Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1965 mustang with I think a 289 and I'm looking for more horsepower. I know how to get cheap horsepower on modern cars through intake and tune. How can I get cheap horsepower for an old car. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
The cheapest is a too start with a free flowing exhaust (headers optional at this point), this won't net much hp, but to increase the breathing on the intake side, you have to improve the breathing on the exhaust. Then get a 4B carb (no bigger than 570-600 cfm with vacuum secondaries) and a 4B dual plane intake for a 289-302 ford (ebay is a place you can check). If you still want more, then the camshaft has to be changed, along with some other mods to the valve train, stiffer valve springs and maybe screw-in rocker studs. And if you still want more, then the heads have to be changed to some better breathing ones. And if you still want more, rear axle gears will make the biggest change for the buck, but with lower gas mileage and increased wear on the engine and transmission. Sometimes more HP is addicting, once you get some, you keep wanting more. My 2 cts. Good Luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I only have headers with an h pipe ending at the front wheels and glasspacks on those so I think I'm good on that. It has a 4bbl carb so I think next is a high rise intake. What is a dual plane intake

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Thanks. I only have headers with an h pipe ending at the front wheels and glasspacks on those so I think I'm good on that. It has a 4bbl carb so I think next is a high rise intake. What is a dual plane intake
Simple explanation (the only one I know...): A high rise intake is a single plane. On the Edelbrock Torker I had on my '66 289 for awhile it was a straight shot from the carb to the intake; i.e., no bends. A dual plane is flatter and has bends in the passages.

The downside to a high rise intake, at least for the Torker, is hood clearance; high rise intakes are generally taller than dual plane. With the air cleaner I first used, it wouldn't clear the hood, so I cut a hole in the hood and put a scoop on it. Several years later I found a low-slung air cleaner that would just barely clear the hood, so I removed the scoop and patched the hole. The paint has cracked around the hole patch, and I've been told it will always do that. So I'm going to replace the hood when I repaint the car.

I still have the Torker if you decide you want to go that route. Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested in buying it.

·
0 Posts
you can not run a high ris intake of anytype. an eddy non rpm is a dual plane and will look nice but wont do a lot to improve your power. install nitrous whill blow your engine up or o a cam intake and gearing at the same time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
67cpe

Explain yourself better please ..... first you say nitrous and now you are saying nitrous will blow your engine up .... which is it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you can not run a high ris intake of anytype. an eddy non rpm is a dual plane and will look nice but wont do a lot to improve your power. install nitrous whill blow your engine up or o a cam intake and gearing at the same time.
Why cant I do a highrise?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Simple explanation (the only one I know...): A high rise intake is a single plane. On the Edelbrock Torker I had on my '66 289 for awhile it was a straight shot from the carb to the intake; i.e., no bends. A dual plane is flatter and has bends in the passages.

The downside to a high rise intake, at least for the Torker, is hood clearance; high rise intakes are generally taller than dual plane. With the air cleaner I first used, it wouldn't clear the hood, so I cut a hole in the hood and put a scoop on it. Several years later I found a low-slung air cleaner that would just barely clear the hood, so I removed the scoop and patched the hole. The paint has cracked around the hole patch, and I've been told it will always do that. So I'm going to replace the hood when I repaint the car.

I still have the Torker if you decide you want to go that route. Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested in buying it.
A Weiand Stealth is a dual plane high rise design intake.

If I run any type of spacer on my 5.0 it would not clear the hood, so I have an Edelbrock metal adapter plate in between the carb and intake. It gets it off the intake about 1/8 to 1/4" of an inch. I had my carb sent out to be professionally built and hot rodded, this is what he said to do.

·
0 Posts
Why cant I do a highrise?
its complicated to explain. they make different manifolds and other parts for a reason. all parts must be matched to obtain optimum perf from each part. your stock cam will work better overall with a kow rise dual plane than it will with anything else. its a proven fact. a torker is an xlnt manifold for a certain app. i have had many and i like them but ity is a stupid manifold for your app you will loose bottom end perf. installing a 7000 rpm manifold will not make your engine turn 7900 rpm.

·
0 Posts
A Weiand Stealth is a dual plane high rise design intake.

If I run any type of spacer on my 5.0 it would not clear the hood, so I have an Edelbrock metal adapter plate in between the carb and intake. It gets it off the intake about 1/8 to 1/4" of an inch. I had my carb sent out to be professionally built and hot rodded, this is what he said to do.
hi what intake do you have? what cam do you have? if the spacer is steel you should nut run it. i would also block off the exhaust cross over unless it was usuall less than 30 degrees when i drove it. if it is a std 1 inch spacer try it with and without it. its a fun test. you may or may not notice a differ ce. intakes are designed a certain height for a reason. it s mainly engs with stupid hp that benefit from them and this is on top end mainly. there are zillions of dyno comparison tests done on them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What should I set the timing to. This is my first small block ford
Stock timing is at 10°BTDC I set mine to 14° on a nice hot day with no problems, could probably even run 16° but the weather up here in WA state is wacky as hell. Just make sure you run 92 octane or anything above 10 or 11° will have you pinging.

Make sure to get the engine to operating temperature first too. coolbeans.gif

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't run high octane unless you have a high compression engine,,it won't do anything but cost you at the pump,,,

HowStuffWorks "What does octane mean?"
It needs a higher octane to prevent a knock because a higher octane gas basically takes longer to burn, but it's a better burn. But this longer burn time works for us as it compensates for the spark plug firing some milliseconds sooner than usual.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts