Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im considering building up a 87-93 block to drop into my 67 coupe. I am new to the mechanic scene, im 24 and this is my first muscle car. Any way i was looking at stroking/stroking kits and they're extremely expensive for me right now. While i was researching I wondered if i could throw a 5.4 crank into a 5.0 block and come out with a 5.0 stroked to 5.4? Would this work? It'd only cost 300 dolla. Insight, wisdom, suggestions, links to material. Please and thank you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Look at coasthigh.com for stroker kits at a decent price

·
Registered
212 Posts
And A 5.4 crank would not work in your block

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You could find a decent 351 windsor and put some GT40 heads (with bolt holes machined to 1/2") on it. With a decent intake, carb, cam and exhaust you could probably clear 350 hp I would think. It will, for the most part, drop right in where a 302 goes as they are very close to the same size. I'd venture to say you would be in it for less money...and have more cubes and torque.

I built a 351w for my first motor swap instead of messing with the 302. With the heads, cam, intake, and exhaust on a 10+ compression motor...it was estimated to be in the 500hp range @ flywheel. It ran pretty good...still have it in my shop. lol. I have the shortblock, plus some gt40 heads.

·
Registered
233 Posts
building a stroker motor isnt cheap by any means. I started my "budget" 347 stroker build a few months ago, $4000 later, im still NOT done. I have to buy a few more things and finally drop it in. If your looking to save cost i would also suggest a 351 swap.

·
Registered
653 Posts
When i first started getting into the small block ford engines I thought I was gonna stroke my 302 to a 331 and build that up. Then I started looking into the 351w swap. After researching it quite heavily for about a year I decided to go with it. Fact of it is, you can get more displacement from a stock 351w than you can comfortably get with a stock 302 block. I did the swap using a 94 351w that I bought from a guy for $150 complete with everything from throttle body to oil pan. It will take some time tinkering with what parts you can reuse and what you are gonna have to buy new. The trick is, don't buy anything new when cheap used parts are available. My entire engine build and swap parts were less than 2500 not including swap headers.

When you build a 351w there are many things that you are going to replace one way or another when building a 302 or a 351:
-clutch
-flywheel. Either resurface stock or buy new replacement
- motor mounts
- full exhaust with the focus on the headers. get longtubes and be done with it

other than that, you need an oil pan for the swap which can be had for less that 150 from for racing. includes dipstick, and a new oil pump pickup and I think the gasket was there too.

I used the factory ford harmonic balancer, crankshaft, rods(with ARP rod bolts of course), water pump and timing cover might have been from the 302 or 351w. Other than that, you need a good set of heads, a cam to match them and the power band you intend to use the engine in, and an intake that can flow what you need.

All in all its a process, but if you have another car you can use for a daily driver for a few months while you come up with the money and do the build you will be very happy with it. A lot of potential for serious power. Just remember that you will only make as much power as the heads, cam and intake can support.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
When i first started getting into the small block ford engines I thought I was gonna stroke my 302 to a 331 and build that up. Then I started looking into the 351w swap. After researching it quite heavily for about a year I decided to go with it. Fact of it is, you can get more displacement from a stock 351w than you can comfortably get with a stock 302 block. I did the swap using a 94 351w that I bought from a guy for $150 complete with everything from throttle body to oil pan. It will take some time tinkering with what parts you can reuse and what you are gonna have to buy new. The trick is, don't buy anything new when cheap used parts are available. My entire engine build and swap parts were less than 2500 not including swap headers.

When you build a 351w there are many things that you are going to replace one way or another when building a 302 or a 351:
-clutch
-flywheel. Either resurface stock or buy new replacement
- motor mounts
- full exhaust with the focus on the headers. get longtubes and be done with it

other than that, you need an oil pan for the swap which can be had for less that 150 from for racing. includes dipstick, and a new oil pump pickup and I think the gasket was there too.

I used the factory ford harmonic balancer, crankshaft, rods(with ARP rod bolts of course), water pump and timing cover might have been from the 302 or 351w. Other than that, you need a good set of heads, a cam to match them and the power band you intend to use the engine in, and an intake that can flow what you need.

All in all its a process, but if you have another car you can use for a daily driver for a few months while you come up with the money and do the build you will be very happy with it. A lot of potential for serious power. Just remember that you will only make as much power as the heads, cam and intake can support.
+ around a million

Good, inexpensive, used parts work awesome. I built my 359w for around 2500 as well. Full machinework, balanced, 10:1 Keithblack forged pistons, BUILT patriot freedom heads, arps fasteners, clevite bearings, supervictor efi intake, 90mm accufab TB, intake elbow, 5qt swap pan, pump, timing, comp cam, balancer, sfi flexplate, 1972 block, hooker swap headers...EVERYTHING for less than a 331/347. And it would pretty easily out run my pal's 347 fox. It is do-able! Heck, If I was sure this new turbo setup would work, I'd sell you my 359w shorblock and the GT40p heads.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
No such thing as a cheap stroker.

Sticking in a 5.4 crank will not work. On a stroker the rod length is different as are the pistons size.

Let's not forget you have to pay to have the block machined which also cost money.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
You could find a decent 351 windsor and put some GT40 heads (with bolt holes machined to 1/2") on it. With a decent intake, carb, cam and exhaust you could probably clear 350 hp I would think. It will, for the most part, drop right in where a 302 goes as they are very close to the same size. I'd venture to say you would be in it for less money...and have more cubes and torque.

I built a 351w for my first motor swap instead of messing with the 302. With the heads, cam, intake, and exhaust on a 10+ compression motor...it was estimated to be in the 500hp range @ flywheel. It ran pretty good...still have it in my shop. lol. I have the shortblock, plus some gt40 heads.

gt40 heads do not even flow good on a 302. How do you figure they will produ ce more power on a 351? Use 302 parts on a 351 you will still have a 302.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts