Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
South40
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - are any of you using any of the newer "ceramic" waxes? I want to give them a try but can't find many real world reviews...lots of products on Amazon and most reviews are good but I wanted to hear some actual experiences - thanks!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I plan to try my first ceramic this weekend. Will start with MEGUIAR'S Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax. I would also like to know what other folks' experiences have been.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have tried the Meguires Hybrid Ceramic and Mother's CMX.

If you apply the Meguires as directed on a wet car you wind up using almost a whole bottle. I also found some hazy areas that are a ***** to buff out once the car is dry.

The Mother's is applied to a clean dry car. It goes on easy and requires very little buffing. They do recommend a second coat after 24 hours. An application uses very little material so a bottle will do a car several times.

The shine doesn't seem any better than with any other wax but the water beading seems to last longer. But my daily driver Mustang as still develops a film over time that neither of these waxes removes so you still need to polish before applying.

So, for the Mustang I use Meguires NXT Tech Wax 2.0 because it has has enough abrasives to clean off the road grime film, is easy to apply, is to buff off and does not discolor the black trim if I get sloppy. I apply it every other month.

My Barracuda that doesn't see bad weather and is in the garage when not being used. Every Spring it gets clayed, polished and gets two coats of Mother's CMX. I then use Lucas Speed Wax as a detailed to clean off the dust.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I'm reading the ceramic waxes don't last long...may not be worth the $$

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm reading the ceramic waxes don't last long...may not be worth the $$
The Meguires and Mother's being discussed here are less than $20 a bottle so they are no more expensive than other synthetic waxes. If you use water beading as a measure of how long they last they appear to me to last longer than synthetic wax and most certainly last longer than natural carnnuba wax.

Now if we were talking about the professionally applied ceramic coatings that cost several $100 to have done I can't say how long they last. I would think they are not worth it for a daily driver that is subjected to rain, road grime and bird/tree droppings. It gets to a point that washing will not remove the build up and you will need to clay, polish or use a cleaner wax to get the gloss back which is going to remove the ceramic coating.

I am lazy and don't like having to go over the car twice to put a coat of wax on it so the fact that both the Meguires Hybrid Ceramic and the Mother's CMX don't have any cleaners I don't use them on any of my daily driver vehicles. As I mentioned before the Meguires NXT Tech Wax 2.0 is the easist to use I have found.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I applied the Meguires Hybrid Ceramic liquid yesterday. I applied it to a dry car (2006 Mustang GT), easy on, easy off. "Wax on, Wax off", after letting it sit for about 4 minutes. Very good shine. I have to wait to see how durable it will be.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recently used Adams Graphine Ceramic coatings on my 2020 Mustang, It was a JOB to get the car prepped ( took about 12hrs from start to finish, wash, iron x, clay bar, polish, iso wipedown, ceramic coat apply) but they "claim" it's supposed to last 7 years. It was suggested to my by a fellow car guy that just coated his new 2020 Mazda MX5 with Cq Quartz. He's been looking at youtube and this guy called "pan the organizer", Pan's got a lot of videos that walk you thru how to as well as explain how some of the different products work. Pan seems to be a trip but he's knowledgeable, we've used some of his demos with very good results. So I used the Adams Graphine on the Mustang, and did the same process except we tried Turtle wax Ice seal and shine that we did my dad's 2015 Fusion with, it really looked good. Lot of work but the Mustang "glows" now in ox white and dad's car is a metallic grey, the turtle wax really gave it a deep sparkle shine, looked better than new!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts