·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 GT M6. I changed the oil at 1000 miles and then
reset the oil counter.
Now at 5700 miles the light comes on. I was planning to do the
oil changes at 5000 mile intervals.
I do have fun driving the car.but I don't abuse it. seems kind of early for the light to come on.

J-Rat

·
Registered
48 Posts
reset the oil counter.
I do have fun driving the car.but I don't abuse it. seems kind of early for the light to come on.

J-Rat
I think its set at 5000 intervals, which is kind of odd since the manual says to change oil every 10,000

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does anybody read the owner's manual? It's called the intelligent oil life monitor. It will recommend when to change the oil based on how the car has been driven. No, I'm not going to look up the page for you. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
reset the oil counter.

J-Rat
I believe that there is a TSB issued on this problem---the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor is giving this warning at 5k instead of 10k miles. This is a known problem,I believe. And can be corrected under warranty by the dealer.

(edit):

I just checked and the TSB is 1-3-35 and was issued 032911. A reprogram of the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.01 or higher will correct this problem . And this TSB says that the IOLM will have a premature indication at 5k no matter how the car is driven if it needs to be reprogrammed. . :kooky:

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I believe that there is a TSB issued on this problem---the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor is giving this warning at 5k instead of 10k miles. This is a known problem,I believe. And can be corrected under warranty by the dealer.

(edit):

I just checked and the TSB is 1-3-35 and was issued 032911. A reprogram of the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.01 or higher will correct this problem . And this TSB says that the IOLM will have a premature indication at 5k no matter how the car is driven if it needs to be reprogrammed. . :kooky:
Any idea how this reprogram might work if you have a aftermarket tune?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Any idea how this reprogram might work if you have a aftermarket tune?
Good question. I would suggest asking the vendor of the aftermarket tune and the Ford dealer before doing it. But since the OP was going to change at 5k intervals anyway-it probably wouldn't be a big deal if the ECM wasn't reprogrammed for this issue. And wouldn't be for most of us.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm planning on changing my oil every 5k too, so if it reminds me at 5k regardless of conditions and how the car was driven, I'm ok with that. Although it's not like you're generally going to forget when you change on even intervals.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does anybody read the owner's manual? It's called the intelligent oil life monitor. It will recommend when to change the oil based on how the car has been driven. No, I'm not going to look up the page for you. :)
Exactly. The computer isnt set to remind you at set intervals. It takes a lot of factors into consideration to judge the oils life. I personally wait until it hits 25% life left and change it out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I changed mine at 7700, and the oil life monitor showed 46% left. I'll stick to the 8k formula.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

(edit):

That's good info. I've been complaining for a year that mine wants changed at 5000 miles no matter how it is driven -- every single time. The last time I complained to the dealer, they had no idea.

It's in the shop now for something else (again), so I'll call them and ask about the TSB . . . assuming Phoneman ain't screwing with us.

·
Registered
174 Posts

(edit):

I just checked and the TSB is 11-3-35 and was issued 032911. A reprogram of the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.01 or higher will correct this problem . And this TSB says that the IOLM will have a premature indication at 5k no matter how the car is driven if it needs to be reprogrammed. . :kooky:
edit: I noticed that I mistyped the TSB number-it is 11-3-35 .My bad:nono:

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm confused because the oil life monitor worked fine up to the first oil change which I did @ 8670 miles at 53% oil life left. Now the OLM is telling me to change the oil already just after 13,000 miles. (+5000). I guess I'll take it in to the dealer for TSB 11-3-35 since I don't want to reset the OLM after 5000 miles. Has anyone taken their car to the dealer for this TSB?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts