Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for you car people...
1998 V6 3.4L(?)

My check engine light came on a few days ago right after I filled the tank with gas. I was on 'E' and filled it completely up, started the car, and the check engine light immediately came on. My car has about 68,000 miles on it and it might be low on oil (which I will check right after work, I didn't have time this morning). Could this be related to my oil?

There are two things that concerns me other then the oil though.
1) It's an automatic but when I'm driving around 35~40 mph (which I believe is when it shifts) and not accelerating, it jerks once or twice while shifting gears. If I'm accelerating, it seems to be ok... only when I'm drifting.
2) Everytime I get out of my car, there seems to be a distinctively strange smell. I can't tell you what it smells like but it's almost like a strange air conditioning smell... like some kinda fumes maybe?

If anyone can provide any insight before I take this thing to the dealer and pay a boatload of cash to get it checked out, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Malikive said:
1998 V6 3.4L(?)

My check engine light came on a few days ago right after I filled the tank with gas. I was on 'E' and filled it completely up, started the car, and the check engine light immediately came on. My car has about 68,000 miles on it and it might be low on oil (which I will check right after work, I didn't have time this morning). Could this be related to my oil?

1) It's an automatic but when I'm driving around 35~40 mph (which I believe is when it shifts) and not accelerating, it jerks once or twice while shifting gears. If I'm accelerating, it seems to be ok... only when I'm drifting.
2) Everytime I get out of my car, there seems to be a distinctively strange smell. I can't tell you what it smells like but it's almost like a strange air conditioning smell... like some kinda fumes maybe?

If anyone can provide any insight before I take this thing to the dealer and pay a boatload of cash to get it checked out, I would greatly appreciate it.
Could be a head gasket replacement is in order, check your oil. Does it smell sweet? Could also be a leak . ..

Your CEL light can come on, if your gas cap isn't sealed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Definitely not the gas cap, that was the first thing I tried since I just filled up with gas. Again, I do have to check my oil when I get home but I'm at work right now so I can't.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Malikive said:
Thanks for the response. Definitely not the gas cap, that was the first thing I tried since I just filled up with gas. Again, I do have to check my oil when I get home but I'm at work right now so I can't.

Does it smell like rotten eggs?

Trying to figure out what it could be.

Usually the CEL comes on for an oxygen sensor, or a dirty MAF, or something like that. It could just be a coincidence.

It could also just be bad gas . . ..

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
could be becuase gas prices went up and your car is rebeling against you spending too much on gas. Cars are smart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Malikive said:
1998 V6 3.4L(?)

This will sound funny but, does it smell like pancakes(and syrup) a sweet smell? If it does it is most likely the head gaskets are blown. I'm in process of replacing mine for the SECOND time. Also look for white smoke blowing out of the exhaust, this is a big sign!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.