Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone know how to change the running horse logo on the nav screen durring boot up? Is there a way of getting the cobra like on the shelby's or loading another pic? Would Ford be able to reprogram the Cobra instead of the horse? Any ideas or help would be great. Thabks

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
As a user you would have to be able to interface with SYNC in order to change file attributes. That would take very expensive assembly language software as well as an understanding of Micorsoft OS command line functions. I don't know for sure, but you might even need an encryption key to communicate with SYNC? I'm sure Microsoft has designed SYNC to where it isn't easy to change anything. You can liken it customizing any of the critical files in MS Windows.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Step 1: Remove HDD from the navigation module (it's in the back, two screws and a cover plate hide it

Step 2: Plug into external 2.5" enclosure, mount as external HDD

Step 3: Futz around

Step 4: ?????

Step 5: Profit!

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Step 1: Remove HDD from the navigation module (it's in the back, two screws and a cover plate hide it

Step 2: Plug into external 2.5" enclosure, mount as external HDD

Step 3: Futz around

Step 4: ?????

Step 5: Profit!
To accomplish step 5 you would have to pay a licensing fee to Microsoft first! They didn't get to be that rich from letting people change code and then sell it for free!

·
Registered
734 Posts
To accomplish step 5 you would have to pay a licensing fee to Microsoft first! They didn't get to be that rich from letting people change code and then sell it for free!
It was, uh, a joke. I take it you don't watch much South Park?

Anyway, I intend on eventually tackling this very goal. If I succeed, I will post the steps for all. I doubt it will be easy or simple, but for those who know what the difference between a variable and a string are, it should be doable.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
It was, uh, a joke. I take it you don't watch much South Park?

Anyway, I intend on eventually tackling this very goal. If I succeed, I will post the steps for all. I doubt it will be easy or simple, but for those who know what the difference between a variable and a string are, it should be doable.
Good Luck! I don't think it'll be as you described above with a hard drive dismount and hooking it up to an IDE chain, or SATA etiher! Nope, no Southpark here!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
As a side note, I'm surprised there isn't the capability to personalize the screen seeing that you can upload pics anyways.

Further, seeing that you have MyKey it would be cool if when I start the car with my key it says "Good Morning, Matthew", for the wife it should say. "Good Morning, did you get Matthew's permission for this?"

:shigrin

·
Registered
734 Posts
Good Luck! I don't think it'll be as you described above with a hard drive dismount and hooking it up to an IDE chain, or SATA etiher! Nope, no Southpark here!
Google "Underpants gnomes" and you'll get the joke. Anyway, I took the HDD in mine out for inspection, and it is a pretty standard 40gb IDE drive. You'd think it'd be SATA, since that technology's only, oh, 10 years old, but to each their own, I guess. The other thing I'm gonna see about doing is replacing it with an SSD. Do they sell IDE SSDs? lol

Further, seeing that you have MyKey it would be cool if when I start the car with my key it says "Good Morning, Matthew", for the wife it should say. "Good Morning, did you get Matthew's permission for this?"
Shouldn't it be the other way around?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Google "Underpants gnomes" and you'll get the joke. Anyway, I took the HDD in mine out for inspection, and it is a pretty standard 40gb IDE drive. You'd think it'd be SATA, since that technology's only, oh, 10 years old, but to each their own, I guess. The other thing I'm gonna see about doing is replacing it with an SSD. Do they sell IDE SSDs? lol

Shouldn't it be the other way around?
That gives you an idea of how old SYNC is and when it was originally developed. Technology has progressed past SYNC's hardware before Ford put it in a car for sale. Since you can't write MP3s to the hard drive it must pre-date that format too?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Really strange that it isn't SATA. And afaik, there are no IDE SSD's. Why replace? Reliability due to a non-moving disk? Surely not for the seek time... I'm sure the software is muuuch slower than the HDD

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Really strange that it isn't SATA. And afaik, there are no IDE SSD's. Why replace? Reliability due to a non-moving disk? Surely not for the seek time... I'm sure the software is muuuch slower than the HDD
Software slower? How can software be slow? You mean because there is so much of it a la Microsoft bloatware?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Software slower? How can software be slow? You mean because there is so much of it a la Microsoft bloatware?
I'd be surprised if the processor is much faster than 500Mhz.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sounds right. I'd laugh, but I work on avionics test benches that have 26mhz processors (and 64MB of RAM spread across 4 full-length ISA cards!). They were made in 1988. It's 5.5", 35lb, 4Gb HDD was enormously capacious for its time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
SATA has only become the standard for desktop PCs in the last few years. You always find hardware many years behind desktops with embedded systems. It gets the job done, costs a lot less, and is more reliable. A car is an environment that also requires ruggedized hardware that can handle the vibration and temperature variations. That type of stuff is always a few years behind too.

As far as hacking it, you can get an IDE to USB encloser for almost nothing. You can get IDE SSD drives, but I don't see much advantage to replacing it unless it's broken.

·
Registered
734 Posts
SATA has only become the standard for desktop PCs in the last few years. You always find hardware many years behind desktops with embedded systems. It gets the job done, costs a lot less, and is more reliable. A car is an environment that also requires ruggedized hardware that can handle the vibration and temperature variations. That type of stuff is always a few years behind too.

As far as hacking it, you can get an IDE to USB encloser for almost nothing. You can get IDE SSD drives, but I don't see much advantage to replacing it unless it's broken.
Oh my God, I just realized I said "it's" instead of "its". I'm just gonna go slit my throat now.

Anyway, I work in Naval aviation, a field which is no stranger to ruggedized - and old-as-balls - hardware.

The HDD in the Sync system, btw? Bog-standard 2.5" laptop HDD. I think it was a Fujitsu.

I haven't had a chance to go poking around the hard drive yet - frankly I kinda forgot about this - but some day I might do that. It's a pain in the **** to get the main unit out of the car - the harnesses in the back of it are really tight.

My first thought would be, why can't it be replaced with a, say, 250gb HDD? You could at least load a bit more music that way. We'll see.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You should post some pictures on how to get it out. I'm not sure I'd bother with adding a bigger drive when I can just plug in a USB drive. I would be interested in poking around config files to what can be modified.

·
Registered
734 Posts
As it happens, nope. I transferred shortly after I wrote that last post to a new command and a much more high-paced job. To be honest it completely slipped my mind until about, oh, 30 seconds ago. Now that I remember all this, I'll see if I can still **** around with it, but it won't be soon as it's rare I get a day off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts