Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For starters, this video is a good start. The back panels are quite fun.

YouTube - ‪2005-2009 Ford Mustang Speaker Replacement How-To Guide‬‏

Ford's cost for the factory speakers must be about 5 bucks. The front factory speaker brackets need a little trimming so you can align the speakers. The front doors are fairly easy. The rear panels take some patience, force, and some more patience.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Nice writeup. I had installed mine a few weekends ago and overall, the door speakers of the new Mustang are the easiest door speakers I have ever installed, and i've installed quite a few.

However, the rear speakers are a bit trickier. One must remove the rear plastic panels to either side of the seats (seats in collapsed position).

First, remove the "Mustang" sill plate (it just pulls right off - what I call "Lego" off) in order to take off the interior panels.

Next, you remove the 3 upholstery tacks holding each panel on, then one just pulls straight out and unhooks the plastic edge connected to the door frame. It just Legos off once you get the door edge off.

After that, remove the plastic upholstery tacks holding down the rear deck carpet and remove the carpet.

Finally, remove the screws holding down the stock speakers. Yes, they are a pain to get at, but not as bad as other cars I have worked with.

Install the new speakers and reinstall everything in reverse order.

ENJOY!!!! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
510 Posts
Any notably problematic or breakage prone connections like on many older Fords? I think I broke at least one connector each time I removed the door panel on both my '96 GT and '94 Crown Vic. Definately looking at speaker upgrades in the future, just not worth any risk at the moment- this is definately a VERY acceptable sounding stock base model stereo.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I haven't broken anything and ive taken each panel of twice. There is only one accident prone piece: the door handle plastic plate, but if you use your screwdriver to pry it off at the lower handle pivot point you will be alright, even if you mess up.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buying a panel remover is the ticket to not snapping the push pin tabs, well for the first 3 or 4 times anyaway. The doors are actually well designed. I remember when you had to pry the doors off. I like the Lego-off comment. Snapping everything back together actually was a little more difficult than pulling them apart.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
There is another thread about speaker replacement in the 2011+ Talk section. Good info there as well. You guys have base or premium V6's?

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I think I will just change the front ones.:winks

·
Registered
572 Posts
I like the music in the video

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good stuff, with the base 4 speaker setup, would replacing just the door speakers really help the sound, or do you have to do them all to actually hear a noticeable difference?

Hows the bass without any subs, i dont want this to kill my Jamerson songs :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just went through this replacement scenario on my 2012. I did the door speakers a week ago. It was a noticeable improvement but I could tell the difference in the sound between front and back. This last weekend I changed the rear speakers. This made things much better and it sounded great. I also added an amp/sub combo that day. Now I love the sound of my stereo.

Do not fear changing the rear speakers. Just take your time. Remove all the trim pieces front to back, remove the rear seat bottom, lower the seat backs, and pull out the rear deck cover. At that point it is 4 screws per speaker. Put everything back in reverse and your are golden.

I highly advise going ahead and running your sub wiring at this time. It is all apart anyway. Might as well get it over with.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I like the idea of running the sub wires, although I doubt I'll put one in I do have some new speakers I'll be installing soon (Focal Access 5x7's) good hint..thx

·
Registered
381 Posts
Do not fear changing the rear speakers. Just take your time. Remove all the trim pieces front to back, remove the rear seat bottom, lower the seat backs, and pull out the rear deck cover. At that point it is 4 screws per speaker. Put everything back in reverse and your are golden.

I highly advise going ahead and running your sub wiring at this time. It is all apart anyway. Might as well get it over with.
He is right, might as well do it all at once. My plan was to replace the door speakers and add a mono amp and sub. I did not care much for the rear speakers since i use them only for fill and they're not much noticeable. But, i had to remove the side panel in the back on the passenger side to get my 4GA power line to the trunk and remove the other side to pass the audio signal to the amp as well as wiring for future stereo amp for the front speakers...... so, since the back seat and all was fully apart, i decided to replace the rear speakers before reassembling. And i am happy i did because i do notice the difference. And guess what? Just a few weeks later, i installed a stereo amp for the fronts... .glad i did all the work at once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts