Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to change the air filter on my 1998 GT convertible, however I'm not really sure on how to get to it. It's behind the passenger side headlight. Anyone familiar with the changing of this type of air filter. Thank you

·
Registered
701 Posts
Kathy,

Disconnect the cables going to the MAF, and to the air temperature sensor. This would be on the air intake hose.
Open the clamp on that big black plastic box (air filter housing), attatched to the passenger side inner fender.
Slide the rear part backwards (MAF & air filter housing back plate) and move it to the side.
Now grab into the front part of the air filter housing and take the air filter out.
-replace with new- (I use Ford parts)
Push the back part of the filter housing into the filter and into the front part of the housing and put the clamp around the air filter housing.
!!! This can be a problem, because the clamp has to go into the exact same position than it was before. That's because the clamp has to lign up around the plastic notch which is located at the bottom of the air filter housing and it is barely visible in the installed position !!!

If you can't put it together propperly, your best bet is to take the whole air filter housing out of the car (1 screw which is attached to the fender wall, and 1 clamp which attaches to the big intake hose) and assemble it outside the car.

If you are done installing do not forget to attach the 2 sensor cables again.

Have fun

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
and if you haven't purchased parts yet, replacing the stock air filter (works fine) with a K&N filter works better. And check (or have someone check) your tire pressure (at least every month)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Engineer and Meatball for your instructions and advice. I was able to change out the filter without any problems. Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.