Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CEL is burned out and I was wondering how I could change it or should I just have it done by the local shop?

·
Registered
72 Posts
very simple if you have some small sockets or a 1/4 ratchet. pull the bezel off the cluster, then pull the gauge cluster. if you know where the light is located when your looking at it, pull the bulb from the backside and take it to your local parts house and have them match it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yep....What he said! Has the light been on THAT long to burn out? :shigrin

·
Registered
308 Posts
Maybe it fixed its self

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
haha that's what I was thinking. My old camaro had the SES Light on for 3years and I drove it everyday and then it never died until the day I got rid of it. Only if house bulbs lasted that long...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

very simple if you have some small sockets or a 1/4 ratchet. pull the bezel off the cluster, then pull the gauge cluster. if you know where the light is located when your looking at it, pull the bulb from the backside and take it to your local parts house and have them match it.
Ok thanks! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup

The reason why it was on was because the Fuel Filler Neck seal went bad and I was getting a minor evap leak code. The light was on for a good year. When I start my car, I see all the lights except the SES light so i'm assuming it is the bulb that is burned out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
after 10 heated run cycles, if the code isn't present it goes away..
i don't think the light is burnt out. scan the computer to double check that the light SHOULD BE on before you waste an hour or two of your time

edit: if you see it light up it's not burnt out.. problems gone or probably got jarred on a pothole and sealed itself temperarly

·
Registered
37 Posts
For what it's worth, if the Check Engine light truly is burned out, the bulb should be a type 37.

That's what it is in my 1996 GT.

There are 5 bulbs that illuminate the gauges -- these are type 194 bulbs.

Then there are 13 bulbs that function as the various warning lights, the hi-beam indicator light, and the turn signal lights -- these are all type 37 bulbs.

I know this, because I just had to service my car's odometer gears, and I poked around in there while I had my gauge cluster off! :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well, When you turn the ignition on to start the car, the light SHOULD come on then go out once started. If the light doesn't do that, It IS burned out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts