Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to port the heads over the next week or so. I don't know if I should change the cam (my dad's the expert on that) or if i should get 1.7 roller rockers. The valve train is all stock and so are the heads. Already have a good intake manifold what's going to give me the most bang for my buck?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
ponies per dollar, a supercharger is ur best bet... but cheapest way for any kind of an actual gain of HP is prolly a K&N filter which MIGHT give u another 2 HP at the wheels:shigrin (but not considering you already have a CAI lol)

but also considering u are improving airflow IN, how is ur airflow OUT?? you have headers, but do u have an X pipe with no cats?? how about a nice set of good flowin mufflers?? and providing ur exhaust is still going up and over the rear end, TRUST ME, you still have back pressure even if u open all that up :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I'm going to port the heads over the next week or so. I don't know if I should change the cam (my dad's the expert on that) or if i should get 1.7 roller rockers. The valve train is all stock and so are the heads. Already have a good intake manifold what's going to give me the most bang for my buck?
I would not put any money into the stock E7 heads (you'll wish you didn't). But if you're doing all the work yourself with a die grinder then go right ahead.
Don't expect much HP gain from porting the stock heads. You could see a 20HP gain at most with the right intake. I would rather just save up for a set of GT40 heads.

And as long as you have the stock heads, whether they're ported or not, don't change the cam. Get the roller rockers though.

What intake do you have?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the edelbrock performer. I know it's a bit of a large intake. I will port the heads myself. But I don't know how to supplement ported heads and the intake. I already have flowmaster mufflers and BBK headers. I already have the whole cold air induction (tweaked it myself a little =) ).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not really looking to go the way of forced induction. I have longterm plans for a 331 with that same intake and AFR 185 heads. But right now I have about 600 dollars that i can spend (as opposed to the 2 grand I'd need for a rotating assembly and AFR 185 heads). Just looking to see where I can get the most power with that amount of money (or less considering I might need some of it for gas! HAHA).

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
id just get a good upper and lower intake or do your susp mods

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I'm not really looking to go the way of forced induction. I have longterm plans for a 331 with that same intake and AFR 185 heads. But right now I have about 600 dollars that i can spend (as opposed to the 2 grand I'd need for a rotating assembly and AFR 185 heads). Just looking to see where I can get the most power with that amount of money (or less considering I might need some of it for gas! HAHA).
The Eddie Performer intake is in the same ballpark as the GT40 intakes. So just gasket match your E7 heads to the intake. But like I said, keep your expectations somewhat low. The E7 heads are not the best heads and can only get you so far. But since you're porting them yourself it's basically a free mod so you'll be good.

For $600 though, you can get a set of GT40 heads for $400. Unported GT40 heads will get you a lot farther than even ported E7 heads. And with less effort. Just a thought...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
id just get a good upper and lower intake or do your susp mods
I already have a good upper and lower intake. But for 600 what is a good next step? Do GT40 heads really flow better than ported E7 heads? One idea I had was to get a B303 AND 1.7 rockers. Has anybody tried this and not had any piston/valve clearance issues?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I have the edelbrock performer. I know it's a bit of a large intake. I will port the heads myself. But I don't know how to supplement ported heads and the intake. I already have flowmaster mufflers and BBK headers. I already have the whole cold air induction (tweaked it myself a little =) ).
The Performer works great with the stock heads and even better when they're ported. I also ported mine by myself and it was definitely worth the effort. A 20hp gain for the cost of a porting kit is a very good return.
If you're keeping the stock heads, keep the stock cam as well. You could add a set of Crane/Cobra 1.7 roller rockers but you won't be able to use them on AFR 185's if you build a 331 stroker. Therefore keep the stock rockers for now.
Put your $600 into suspension upgrades and subframe connectors so that the car will be able to put down the extra power when the time comes to build that stroker.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Performer works great with the stock heads and even better when they're ported. I also ported mine by myself and it was definitely worth the effort. A 20hp gain for the cost of a porting kit is a very good return.
If you're keeping the stock heads, keep the stock cam as well. You could add a set of Crane/Cobra 1.7 roller rockers but you won't be able to use them on AFR 185's if you build a 331 stroker. Therefore keep the stock rockers for now.
Put your $600 into suspension upgrades and subframe connectors so that the car will be able to put down the extra power when the time comes to build that stroker.
I have heard that 1.7 rockers aren't good with those heads before, is the reason because they are studmounted rockers? I believe there is a version with pedistal rockers... Either way, thanks for the info Bullit.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I already have a good upper and lower intake. But for 600 what is a good next step? Do GT40 heads really flow better than ported E7 heads? One idea I had was to get a B303 AND 1.7 rockers. Has anybody tried this and not had any piston/valve clearance issues?
Well, ported E7's might flow close to GT40's but GT40's have much more potential. If you ask me, I would spend that $600 on some suspension mods first. It won't necessarily make you any faster, but you will be glad you did when you start getting more power to the wheels.
$600 could get you SFC's w/ install, upper and lower control arms w/ install and you might have enough left over for some adjustable rear shocks. Then you can port your E7's (since you can do that for free!).
Bullitt has ported E7's with the same Performer intake, his signature says his HP/TQ numbers... It will give you some idea of what to expect.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Bullitt has ported E7's with the same Performer intake, his signature says his HP/TQ numbers... It will give you some idea of what to expect.
Don't forget mine's an automatic so if he has a T5, he can expect ~12% higher HP/TQ numbers than what I have. I've seen a combo almost identical to mine except for a Cobra intake and 65mm TB (mine has Performer intake and 75mm TB) put down 272rwhp/316rwtq on a Dynojet with a T5.

smrtbeenr said:
I have heard that 1.7 rockers aren't good with those heads before, is the reason because they are studmounted rockers? I believe there is a version with pedistal rockers...
There are AFR 185's that are pedestal-mount but I'd recommend stud-mount rockers for the following reasons:

1. You'll be using a higher lift/longer duration cam with AFR 185's and that'll require much stronger valve springs than stock.
2. Stronger valve springs will apply more pressure, and I don't think the 5/16" bolts that come with pedestal-mount rockers would withstand it without breaking especially at high rpm.
3. Stud-mount AFR 185's have threaded holes for 3/8" studs, which are at least 40% stronger than 5/16" bolts.

With stud-mount rockers you'll need pushrod guideplates to maintain valvetrain stability plus chromemoly-hardened pushrods, so that drives up the cost but they're essential on a high performance motor.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Don't forget mine's an automatic so if he has a T5, he can expect ~12% higher HP/TQ numbers than what I have. I've seen a combo almost identical to mine except for a Cobra intake and 65mm TB (mine has Performer intake and 75mm TB) put down 272rwhp/316rwtq on a Dynojet with a T5.
Wow! Is that with some ported E7's?! If so that is impressive.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Yes, mildly ported E7's with Cobra valves.
Ported E7 heads with GT40 valves...
Wouldn't that make them the Thumper E7 heads???

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well let me ask you guys this then: is it worth the money to get some GT40 heads and port those instead. I see used GT40s for as low as 300 in some places. It looks like the combustion chambers are bigger on the GT40 heads too. Is this so?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I heard that certain headers don't fit on the GT40 heads. Does anybody know if my BBK shorties will fit?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Its the GT40Ps that will need header specifics because of the spark plug angle. I believe BBK shorties and MAC longtubes will work. If they're regular 3 bar cast GT40s you're fine anyway.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Ported E7 heads with GT40 valves...
Wouldn't that make them the Thumper E7 heads???
No they weren't Thumpers. The guy just had the valve seats reground for Cobra valves and did a mild home port job.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.