Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok people, I am seriously considering installing a supercharger. I have been to the website that explains all the ins and outs of the two types (roots or screw-type) and (Centrifugal). I am leaning towards the Centrifugal. Has anyone installed one from the following manufacturers (Vortech, Paxton, Powerdyne, ATI ProCharger) on an 05 or 06 GT yet. If so, what were your results and how satisfied are you with the product. Thanks

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Zrullac said:
Ok people, I am seriously considering installing a supercharger. I have been to the website that explains all the ins and outs of the two types (roots or screw-type) and (Centrifugal). I am leaning towards the Centrifugal. Has anyone installed one from the following manufacturers (Vortech, Paxton, Powerdyne, ATI ProCharger) on an 05 or 06 GT yet. If so, what were your results and how satisfied are you with the product. Thanks
you may want to wait for the Rotrex units to come out. They're pretty trick.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Supercharger

Go with a Roush supercharger,its a roots style & it is the only one approved by ford as to not void your power train warranty.3 year warranty as well.Roush spent $ 6,000.000 on R&D for this.Vortech need dyno tunes Roush re flash your computer & mail it back start the car & away you go.I would suggest not doing this retro fit yourself.Call Roush for a authorized dealer/installer.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Born To Run said:
Go with a Roush supercharger,its a roots style & it is the only one approved by ford as to not void your power train warranty.3 year warranty as well.Roush spent $ 6,000.000 on R&D for this.Vortech need dyno tunes Roush re flash your computer & mail it back start the car & away you go.I would suggest not doing this retro fit yourself.Call Roush for a authorized dealer/installer.
Same goes for the Saleen Supercharger...

My local SVT Ford Dealership warranties the blower AND I keep my 3 YR factory warranty on my 2005 GT...

But you have to let the dealer install it...

Dave :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2005 GT Vortec Mustang

I can only speak of what I have installed in my car. A vortec w/o cooler was installed by Crazy Horse Racing on April 16th, of 2005. The yellow GT had 2,700 miles on it when installed. The installation was published in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine, Oct. issue. I am 440hp at the wheels and 408 lb-ft torque. I now have 10,000 miles and I've never had so much as a misfire! If I baby the car I get 24 to 26mpg. If I don't....well....! At about 3 grand is where she really kicks in and you have to stay on top of her or she'll buck you into a guard rail. I would put plastic on the passanger seat cause.. yea.... they may dirty themselves!!! It's that fast!!!!! I'm running 9 lbs. of boost.
Understand something...... a roots style supercharger is also great..... only a matter of preference.....but when they say it is covered under the cars warranty if installed by ford, what they mean is as long as the car shows no signs of abuse. If you blow your engine, Mr. Ford will pull that little black box and should it say 7 grand when that engine blew.....thats abuse!
Whatever you choose you WILL love it, but have it installed by people who know how to do it. Good luck and see you at the sound barrier!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I run the Saleen Twinscrew, and she's a blast on the street. I got 400 ft/lbs of torque at 2600 rpm!!! Mileage is good, 16/22 and she's a blast to drive!! Centri's are good for high hp 1/4 mile use, but I prefer the neck snapping torque on the street. It's more fun for 500ft blasts!! Most people just give up after that since you pull them so fast out of hole!! Install was easy (10 hours with hand tools), but not for faint at heart. KB also has a setup. Twinscrew is best for street use, but it is expensive. 5-6k for kit without installation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think twin screw like roush or saleen is good for street. I just installed roush. Waiting for spring to try it out. I think if your into serious dragracing then I would do some thing like the procharger when everday drivability is not an issue.

·
Registered
333 Posts
vortech here...love it..431hp at the tire.Runs flawlessly and have had no issues whatsoever..6K miles on mine since the kit was installed and I can get 27mpg on the hwy @70 cruise all day long! Couple this kit with a set of 3:73 or even 4:10's and IMO you have the best of both worlds..Neck snapping low end and ungodly amounts of mid and upper power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
vortech '06 Mustnag GT

I installed a standard vortech kit on my '06 Mustang GT. The install was fairly easy, and after final tuning on the dyno I got 450 rwhp. Also drivability is awesome. You don't even realize you have a supercharger until you put it to the wood.

Jonrck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Vortech here!!

Dealer install with intercooler. 390rwhp/385 torque. Love it on the street for daily driver, not always in boost mode. At 5K including install, Im very happy! Just bought some JBA headers (shorties )to be put on Monday, hope to redyno on Wed. or Fri. Ill let you know the numbers.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Zrullac said:
I'd go with the Kenny Bell (http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2005-mustang/kenne-bell-is-the-****-42500.html).

I have the Saleen S/C installed and I wish I had gotten the KB. It come with everything you need to do the install. Injectors, tuner and it puts out 440hp+ from the start. Your car is safe even at 440hp. The KB tune is real good also. Your call, best of luck.

·
Registered
590 Posts
hogwild said:
Dealer install with intercooler. 390rwhp/385 torque. Love it on the street for daily driver, not always in boost mode. At 5K including install, Im very happy! Just bought some JBA headers (shorties )to be put on Monday, hope to redyno on Wed. or Fri. Ill let you know the numbers.
If your going to install the shorty headers, make sure you torque the motor mount bolts. The musrang club I'm in helped me install mine and the bolts weren't torque. After installing the saleen S/C, the s/C was hitting the firewall. At first it sounded likr the auto trans was going bad (grinding noise). Then I thought my s/c was going bad. JDM (Jim Sr) told me to take a cardboard and fold it in haft and put it between the firewall and the s/c anf if the noise goes away 90 to 100%, then the s/c is hitting the firewall. I took the car to the dealer and is cost me $500 to get it fix.
It's a lot of work and expect to spend all day doing it. BTW, the right header goes in from above the motor and not from under the car.
It's easier just to pay some one to instll it. It would have saved me a big headache. Good luck.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I'm going Vortech here in a couple of months. I have the unit, have had it since July! I just decided to max it out so I'm waitng for a short block (alu S197 block, Cobra Steel crank, Manley H-Beam Rods w/ARP bolts, CP 17cc disched pistons, ARP main studs.)

The reason I decided on C/F is very well explaind above... I do not wanna be in the boost all the time. When you get on it it's all there and that's when you need/want(?) it. Plus (ecpesially on a stock motor) having all that low end TQ from a T/S unit will ripp at your internals and drivetrain maybe making it retire early...

Anybody making +300 RWHP should consider a one piece driveshaft with a safety loop. Anybody making +400 should go easy on their shortblock!

I'm getting a MD fuel upgrade with a BAP, 60 lb injectors, MD custom CAI, Powerhouse one piece alu driveshaft with a safety loop. With the P&P heads, headers, and other mods I should be in the mid to high 500's! I'll have boost and fuel press guages to keep/get an eye on everything especially before getting on it...

·
Registered
829 Posts
MSgt46270 said:
If your going to install the shorty headers, make sure you torque the motor mount bolts. .........headache. Good luck.
What do you mean ? Can you explain this more?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
What do you mean ? Can you explain this more?
You'd think that the motor would line up again after re-installing on the motor mount and after lifting the motor to install the headers. It doesn't look like it would shift, but mine did????? Here's what my invoice says:

"CAUSE: Motor mounts and sub frame out of position, causing s/c to hit firewall.

CORRECTION: Check noise from engine. Found motor mounts and sub frame out of position, causing super charger to hit firewall. Reposition sub frame and engine mounts, retightened all bolts, recheck super charger for proper clearance. Road tested with customer to verify repair".

When I had my S/C installed by DPR, they didn't know the motor wasn't position on the sub frames correctly. So to get the s/c in they cut away some of the lip of my firewall to get the s/c installed. After I got my car, the second day you could hear grinding noise coming from around the trans. Long story short, it was the s/c hitting the firewall. JDM (Jim Sr) was the one who figured it out for me.

With the shorty headers some of the bolts will be hard to get to. The dealer also told me that. It was worth the $500 to get it fix, less of a headache for me now.

I tried to save money by installing the headers myself and it still cost me $500, could have had the dealer do it for that much.

Hope this helps you.
Ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts