Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my grille this week. It took all of 15 minutes. I did notice it will be more difficult to change bulbs when one burns out. I haven't decided whether to add a new emblem or not. Here's a couple pics taken during a cruise this weekend. I included a new favorite action shot including the loose nut behind the wheel.:eyepoppin

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
Not my style, but they look good with the chin spoiler. I never would have thought the black wheels would look that nice with the redfire. Sweet!

·
Registered
516 Posts
i like everything about it. did you spray your taillights also? i dont see a reverse light. i have a tungsten grey and i want to flat black my wheels and flat black between the tails and smoke the tails and now i have a good idea of how it will look.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
That looks great:thumbsup:.I need to get off my arse and make the change to center fogs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I got my fog light grille today, I will get some pics of it when I get it installed on the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Where are you guys buying this grille from? I already bought 2 from 2 different companys, and had to send them both back due to them having broken tabs on them.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I installed my grille this week. It took all of 15 minutes. I did notice it will be more difficult to change bulbs when one burns out. I haven't decided whether to add a new emblem or not. Here's a couple pics taken during a cruise this weekend. I included a new favorite action shot including the loose nut behind the wheel.:eyepoppin
that's the specific kit i've been looking for, they look much better than the CDC ones... do you have a link??

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
393 Posts
I got my fog light grille yesterday from cj pony parts, but I need to know where the horn is mounted on the 2005 mustang gt because I have to relocate my horn before my grille will fit because the fog light on the passenger side of the car hits my horn. so the fog light grille form cj pony parts requires some mods to your car to fit right.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I know of two manufacturers: SSE and KSR.
This was over a year ago so there might be others now.
The 1st gen KSR grills were on back order forever and getting some bad reviews for a warped bottom lip,
broken tabs, funky finish and no harness extensions.
So I went with Street Scene. The fogs are a little closer together than KSR and the finish matches the stock grill.
I had no issues with the horns.

·
Registered
393 Posts
ok I called cj pony parts this morning and lest a message with their shop team and they called me back and told me that I would have to move my horn to the center of the grille since my stang has 4 wheel abs and that also have to trim down a piece of metal where the horn was mounted. so I followed their instructions and moved my horn to the center of the grille then made a bracket to move the horn down in the bumper so you can't see it through the grille and trimmed down the metal piece where the horn use to be and then the new grille fit fine with no problems. and i must say that i love it.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
iceman!! post pix now!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
iceman, just noticed you're a V6. How was the install? Tight fit? The listing for that grill on cj ponyparts is for a GT. That might also explain the horn placement. Any pics?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
You guys not worried about the cooling issues some have had? Those puppies seem to take up some 40% or so of the effective (in ram air) radiator area... I would not do it and if I had to I'd up my fan to a better elec one...

·
Registered
767 Posts
What cooling issues are you speaking of?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I think there is a thread in here somewhere... some that had installed them noticed the engine temp was reading higher. There is no telling with the crappy OM meter how much or if it's dangerous... Somebody had an AM meter and said that idling used to be in the 160's and was now close to 200, s/he got rid of the center lights... can't remember the exact temps...

·
Registered
767 Posts
The thread(s) I remember ( of which I was involved in a couple of ) were around last July on TMS and MF. I had mentioned that my temps went up. But coinsidentally the same time the grills came out was about the same time that the summer tempatures went up. We started running an informal survey of people in various areas, both NA and forced induction, both with and without the grill, and pretty much came to the conclusion that the grill did not have anything to do with the operating tempatures going up. It was just "summer" causing it. That, and the completely inadquate radiators that these cars came from the factory with.

My temps rose from around 180ish on the freeway to up around 205-210. And with "spirited" driving it went up to 220ish. That is with a supercharger, and in Texas. Don was seeing very close to the same results with a normal grill in San Diego. Dustin was NA and a factory grill in New Hampshire and was seeing about the same temp rise.

One thing I noted with the new grill was that there were actually more of the honey combs open than with the stock grill. A theory I had was that because the stock grill is closed off on either end and the center fog light grill is completely open, that the air was no longer being forced through the radiator. But instead it was allowing the airflow to go around the radiator. I did some modifications to close off the open areas between the grill and the radiator thus forcing all air through the grill to go through the radiator fins. This made very little difference. The lights being in the middle weren't really playing that much of a roll in the possible scenario because they were still taking up the same amount of space, just in a different place. So basically it turned out that the grill wasn't causing the issue, just the hot azz summer was.

FWIW, I ripped out that worthless stock radiator and installed the LFP radiator and my temps dropped about 15 degrees in freeway driving.
They still go up to 220ish on a hundred degree day when I am romping on it, but they go back down pretty quickly. With the stock radiator they would just creep back down.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't noticed any rise in temperature. The grille has less of the blocked cells and is advertised to flow 35% more air than the stock grille.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts