Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I being overly anal here or is anyone else experiencing the extremely annoying sun glare off the chrome trim around the center air vents? High noon or so, I am blinded with sunglasses on. Has anyone come up with any tactful ideas on modifying this trim? I thought about tinting it somehow, but have not quite figured how I am going to do it yet.

Ideas?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Maybe its the angle that the sun hits here. No one else has this problem? Lucky!!:worship
It bothers me more at night. Like driving I-10 through New Orleans. The chrome around the speedometer, tach, and the vents put on a light show.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've caught the glare a couple of times. Just depends where the sun is. Doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Never had an issue. Maybe it is the 5% tints I have. I'm sure that you can paint the chrome trim if it really bugs you that much

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Am I being overly anal here or is anyone else experiencing the extremely annoying sun glare off the chrome trim around the center air vents? High noon or so, I am blinded with sunglasses on. Has anyone come up with any tactful ideas on modifying this trim? I thought about tinting it somehow, but have not quite figured how I am going to do it yet.

Ideas?
Use some black 3M electrician vinyl tape and a sharp knife and cut and apply the vinyl tape to the chrome trim ,after cutting to fit, the part of the trim that is blinding. It would be easier than painting and if you didn't like the appearance later-it would remove easily and would allow reapplication.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yea it happens to me too and it is annoying but I like the look of the trim as is so I just deal with it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
tint the windows!!! no more glare

well that is except for the glare from the cops lights behind you lol

·
Registered
392 Posts

Ideas?
Best to get those cataracts removed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I find it annoying as well. A real driver's car would not have that distraction as it is slightly unsafe. But it does not last long and is usually just a problem in the late afternoon when driving East.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I like the black electrical or vinyl tape, but if you live anywhere where it's over 90F, or if the car sits in the sun for any amount of time, you won't be happy with the sticky residue clean-up after the tape peels or slide off the spot you placed it.

The best solution may be a harder solution, removing that part of the dash, and scuffing, cleaning, and painting the area.

Just imagine the glare the original 2004+ models had with the entire dash facing as bare aluminum, that put off some serious glare.

Have you tinted your windows, that may help a little.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the black electrical or vinyl tape, but if you live anywhere where it's over 90F, or if the car sits in the sun for any amount of time, you won't be happy with the sticky residue clean-up after the tape peels or slide off the spot you placed it.

The best solution may be a harder solution, removing that part of the dash, and scuffing, cleaning, and painting the area.

Just imagine the glare the original 2004+ models had with the entire dash facing as bare aluminum, that put off some serious glare.

Have you tinted your windows, that may help a little.
Yes, I have limo tint all the way around on the car except for the windshield. The issue is from the sun coming through the top of the windshield and the angle at which the vents face. If the dash was extended a little more there or the angle of the trim that the vents sat in was a little less, it wouldnt be a problem at all. I agree with the notion of the sticky residue. It gets hotter than hell here and I dont want to mess it up if I choose to take it off. I am kicking around the idea of either inserting a piece of black ABS plastic above the vents to hang out only when the sun is at the right angle, that I can remove when needed. Or as a more permanent solution, I may removed that panel and see if I can neatly angle it out some. I dont know, but it is really aggravating. I already have a high sensitivity to sunlight, hence the need for the dark tint and sunglasses, so this glare, even through my sunglasses, is bad.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Nailed me a handful of times in the 3 1/2 weeks I've had the car, too.

One option I've considered is if I can get the ring off, using something similar to the carbon fiber sticky back stuff like one guy on this site did his whole dash with, only just for the center ring.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had pretty much ALL of the "chrome" trim blind me at one time or another.

The two major offenders are the aforementioned AC vents & the ring around my shifter. My eyes are pretty sensitive to light, so even with shades on it's pretty distracting. I get it every single day going to and from work. Leaves nice little colored after-image spots blocking portions of my view....

I do love the way it looks so until I find a good-looking solution I just close my right eye & use the bridge of my nose to block the reflections to the left eye. :( (My right eye is pretty much useless anyways. Hooray for limited depth perception)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts