Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing my heads, my battery doesn't charge. Voltage across terminals doesn't increase. The alternator doesn't turn on. I pulled the alternator and had it tested at a shop. It tested OK. I'm getting battery voltage on the yellow wire on the D connector and 12v switched on the green wire. I also have continuity from the alt output post to the starter solenoid. All my fuses are good. The battery is six months old. I checked my grounds. Visual inspection of the harness looks OK. What am I missing?
Maybe my D connector is bad?
It's an 86 Mustang that I converted to a 1 wire set up about 2 years ago.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
is your belt tight?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems tight, the belt is new, but my tentioner is almost 20 years old. May be time for a new one.

·
Registered
897 Posts
whthorse86 said:
After replacing my heads, my battery doesn't charge. Voltage across terminals doesn't increase. The alternator doesn't turn on. I pulled the alternator and had it tested at a shop. It tested OK. I'm getting battery voltage on the yellow wire on the D connector and 12v switched on the green wire. I also have continuity from the alt output post to the starter solenoid. All my fuses are good. The battery is six months old. I checked my grounds. Visual inspection of the harness looks OK. What am I missing?
Maybe my D connector is bad?
It's an 86 Mustang that I converted to a 1 wire set up about 2 years ago.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
That would be a good guess since all voltage checks are correct. Even if you checked output post wire continuity to the starter solenoid, check the output voltage @idle directly at the alternator. Any of the two connectors may be the problem. LUK/GL

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get batt voltage on the alt post at idle. I'll try to put pressure on the tentioner and try a voltage reading. I only took a 5 minute ride with the new heads(185 AFR) the thing was nuts. Big diff from the GT40 heads.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
You're telling me. I went from gt40p heads to trickflow track heat. I couldnt stop hauling ass for 2 weeks. Its awesome.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you get some PSI into them, they will have to surgically remove the grin from your face. I can 't get my stang started now, it cranks though. I think the batt voltage went too low and it freaked out my Tweeker. It happened once before. I got it on a trickle charge now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.