Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 98 Eclipse GS with a (supposed, I haven't really seen it) 98 GST Turbo in it. As far as I know, he doesn't have any major mods other than the usual fart cannon and oversized Mitusbishi window stickers. And, I wouldn't really worry if it weren't for the fact that he said he's got the turbo motor. Those make about what, 210hp? My only consolation is that he doesn't have the AWD conversion kit on his GS. He's also got maybe 500 pounds of stereo equipment in his hatch. Two 12in subs in a giant box with two huge 500 watt amplifiers hooked up to them, plus a big in-dash DVD player with other hardware.

Now, he says he runs 10's...i KNOW that ain't true.

but, I'm still intrigued.

I've got 2003 3.8 with Bosch +4 platinum tipped spark plugs, K&N Drop-in filter, Quaker State advanced synthetic with a K&N hi-performance oil filter, and I use 91octane gasoline. As of now, those are my only mods :(

I don't THINK he has the turbo motor. I've never heard that turbo whine coming from his car (but then again, his fart blaster is so loud, I may have missed it)

Do I even stand a chance against this guy if he's got what he says he's got?

-thanks!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
First off, he is full of it. He doesn't run 10's and it's doubtful that he has a turbo. Secondly, posers like him aren't worth racing. Don't waste your time, you'd smoke him.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
mac_mogul said:
A friend of mine has a 98 Eclipse GS with a (supposed, I haven't really seen it) 98 GST Turbo in it. As far as I know, he doesn't have any major mods other than the usual fart cannon and oversized Mitusbishi window stickers. And, I wouldn't really worry if it weren't for the fact that he said he's got the turbo motor. Those make about what, 210hp? My only consolation is that he doesn't have the AWD conversion kit on his GS. He's also got maybe 500 pounds of stereo equipment in his hatch. Two 12in subs in a giant box with two huge 500 watt amplifiers hooked up to them, plus a big in-dash DVD player with other hardware.

I've got 2003 3.8 with Bosch +4 platinum tipped spark plugs, K&N Drop-in filter, Quaker State advanced synthetic with a K&N hi-performance oil filter, and I use 91octane gasoline. As of now, those are my only mods :(

I don't THINK he has the turbo motor. I've never heard that turbo whine coming from his car (but then again, his fart blaster is so loud, I may have missed it)

-thanks!

He runs 10 in the 1/8 mile. even with the GST, you can take him. But the oil filter isn't a performance mod.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kscoyote said:
But the oil filter isn't a performance mod.
Well, maybe not. But its something that I bought and installed myself, and its just something I'm proud of I guess :)

Monkey Boy said:
First off, he is full of it. He doesn't run 10's and it's doubtful that he has a turbo. Secondly, posers like him aren't worth racing. Don't waste your time, you'd smoke him
This may be true, but I WANT to smoke him to show him who's boss. Really, you would need to know the guy to understand how desperately he needs to lose to a kid in a v6 Mustang. I will THINK about it until next weekend, but this guy really needs to be put in his place :sterb:

Thanks for the replies guys :D

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Car-Stats.com Report for 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Obtained from MT June, 1994
0-60:
Transmission: Manual
1/4 Mile:

1/4 Speed:

YEah, it's an 1/8 mile time. you've got 1.3+ seconds on him in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Car-Stats.com Report for 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T
Obtained from MT June, 1994
0-60:
Transmission: Automatic
1/4 Mile:

1/4 Speed:

With the turbo (unlikely, those are expensive and hard to come by) it's a drivers race.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
mac_mogul said:
Well, maybe not. But its something that I bought and installed myself, and its just something I'm proud of I guess :)

This may be true, but I WANT to smoke him to show him who's boss. Really, you would need to know the guy to understand how desperately he needs to lose to a kid in a v6 Mustang. I will THINK about it until next weekend, but this guy really needs to be put in his place :sterb:

Thanks for the replies guys :D
Oh! wait! you've got an auto. Does the kid have an auto or stick?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's got a stick, but I don't know how good he is with it.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
mac_mogul said:
He's got a stick, but I don't know how good he is with it.
Quit wasting your cash on the higher octane, and use the difference to get a programmer!

:laughlitt

Got time to install underdrivers?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the manual really give him that much of an advantage even if its just a GS?

Both of those items are on my shopping list, I just need to get paid first, lol :hihi:

edit: never mind, car-stats's GS was a manual

Plus he's got an extra 600-ish pounds of crap in his car, so that'll slow him a little bit.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
mac_mogul said:
Does the manual really give him that much of an advantage even if its just a GS?

Both of those items are on my shopping list, I just need to get paid first, lol :hihi:

edit: never mind, car-stats's GS was a manual

Plus he's got an extra 600-ish pounds of crap in his car, so that'll slow him a little bit.
yeah, but if he installed a turbo . .. . Which is possible . . .

you need to knock of a couple of 0.10s

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
what I mean to say is, an auto can add as much as a sec to 1/4 mile times, and he can always get rid of the stuff in the trunk.

The computer generally doesn't shift at redline in 1st, (that's why you'll always notice the v6 has a fairly high 0-60 time, but closes on most cars in the 1/4) and is a bit lazier in shifts, unless you disconnect and retrain.

Just some insurance, the UDers will help you in the 2-3 shift, and the 3-4 shift especially.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kscoyote said:
unless you disconnect and retrain.
How do I do this?

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
mac_mogul said:
How do I do this?
Disconnect the battery, wait 15 minutes, & reconnect. Then do 5-6 0-60 WOT runs. Your computer will adapt to the driving style.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kscoyote said:
Disconnect the battery, wait 15 minutes, & reconnect. Then do 5-6 0-60 WOT runs. Your computer will adapt to the driving style.
Ah, sounds simple enough! Thanks :worship I'll do that ASAP :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
kscoyote said:
He runs 10 in the 1/8 mile. even with the GST, you can take him. But the oil filter isn't a performance mod.
I got one.. My friends got a 95' Eagle Talon ESI with a 5spd.. No major mods just fart cannon. I have a 96' Mustang V6 3.8 with a 5 spd.. no major mods just K&N air filter and dual exhaust. Anyone think I can take him.:eyebulge:

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
96mustangwhite said:
I got one.. My friends got a 95' Eagle Talon ESI with a 5spd.. No major mods just fart cannon. I have a 96' Mustang V6 3.8 with a 5 spd.. no major mods just K&N air filter and dual exhaust. Anyone think I can take him.:eyebulge:
what size exhaust?

if it's at 2.5" or bigger, you'd probably lose . ..

if it's 2-2.25" you'd have a slight advantage .. .

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mac_mogul said:

-thanks!
Freakin loser wussed out on me!:sterb:
Ya'll were right... shouldn't have bothere'd wasting my time :doh:

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
96mustangwhite said:
Mines 2.. his is stock besides the cannon..
you could beat him, but you're gonna have a tough time of fthe line because your gearing is so high.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.