Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I might be going insane or idk. My car keeps dieing after a few days of sitting. Thought it was my aftermarket sound system that kept draining the batter but no. Two time now the car has failed to start without the amp hooked up. Awhile ago I took it to Ford and they said battery and alternator are fine. I switched to the Red Top anyway. Ive never questioned this but now I will. I just put on longtubes and while loading the new tune, in the message display area it says check charging system and something about gas read error, but when im not loading a tune and do a system check my charging system says OK. This is really irritating me now. Went and got a voltmeter and when the car is running it never gets above 12.4 volts.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If the voltmeter never gets above 12.4 than the alternator has failed. The battery has 6 cells rated @ 2.1v per cell, thats 12.6v. If the alternator cannot put out more than 12.6v than the battery cannot charge. Your normal charging voltage should be around 13.4-to-14.4v

·
Registered
389 Posts
Those 'error messages' you are seeing in your message center always happen while reflashing or loading a tune. Don't worry about them unless you see them during normal driving.

S

·
0 Posts
It looks like your question was answered but I'll throw in that you might want to see how your Redtop is performing. I did a search on them a while ago when I was considering purchasing one after my stock battery needed replacing in my 96GT. I pulled up quite a few posts where the Redtops had failed when they were still basically brand new. There so many such posts that I decided to just go with a standard battery instead.

How long have you had the Redtop? It might be worth swapping for another one under the battery warranty just to see if you can duplicate the issue.

Just a thought.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Two things. You need to make sure the radio is off when you shut the car off and i would take it back to Ford and tell them that the alt isn't working. tell them what the volts are.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
alternator may be gone. had to replace mine under warranty

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know for sure the radio is off. That was my first culprit. Im gonna take it in to Ford and see what they say again. Im having a hard time thinking my red top is bad.

·
Registered
357 Posts
12.5 to 13.5 is where it needs to be ,, rev it up a little to see if it jumps up a bit . shouldnt go over 15 volts :bigthumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.