Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light came on today. Only mod is a custom muffler delete. Just took the car for 700 mile trip to ocean city for the car cruise there. No problems with the trip no lights or anything just came on today? Any ideas. I'm due for an oil change in 3000 miles...I may take it in early

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd start at the dealer personally, you paid for that warranty

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd start with the gas cap. Had that issue with my 2003 GT convertible and when I took it in, gas cap was either bad or not put back on correctly. Had the same issue with another vehicle and it was the gas cap not put on correctly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'd start with the gas cap. Had that issue with my 2003 GT convertible and when I took it in, gas cap was either bad or not put back on correctly. Had the same issue with another vehicle and it was the gas cap not put on correctly.
i didn't think the new stangs came with a gas cap or am i mistaken?

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
There are a LOT of things that can cause a CEL. You can take it to your local auto parts store such as Advance, AutoZone, etc. and have them scan for codes to get an idea of what the problem is. But I'd simply take it to the dealer.

FWIW, my '05 Mustang went in for a CEL when it was only 5 months old, and it was caused by a bad oxygen sensor. It's very possible that it doesn't have anything to do with your fuel tank.

·
Registered
210 Posts
DOH! Sorry everyone! Don't have my 2012 yet so I totally forgot about the new setup without a gas cap!!!

:yelwacko:

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd like to hear the outcome.....I guess my advise would be take it to the Dealer.....If you just can't do that you could unhook the battery for about 5 minutes. This should clear the light, but it usually clears the code also, so the Dealer would not be able to help in this situation. If the light comes back, suely take it to the Dealer....Notice the common Dealer theme here....It might be as simple as a mucked up fuel door, as this is somewhat common for throwing that code.....Of course if you need a part you'll be going to the Dealer anyway,.............best regards Plum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.