Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 gt, automatic tranny, 25$ cold air intake from ebay, mobil 1 5w-30
----------------------------------------------------------------------

im new to the mustang world and i love my ride. its pretty fast now but i wanna make it even faster but dont have much money to spend on it. any suggestions on beefing the HP without spending a crap load of money,,thanks

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Hey welcome to the site, i hve a 2002 mustang gt. i got my cold air intake from ebay brand new 65 dollars shipped to my door. Some exhaust would be what i would do next. i got my bbk off road xpipe for 91 dollars shipped to my door, it was used for 5000miles the guy totaled his car. cat back flowmasters were on the car when i bought it but ihave seen them for sale for under 350 dollars on ebay... new. if you wanna go a little bit higher in price, id go with a diablo sport predator tuner, i know a place that sells for 399 ad they give you free next day shipping and pc interface kit so you can hook it up to your pc which is like 35 dollars extra. With my Xpipe and the Tuner i dropped .4 off my 1/4 time, i think it might run a little faster i still spun off the line, but thats what i ran. I also have a steeda Shifter, 179.99 from mustang tuning, 189.99 for the shifter& shifter knob combo, like i got because it gives a better look. Anyhow it all depends on what you want. Gears are relatively cheap also, but the installation is whats expensive, which is what i am going for next. Oh, maybe a 75MM Throttle Body and plenum combo for $420. A good site with free shipping over 50 bucks is

www.mustangtuning.com

check it out, good price, anyhow let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
364 Posts
JimmyBoy said:
2002 gt, automatic tranny, 25$ cold air intake from ebay, mobil 1 5w-30
Jimmy -- I don't mean to rain on your parade, but more than likely a $25 CAI isn't doing squat for your horsepower. Unless you got a used K&N or Demolet, a cheap CAI is all looks. Some of them have even been shown to reduce airflow, not increase it. The stock Ford intake really isn't too bad -- if you want to help your airflow without dropping big coin, get yourself a K&N filter (about $35) for the stock airbox.

Also do what Carguy said -- get gears -- they're are far and away the best bang for the buck you can do. Figure $400 total for gears and install.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Gears are definitely the best bang for the buck. Also if you want to free up some power and get better milage, swap over to synthetic lube in the rear end.

·
Registered
736 Posts
K&N, gears, synthetic fluids. The best way to make your car faster is to learn how to drive it. Practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
NoSlow5oh said:
K&N, gears, synthetic fluids.
-- agree w/the 3 suggestions. Check your tire press now and frequently.

·
Registered
436 Posts
welcome to the site.....u will find a lot of useful info here....
gears, CAI, exhaust are the route i would go....

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Jimmy will get most bang for buck, though initial expense is on high side, from a set of gears. Everything after that will be icing on cake.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hey Jimmy, Welcome to the world of Mustangs. I also have an 02 GT auto, so far, I've only done the exhaust ( Flowmaster 40 series) intake (K&N), but the 4.10 gears are on the way along with a Superchips tuner :happyhapp . This site will provide you with all the info and opinions you could ever hope to find!! Keep in mind that your car is YOUR car, but at the same time remember that its a MUSTANG!!! Horsepower isn't exactly cheap so be prepared, take it in steps, don't get into too much of a rush, the parts will always be there. I had the " Gotta have it now!" syndrome, in fact, I think I still have it.... but I realized parts for our cars are EVERYWHERE!!! So take your time, learn what you need to, and there is no such thing as a stupid question. Someone in here will have the answer. But before you ask, go through the forums to see if its been asked before. 9 times out of 10, its been asked and its been answered. But anyway, WELCOME to the Brotherhood:wavey

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The gears they are referring to are in the rear differential (rear axle). They act as a torque multiplier that gets the car moving. The higher the number numerically, a lower gear, the faster your car will accelerate and get to the sweet spot in the power range. Due to Auto and standard transmissions being geared differently and different rear gear is needed to maximize the car’s performance potential or fuel economy. So, gear choice is determined by objective you are looking for. I haven’t found too many people that modify Mustangs that are hung up on MPG. My first V8 stared getting closer to GPM, however, it did only qualify as a street car because I had it registered and tagged. At some point I went overboard with it and it became just too wild to drive on a simple cruise. Someone mentioned it before, take your time with the mods and don’t get carried away. A car that does a wheel-stand looks cool, but it’s a different story for the guy behind the wheel. A set of 4.56:1 gears can get some interesting results.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Cold air kits are worthless. Ring & pinion are the most cost effective way to make your car quicker.
I bet the OP no longer owns a Mustang or is probably dead. Like this thread was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my mods. on my stang

hello, im kenny from richmond va.got a 03 mustanggt havent ran it yet. so far ive installed cold air induction, sct flasher. its a auto trans.stock gears 327. 245-50-18 tires.i kind of wonder what it would run at the strip at this time. planing on installing 75mm thorttle&intake, thanks:grinroll:

·
Registered
48 Posts
hello, im kenny from richmond va.got a 03 mustanggt havent ran it yet. so far ive installed cold air induction, sct flasher. its a auto trans.stock gears 327. 245-50-18 tires.i kind of wonder what it would run at the strip at this time. planing on installing 75mm thorttle&intake, thanks:grinroll:
Sounds like you're heading in the right direction my friend! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 mustang GT 4.6L. It's running weird, it seems like my air intake filter is clogged because it runs better with my mass air sensor unhooked for about 10 min. Then it gets boggy. But I have a vacuum leak an have checked all my hoses. Could it be my intake manifold? I need help. Also, when I floor the throttle it jumps down and takes off but it repeatedly does it until I let off a little.. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
123 Posts
wow this thread was brought back from the dead a few times. 2005 I was 15...
Lets keep this going a little longer. I have a cat back Flowmaster with K&N intake and 3.73 gears. Just trying to talk the ole lady into letting me buy the 70mm throttle body plenum combo and a tuner. I think Ill stop at that until I can figure out just what it is I am going to do with it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts