Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 Mustang convertible. Just replaced the Alt & Voltage regulator. However my ALT light in the instrument panel is burnt out. I am not getting a charge? Has anyone heard that the light completes the circuit and that the system will not charge when this light is out?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Not sure but I doubt it. The bulb circuit is for a tiny bit of current while the charging system is for a huge amount. The dash is a PIA to remove, so when you do replace all the bulbs.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have a 1965 Mustang convertible. Just replaced the Alt & Voltage regulator. However my ALT light in the instrument panel is burnt out. I am not getting a charge? Has anyone heard that the light completes the circuit and that the system will not charge when this light is out?
Thanks
I have a 65 Convertible also, and I found the instrument cluster easy to remove. Four screws and it falls out. Put a towel on the steering column or the cluster will scratch it. Once the screws are out, you can pull it forward slightly and then unscrew the speedo cable, which allows the cluster to rest on the column. From this position, you can remove the plug and its bulb in question. A quick trip to NAPA is all that is needed. :)

Or you could "steal" the hi-beam indicator bulb and swap it with the charge light and test if it will now charge. Normally, that bulb is not active, so I doubt it is the cause of your no charge situation, but I could be wrong. Double check your connections on the new regulator, or you could have a defective unit.

Take a look at these too: http://hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/wiring/wiring1965.htm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

Not sure but I doubt it. The bulb circuit is for a tiny bit of current while the charging system is for a huge amount. The dash is a PIA to remove, so when you do replace all the bulbs.
Thank you for your reply and how to work with the dash. FYI I did speak to 2 different Mustang shops this morning and they both confirmed that the light does in fact complete the circuit. Not all the current goes through the light. It only completes the circuit. When the bulb does not light, for whatever reason it may be, burnt out or ALT problem or V. regulator problem, there is no charge. No doubt just 1 of many goofy things our 1960's auto manufactures were doing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Confirmed

Thank you for your reply and your thoughts on this matter. Much appreciated. I did speak to 2 different Mustang shops this morning and they both confirmed that the light does in fact complete the circuit. Not all the current goes through the light. It only completes the circuit. When the bulb does not light up, for whatever reason it may be. Burnt out bulb or ALT problem or Voltage regulator problem. There is no charge to the battery. No doubt just 1 of many goofy things our 1960's Ford auto manufactures were doing.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Ford wasn't the only one. VW's were like that too. I wasn't sure on the Mustang so I kept my mouth shut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts