Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the computer chip that governs your top speed? If so, is it illegal. If it's not illegal, would the dealer install it?
I've heard that the onboard computer kicks in when you reach a pre-determined top speed of 143 mph.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nope, it's not illegal. Many cars do not have a top speed limiter...if they do, it normally has more to do with the tires they put on the car rather than legal reasons. Every car on the road is capable of speeding, so there is no real reason why they would limit it, other than for equipment limitations.

Any tuner can disable the speed limitor, such as an X-calibrator.

·
Registered
260 Posts
But....if you're asking about what's legal and plan to go above 143, why worry about the consequences of changing the chip when....oh, never mind......

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ford told me it stops at 141 to prevent engine damage -- I was also told it voids your warranty if removed.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
RedFire_Dave said:
Ford told me it stops at 141 to prevent engine damage -- I was also told it voids your warranty if removed.
what is this 141 - 143 mph BS?? i thought the '05 was supposed to top out at 150????:madas:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GTNOS said:
what is this 141 - 143 mph BS?? i thought the '05 was supposed to top out at 150????:madas:
That's what I would like to know! What is the actual top speed of the GT before the governor kicks in. Does anyone out there know? It's not that I want to go faster, I'm just curious about the top speed and this computer chip that controls the top speed. I had my GT up to 120 mph for a quick burst and it seemed as though I still had a lot of pedal left. I "chickened" out when I had visions of a cop car up around the corner!!

G

·
i've been to 140...(yesterday with a maserati gt spyder...giggle giggle)...it seemed like i coulda kept going...any brave men gone faster? its the only way we'll know

·
Registered
70 Posts
mustang_randy said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the computer chip that governs your top speed? If so, is it illegal. If it's not illegal, would the dealer install it?
I've heard that the onboard computer kicks in when you reach a pre-determined top speed of 143 mph.
The speed limitation is programmed in based on the tire speed rating. it can be changed. The powertrain controller uses flash memory. However, I would not even consider changing the maximum speed unless you replace the tires with higher speed rated tires. If you exceed the speed rating of the tires you may have your tire tread fly apart.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Take a good look at your hood at very high speed (anything over 120 I think is very high speed...). DON'T take your eyes off the road... BUT Take a good look at your hood and what it does.....but remember don't take your eyes off the road and its exposures....

Let me know what you see going on with the hood...... (but remember, don't take your eyes off the road....)

Two things to take notice of:
1) I have heard that the hood worbles and buckles around a bit.
2) I have heard that the rear bumper cover shakes bad. I think the reason the '06 has 2 flaps in front of the gas tank on the bottom of the car is to redirect airflow to stop this rear bumper action.

G

·
i took a good look at it...was at about 130...nothing...no shake...no vibration at all....and no cars at all out by the beach...so i was looking hard....then again i do have another grille so i dont know if that changed the airflow from a stock gt...and i have a 2006 gt so i guess i wouldnt notice that rear shake you mentioned

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sam_abuelsamid said:
The speed limitation is programmed in based on the tire speed rating. it can be changed. The powertrain controller uses flash memory. However, I would not even consider changing the maximum speed unless you replace the tires with higher speed rated tires. If you exceed the speed rating of the tires you may have your tire tread fly apart.
Thanks for that information. I do believe the Perelli ZR tires that come on the GT are rated at 186 mph. Can anybody verify this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
mustang_randy said:
That's what I would like to know! What is the actual top speed of the GT before the governor kicks in. Does anyone out there know? It's not that I want to go faster, I'm just curious about the top speed and this computer chip that controls the top speed. I had my GT up to 120 mph for a quick burst and it seemed as though I still had a lot of pedal left. I "chickened" out when I had visions of a cop car up around the corner!!
Hi There!
It´s my first post in the Forum, so hello to everybody! You are talking about my biggest problem on the German Autobahn. The car is going easily up to 145mph :laughlitt and if you look on the tachometer it could go faster because it only makes 4.500revs! So I bought a Predator and switched off the Speed limiter. Now the Engines goes in the emergency mode when I go that fast:sosad: So where can I find somebody to write me a new program for top speed? every Chrysler 300C is faster here:weeps

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used the SCT XCalibrator to reflash my computer.
I had it to about 155 but then backed off because I saw a pair of headlights coming a couple of miles ahead.
It was on a rarely traveled, unpopulated, fairly level & very straight stretch of country road. And I know I'm not real bright to be going that fast! Just wanted to see how fast she'd go & I don't plan on doing that again. In 5th it accelerates pretty slow but I had some RPMS left and I think it would get to about 160-170.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts