Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy about how the stock ECU starts breaking up at around 6500RPM and he had mentioned that he heard of some guys swapping in a processor from a Lincoln mark VIII because its 18MH instead of 15MH, Anyone else hear of this? He told me it wouldnt start breaking up till about 7000RPM if it was done.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Nope never heard this.

Plus what are you doing spinning this combo past 6,000?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made peak HP at 6400RPM. This all might change when the 363 goes in but i would like a little leway for the ecu

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Interesting, what cam?

What chip are you using for that custom tune?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a TFS "stage 2" cam and an sct chip dyno tuned

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
He is talking about processor speed. Never really a clear number, but in the area of 6500-6800, the processor has a hard time keeping up. Some will try the crystal mod and it helps by about 400-700 rpms.

Keep in mind, if you keep basically the some top end for the 363, you probably won't be driving that high in the rpms, unless its at the traps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you have heard of this then? Does it matter what year Mark VIII it comes from?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And yes same top end just might port the heads

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Yes, but its not as cut and dry as replacing the processor. You are basically over clocking the ECM. Using a 18mhz processor in stead of a 15mhz processor. Problem is it effects most if not all of then tables. You would have to retune it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that re-tuning is in my near future anyways going with a bigger motor so not really worried about that. do you know where I could find these crystals?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Why not just run the newer ecu?

Back in the day, the only ecu that could be tuned was the A9* series...

Today, there isn't much limit on what can be tuned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts