Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 2003 stang gt would full synthetic be appropriate to use it has 45k on it
So i would like to know what everyone else uses?????

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
5W20 Dyno Oil.......

If you change it often, there's really no advantage to running synthetic.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
I use 5w-30 mobil 1 for my car,no problems ever with the car.
Same here, although I recently switched to Pennzoil Platinum. Motorcraft filter, change it every 5K.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Motorcraft synthetic blend, 5000 miles, just as the factory recommends.

·
Registered
629 Posts
mobil-1 5w 20 full synthetic.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mobil one here as well, though I think those using Motorcraft have zilch to worry about.

The thing that bugs me about "synthetic blend" oils is that we don't know the ratio of the "blend"...

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Asking what oil everyone uses here is like asking what toilet paper you prefer. You're going to pretty much hear everything.

I didn't put the brand in mine, I typically use Castrol or Mobil 1, depends on what's on sale at the time. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Castrol 5/30 Synth here.

Advantages of Synth;

1. most are 35% synth + 35% dyno + 30% synth additives, so you are using more synthetic compounds (less dyno oil) so it is more "eco" than regular oil.
2. You can extend your oil change to 20k miles, so price ratio is almost the same as dyno oil.
3. Better lubrication properties
4. Better fuel economy

I know it is a pain to pay that much more, but in reality in the long run it is better for your car, environment and wallet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Castrol 5/30 Synth here.

Advantages of Synth;

1. most are 35% synth + 35% dyno + 30% synth additives, so you are using more synthetic compounds (less dyno oil) so it is more "eco" than regular oil.
2. You can extend your oil change to 20k miles, so price ratio is almost the same as dyno oil.
3. Better lubrication properties
4. Better fuel economy

I know it is a pain to pay that much more, but in reality in the long run it is better for your car, environment and wallet.
You say 2oK mi? That's alot. We're running 5w30 Royal Purple but not sure if we should keep using it. Heck, we were about to change the oil, it's been 3k miles since last change. How often should we change it if we stay w Royal Purple? Can you even switch to conventional or part synthetic? hate to throw away money.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
With 45k you should have no problem changing to a syn oil but.... I had a 98 z28 with 155k and all people did was tell me use syn use syn. So one day I went out and got Mobil 1. After that the car burned oil at a rapid rate. I never had that problem with Castrol GTX. The problem is with older cars seals are weak and brittle and oil can leak threw them, Or there is some sludge holding crap in place hiding a leak. Bottom line is if there is a weak spot a syn oil will find it. That camaro is gone now and now since I got my 04 GT with 48k nothing But Castrol goes in it because I'm not risking that crap again. 3k changes or every 3months is what I do. Do that and it will run well past 200k. I think syn Oils are good if the car had it since new. Woaahh old thread just realized that!!!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You say 2oK mi? That's alot. We're running 5w30 Royal Purple but not sure if we should keep using it. Heck, we were about to change the oil, it's been 3k miles since last change. How often should we change it if we stay w Royal Purple? Can you even switch to conventional or part synthetic? hate to throw away money.
20k miles yeah id like to see his engine. Even with a 20k change the oil filter will still need to be changed because they only last 5k or so. If you are changing 3k like I am just use conventional oil and it will be fine. I never had a problem. Your wasting your money

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
The only oil I'm aware of that allows for 20K change intervals (per their own advertising, and I think it's 15K) is Amsoil Signature Series. And that extended interval is also dependant on using their Sig. Series filter to go with it.

For a fluid such as Royal Purple, I've been told by others who know more about this than myself that you can safely run that stuff 10K if a high quality filter is used. Otherwise, change the filter at 5-7500 miles and replace the fluid lost in the filter change. That is what I have been told.

Personally, I'm way too OCD about that shiz to do 10K+ intervals.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We had a customer in a shop where I used to work who swore by Amsoil and changed it every 10,000 miles in his Fiero. It looked like tar when we drained it. The last I knew he was on his third engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts