phones have been a part of our lives for over a decade now, every other automaker has figured it out. Hell my ex's Yaris had a million little cubbies and it was 1/3rd the size of my stang!

FWIW I got a windshield mounted cell phone holder, it's much easier to deal with.

·
Registered
69 Posts
to funny, I did the same thing with my i-pod. I also was about to break the door it took me about 15 min. to get the damn thing out. :worship It no longer goes in the cup holder :nono:

·
Registered
392 Posts
This is a serious design flaw, what was Ford thinking? I am contacting 20/20 ASAP!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
on the same note...what is with the inside door handle inserts that mysteriously have no bottom?? I always instinctively want to put my phone in there but it would fall right through. this has always irked me. how hard would it have been to put a tiny 2" piece of plastic there, mr mustang interior designer?

I shall be contacting K-KRON channel 4 news immediately!

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
My car ate my phone already. There was a pair if sunglasses in the cup holder, so I put the phone on top and closed the cover. After going around some corners, the phone slid over to the slot on the passenger side (where the lid opens onto). Needless to say... it was a B!TC# to get out of there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I either...
1. set the phone on the passenger seat
2. put the phone in the dedicated storage compartment behind the cup holders.

With sync, I rarely need to touch the phone while I'm in the car. If only I could figure out how to mute the phone using sync...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got a phone stuck in there also. The cup holder wasnt very strategically placed. i just leave it empty and closed now because if you put anything in there it just gets in the way of my arm when i shift.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My phone got stuck again today, forgot it was in the deep one and closed the lid.

And I found the solution to this problem:
1. When the cup holder lid is closed with your phone inside, open the lid of the center counsole storage.
2. This reveals a finger size hole under the cupholder lid toward the passanger side.
3. Put your finger in and push your phone to the driver side.
4. Open the cup holder lid!

I guess they knew things would get stuck in there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.