Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if anything has any tips for free and/or cheap mods they've done to their Mustang.

Just a few things that I've done which have all been fairly inexpensive:
- Smoked front side markers
- Sylvania Silverstar Ultra fog light bulbs
- Sylvania Silverstar reverse light bulbs
- LED license plate bulbs
- Tri-bar pony valve stem caps (removed though)

Just trying to see if anyone on a budget is modding their Mustang and finding great deals on small mods and care to share. I look forward to hearing and seeing some things you've come up with. :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Remove all the silly stickers stripes on the vehicle - free
Remove the foam from the sound tube on the V8s - free
Lower air pressure in tires - free
K&N air filter - cheep but free to clean and reuse

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took off the tape stripe the day I brought it home! Next to tint, best mod I've done.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
734 Posts
Don't do any of those, especially the valve stem covers. Ford will void your entire warranty if you put different valve stem covers on the car.

I'm kidding. Or am I?

On a thread-related note, though, I've had great luck with the Hoen Xenonmatch fog light bulbs, especially if you have HIDs. You can see the difference. Don't know if they work better or worse than the Silverstars, but they do serve a bit different a purpose.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Nokya bulbs H13/H11
Hood spears
Speakers
VHT Nite Shades (blacks out lights)
iPad protector for radio faceplate
SickSpeed shift knob
Various cleaning supplies from Chemical Guys
A proper microfiber scrubber and microfiber towels

·
Registered
585 Posts
LED interior lights. The cheapest mod yet and I love it. Makes the interior look much nicer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
  • JLT oil catch-can
  • strut tower brace (same as stock brembo/vert/19" wheel)
  • PIAA headlight bulbs
  • Hoen fog-light bulbs
  • LED map lights, trunk light, reverse lights, and sidemarkers
  • Lloyd floor-mats with running pony logo
  • 27% window tint
  • 3M headlight protection film
  • GT500 splash guards
  • Covercraft custom fit sun shade (not really a 'mod' but helps a lot if you ever park in the sun for a few hours)
The bulbs and the tinting were the most expensive, but the other items were around <$100 or so.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are really great ideas. Keep 'em coming! There are definitely a few here that I didn't think of.

How hard is it to change out the map lights to LEDs and what bulb size do you need? Same question with the trunk bulb. I'm surprised I didn't think of that one. YellowRubiu, can you send me a link?

2ViperRS, do you have pictures of your car with the hood spears? Are they matte black? I've been considering this along with the magnetic, matte black deck lid panel.

·
Registered
366 Posts
...How hard is it to change out the map lights to LEDs and what bulb size do you need? Same question with the trunk bulb...
I have replaced every bulb on my car except for the LED brake lights, and have been meaning to post a list of exactly what bulbs/LEDs were used (and what the correct stock bulbs are for that matter, i.e. trunk).

Hopefully I'll get around to it this weekend. :smartass:

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Here is a pic I shot of my hood spears:

$18 Shipped + put them on myself after one of my friends taught me the diluted rubbing alcohol trick.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ Yeah, I still don't know if I want to do it or not. I guess if I don't like them, I can always remove 'em. $20 isn't going to break the bank to find out.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Diluted rubbing alcohol trick? Do tell!

I've always used the standard diluted dishwashing soap solution to apply vinyls, and it's worked fine for me. I'd asume the rubbing alcohol makes the solution dry a little faster?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Now that you have the DynoMax on yours, empty your tank of 87 to 0 miles and start running it on 93.

Yes, you will notice the difference. Throttle is a bit more linear and smooth, plus the engine does run better and you'll get an extra 5hp out of it with no tune to cause issues.

And it does add a bit more growl. Make sure you run your exhaust on 87 and then on 93 if you want to hear the difference! =)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now that you have the DynoMax on yours, empty your tank of 87 to 0 miles and start running it on 93.

Yes, you will notice the difference. Throttle is a bit more linear and smooth, plus the engine does run better and you'll get an extra 5hp out of it with no tune to cause issues.

And it does add a bit more growl. Make sure you run your exhaust on 87 and then on 93 if you want to hear the difference! =)
I'm just about on E, but I have been running 91-93 (premium depending on station).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.