Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Mustang V6 with 1600 miles on it. Tonight I filled the gas tank and after about 15 miles the fuel tank gauge went to empty. The low fuel indicator light then came on. Then the check engine light came on. Within a minute the fuel tank indicator went back to full and the fuel light went out. The check engine light stayed on. The car seems to be running fine. Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong??? Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
This has been a common issue. According to my dealership, the regular unleaded gas in El paso is dirty and can cause the fuel sensor to "stick". The check engine light came on after the car thought it was out of fuel and it was still running. They recommended going to Chevron and purchasing a gas treatment of techraline. In addition, they recommended using Chevron's super premium gas for the next fill-up as it has cleaning agents as well. So I did as they recommended and filled up on super premium at Chevron and did a techraline treatment. I kept a log and after the first start up the fuel sensor began working and did not shut on and off. After the third startup (2nd day of use of the car) the check engine light turned off. Now I just put super premium gas anyway and am pretty happy with the car's performance. At 5,000 miles, it might just be me, but I feel like the engine is getting stronger. My wallet doesn't like the premium gas though. $43.00 to fill up from low fuel light. Hope this helps! :winks

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Shell and most 'real' fuel stations have 93 or even 94 with cleaning agents...

Funny a dealer say to run on higher octane as the engine is not set up for that, stock that is, many of us have 93 octane tunes for better performance...

Have you checked to see your fuel lid is on properly?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My V6 just did this two days ago while we were about 600 miles from home. I was going to take it to the dealer today, but I'll try your suggestion first. Thanks, Hope it works!

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is also a problem in New Mexico. When I took mine in for it the dealer blamed it on the factory which blames it on the gas companies. The put Chevron Techron fuel cleaner in it and sent me on my way. It took a couple of tanks of Chevron before the problem quit comming back. After a while the engine light also went out. The problem hasn't returned but I don't like looking for a Chevron all the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We were in Colorado when it happened. I've never had a problem with Arizona gas.

Sure glad I saw this post, I was really worried on the way home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On Tuesday I bought some Chevron Techron fuel cleaner at Walmart. On Wednesday I only had the problem a couple of times and it hasn't returned since. When the problem started I had just filled up at a Sheetz gas station - it was the first time I used something other than Sunoco. Had to finally fill up yesterday and I went back to Sunoco.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to hear it. Try to put premium unlead on your next fillup. The check engine light should go out. Mine went out after the third startup the day after I filled up. I haven't had the problem since. You know, as expensive as gas is, you would think you are getting a decent product.

G

·
boy, i mentioned this as a fix on another board and you cant believe all the negatives i got from the members. glad to see this board is a more open minded. just a bottle of techron every few tanks will do it, maybe even less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As of yesterday the Check Engine Light had not gone out - so I just disconnected the negative cable on the battery for a couple of minutes. This took care of the light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check Engine Light TSB 06-10-13

Used Chevron gas for life of car (March 2005) but in April fuel gauge started to be erratic and drop to zero usually after filling. Shut motor off a couple times to reset. Worked several times but became worst May 2007 and check engine lit.

Ford of Pompano (Great Ford Service Dealer) in one day performed service bulletin and replaced FP's 7R3Z-9A299-C Sender 22640 and 7R3Z-9275-C sender 226421. (May 15 th 2007)

Also they said my door handles were broken (Lime Legend) and replaced both of these. I thought handles just fit that way.:shigrin

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think Chevron was the first company to meet "top tier" gasoline specs.

FWIW, there are other brands with extra detergent.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Note the absence of discount gas brands and no-names. I've used Shell and Chevron for years, before I got my '05 GT. I almost just about eliminated engine problems in my '88 5.0 after switching away from discount gas. YMMV

In the interest of disclosure, I don't work for a gas company or anything related.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Used only Chevron Still had problem

Shop replaced both senders 226420 and 226421 May 15 th 2007

Had 3/4 tank gas, came back with 1/4. Hope senders are working or they had to remove gas.

TSB 06-10-13 and Test Code PO 463. Ford of Pompano had senders and car was out in 1/2 a day.

Ford also said my legend lime door handles were broken and replaced them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
yeah i never do that... the sender gets full of sulfur causing the sender to stick and fail... then you get the check engine light on..... i never us the chevron techron **** i just replace the pump and sender to prevent further repairs....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts