Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been pretty set on the roush 2300 as my next mod, but really can't get over the cleanliness and simplicity of the centrifugal chargers like the vortech or procharger (and they tend to be about $500 cheaper).

Who here has real street experience driving either/or (or better yet, both). I've read the internet jibber jabber that roots "should" be better for x,y, and z reasons. But I want to know from the guys who drive.

Also, anyone in the AZ area with a blown 11+, I'd love to experience one first hand! TIA guys.

Sean

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I can't speak to real experience via the Mustang, but I did drive a Thunderbird SC for 10 years. The T-bird SC had a roots blower and I loved it. For a V6 the motor had V8 type torque right off the low end of the tach and boost could be had with very little pedal input. Typically you'll find the roots blowers are designed into the induction from the factory a la the T-bird SC, GT500 and the Pontiac Grand Prix. The centrifugal blowers are typically after thoughts as well as aftermarket. Even though the centrifugal blower is crank driven via a belt it works more like a turbo than the roots does. Roots blowers are usually crank driven via a belt too, but the belt turns helix rotors as opposed to the centrifugals turbine.

·
Registered
616 Posts
put as simply as possible, here's sort of a comparrison of my experiences between the different superchargers

The roots style blowers (including the Eaton TVS) are awesome daily drivers since they give nearly instant boost. The torque and power is all down low sacrificing high RPM power. Roots blowers don't build boost, they ram more air into the engine with rotor lobes than the engine can spit out. They also tend to put air into the engine in pulses instead of a smooth flow, but are the most reliable supercharger. They can easily be by-passed allowing great fuel economy too.

The Twin screw supercharger is sort of the best all-rounder option. They make amazing daily drivers since it builds boost much like a roots blower (down low and nearly instant), and the twin screw will still have more than enough top end power to be lethal at a road course or a drag strip. The twin screw supercharger gives their power very smoothly and predictibly. They can be tricky to by-pass however and have issues with always boosting even at cruise. The tighter tolorences than a roots blower is part of their downfall. Although way more reliable than a turbocharger, the screws will wear out over time.

The centrifugal supercharger is (as was stated above) very turbocharger-like in operation. They build boost in the housing like a twin screw, but only with an impeller. They are limited by by your engine RPM like the twin screw, only they make nearly no power under 3,000RPM's in most applications. Because of this they can be very "surg-ey" when accelerating. The boost built is entirely dependant on pulley size. For example if you buy a centrifugal supercharger with a x.x" pulley designed to make 8psi on your engine, then it won't make 8psi until your engine red lines. Centrifugal superchargers also tend to be the least reliable of group, inherently with their much higher operating RPM.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Roush with Roush tune only.

·
Registered
775 Posts
this is one of those questions largely avoided on most forums these days. because most guys think whatever they have just spent $1000's on is the way to go and can get down right rude about.

i have had both a roots and centri blower on a s197 mustangs and there is no better or worse one. how you plan to use/drive the car and how much you wanna spend (esp this) are the only factors really worth fretting over.

there are pros and cons to any blower but any blower will also turn your mustang into more then most could handle on the street.

lastly if your already wondering about your mustangs reliability 5-10 yrs down the road - probably best not put a blower of any kind on it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
check out the aug 2011 issue of MM&FF for a cool article on the difs between turbos, pd's, and centris.

·
Registered
5 Posts
type of supercharger

i have an intercooled procharger with a boss intake on a 2011 GT. i purchased it over the positive displacement types due to ease of install (self install). the above comments are correct. i don't build boost until 3300 rpm and at 7400 rpm @ 8.1 lbs of boost. i make 633 rwhp but only 449 lb of torque. the positive displacement superchargers feel better at low rpms. i took a ride in my freinds 2007 Shelby GT500 with mods and it felt better on take off then the power tapered off. mine feels like less power at the begining but the power builds all the way to the rev limiter. At 3500 rpm in my car you head is pushed back to the headrest hard until the rev limiter hit or i shift first. I do wish i had more torque at the bottom. procharger informed me that if i want to build boost earlier all i would have to do is get a pully that makes more boost (smaller) and put in a blow off vavle at my desired boost level max. so i have an 8 lb pulley now. i should get a 12 lb pulley and set the blow of valve at 8 lb. (until i change to better piston and rods that can handle the increase in boost safely).

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have an intercooled procharger with a boss intake on a 2011 GT. i purchased it over the positive displacement types due to ease of install (self install). the above comments are correct. i don't build boost until 3300 rpm and at 7400 rpm @ 8.1 lbs of boost. i make 633 rwhp but only 449 lb of torque. the positive displacement superchargers feel better at low rpms. i took a ride in my freinds 2007 Shelby GT500 with mods and it felt better on take off then the power tapered off. mine feels like less power at the begining but the power builds all the way to the rev limiter. At 3500 rpm in my car you head is pushed back to the headrest hard until the rev limiter hit or i shift first. I do wish i had more torque at the bottom. procharger informed me that if i want to build boost earlier all i would have to do is get a pully that makes more boost (smaller) and put in a blow off vavle at my desired boost level max. so i have an 8 lb pulley now. i should get a 12 lb pulley and set the blow of valve at 8 lb. (until i change to better piston and rods that can handle the increase in boost safely).

ahh i've always wondered if the BOV will act kindof as a safety, so when you hit 8psi, would you still be at boost? and still pulling at 8psi? or does alllllll of the boost just blow out the BOV and you basically loose the boost @6200 (or where ever you hit 8psi) until you shift and go below 8psi.

it kinda sounds like a dumb question, but at the same time, both answers sound plausable.

thanks for the thread, ill be watching. i just asked a local shop owner with a 2011 gt500 currently being formed into the last 2011 super snake, about this exact topic... he didn't have the slightest clue -.-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.