Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
I need to change the driver side valve cover gasket on my 90 Gt so I am going to go ahead and do both. I am oldschool so I do know how to replace the gaskets on older engines but on this injected engine what other gaskets will I need to replace and what parts will I need to remove to get to these valve covers. Are there any special tools I will need.

I did find some detailed info on autozone.com about this job but if anybody has some tips to add from personal experience that would help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi,You will have to take your air inlet tube and upper intake off to do the valve cover gasket on the driver side.The passenger side will just be the 6 bolts that hold it on.My buddy changed his gaskets on the covers and re used his gasket that goes between the upper lower intake and it doesen't leak.You also have to remember where the vacuum lines go on the upper intake.Goes fairly quick with 2 people doing the job.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
It's no biggie, you'll have to take the upper off to get the drivers side but that's only 6 bolts and a couple of vacuum lines. If you're handy with tools, you can do this easy even by yourself. Nothing special is needed, just normal hand tools.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes you have to remove the throttle cable and coolant lines.

G

·
the info given above right on...

just to add.. since you have to pull the upper intake i'd replace that gasket also.

if may offer a suggestion for the future invest the money in purchasing the Haynes and/or the Chilton repair manual

there is a cornucopia of information & pics

·
Registered
28 Posts
I highly recommend the ford racing (or equivelant) rubber surround type gaskets over cork. I used them on my car with great results havent heard anything bad about them from others either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am glad I looked in the forums to see on how to change the valve cover gasket, great info.
One question though, do I need to drain any of the coolant?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi,No draining of the coolant is needed.One thing though,If your throttle body has 2 small rubber lines on the sides of it you will get some coolant from there cause the anti-freeze runs through the T/B to keep it cool I guess.I disconnected mine and blocked the lines off and now my T/B and intake is cooler then before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.