Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I did it, it was me. Challenged a new GTO on a back road. I think we all know who won. :sosad: But I am thoroughlly convinced that if I had a better launch I could have kept up or even beaten the guy. Only had me by a car length or two. 4.10 gears.... here I come :kooky:

·
Registered
482 Posts
You gotta test the prey before the real run! I'll be waiting to hear from you when you smoke him! GITERDONE! :p

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
4.10's wont help you on an open road. At launch, well thats a different story.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You'll need more than Flows and a k&N homie. If he only beat you by a car length or two my hats off to you.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Underw0rld said:
You'll need more than Flows and a k&N homie. If he only beat you by a car length or two my hats off to you.
Yeah, I've driven the new GTO -- a guy at work has one. The 2004s have 350hp and the 2005s have 400. And they put it to the ground real well. Real fast in a straight line. Get him on the twisties though and it could be a different story. The GTO goes like scared cat, handles like a cow.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I know what I have isn't enough, but my curiosity got the best of me. My trunk is stripped out and the rear seat has been deleted and 4.10s IS next on the list along with an SCT Flashtuner. hopefully Procharged by next summer... then I go find the goat..... baaaaaaa

·
Registered
85 Posts
Langod said:
Yeah, I've driven the new GTO -- a guy at work has one. The 2004s have 350hp and the 2005s have 400. And they put it to the ground real well. Real fast in a straight line. Get him on the twisties though and it could be a different story. The GTO goes like scared cat, handles like a cow.
You sound like a ricer. "get on the twisties" thats the excuse they make everytime we kill them!!!
Forget the twisies, get more power and find that goat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Heh heh from my experience fox bodies and "twisties" don't mix :winks Not saying that bad handling isnt fun :laughlitt

·
Registered
53 Posts
I beat a GTO, the 350 hp 04 5 speed version on engine twice and he was modded with headers, after cat exhaust and a cold air kit with stock tires. I have nitrous but he wouldn't race me with it. I have 03 gt w/3:73's, mickey tompson drag radials(they wear out fast, but man do they hook) 75 mm throttle bottle, c&l intake elbow, bbk cold air, 80 mm mass air flow, chipped and a short throw shifter. First gear pulled a car on him everytime on the launch and he never gained after that. He had the power, but those things are suppost to be heavy and he had to be either launching soft or spinnng cause I ate him up out of the whole.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Storkdork said:
Oh I know what I have isn't enough, but my curiosity got the best of me. My trunk is stripped out and the rear seat has been deleted and 4.10s IS next on the list along with an SCT Flashtuner. hopefully Procharged by next summer... then I go find the goat..... baaaaaaa
Just a thought, I don't think you want to strip weight from the rear of your car since it's RWD. IF anything you wanna take it out of the engine compartment. You need weight in the back so the rear wheels will be planted and have traction.

·
Registered
364 Posts
fast66 said:
You sound like a ricer.
Easy there, Tex -- them's fightin words! ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
LCA's would work better than the 100lbs +/- you are stripping out.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
A 05 with some bolt-ons and better rubber takes the stock 05 Goats everytime... I've taken two on the street, one from a stand still and one from about 30 MPH... No discussion, they lose, and with car lenghts!

So in short, 300 RWHP in a 3500 lb car, some rubber, and you have it done! :winks

·
Registered
124 Posts
the 05 goats are hella fast form a roll, but they're weight does drag em down a bit off the line. I know in the 03 and 04 the auto tranny won't let you have wheel spin even flooring it from a dead stop, so the take-off is incredible. Not sure about the auto 05s though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why do you call them goats? Sorry if it is a stupid question.

·
Registered
736 Posts
kj_cinci said:
A 05 with some bolt-ons and better rubber takes the stock 05 Goats everytime... I've taken two on the street, one from a stand still and one from about 30 MPH... No discussion, they lose, and with car lenghts!

So in short, 300 RWHP in a 3500 lb car, some rubber, and you have it done! :winks
You just have to make sure they are stock and not that great of a driver. Mod for mod they will eat an 05 GT everytime.

·
Registered
118 Posts
lthompson05 said:
Why do you call them goats? Sorry if it is a stupid question.
no question is stupid if you don't know the answer. not sure if this will help, but from an ad that aired in 1967.

With The Great One theme on the screen and in print, the GTO for 1967 took on a new air of sophistication. Pontiac positioned the GTO to still appeal to the street enthusiasts, but older buyers, professionals and women were targeted as potential customers. One theme Wangers was never able to sell to GM management was the name that still endears itself to the GTO—The Goat. Wangers put together an ad showing a young man standing in his driveway, a pail under his arm, posing with his freshly washed bright red GTO. The ad was titled, "A Boy and His Goat," and by submitting it to the corpo-ration for approval, Wangers, who always had one ear to the pavement, was to discover just how out of touch GM management was with the language and the culture of high-performance enthusiasts.

Wangers put together a study that quoted enthusiasts in the field, and assembled magazine articles that referenced the GTO as The Goat' and presented it to the committee, explaining, "You've got to give us the benefit of the doubt here, that we know what we're doing. The word Goat is an accepted nickname of the GTO in the field. The people who are living with this car and love and respect it have assumed that the word GTO stands for Goat. Allow us the professionalism of knowing our market. That's why we're successful."

IMHO, a gto is referred to as Gas Tires and Oil and then someone turned it into Gas Oil And Tires. other members chime in on this, that is just my theory.

Jon

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.