Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going on? I've got a light on to "Service Engine Soon" so I went to Autozone and got a diagnostic done. It says I have a "large leak in the emissions controls system" I don't remember the code# though. So then I went to Midas and had them check for an exhaust leak on the entire system and they came up empty handed, and didn't know what else to tell me sending me away with nothing. I've had my suspicions that it could possibly be the o2 sensor gone bad, but I've never heard of that at 40,000 miles and wouldn't know how to check it to see if it was other remove and replace it with new. Before I do that I wanted to see if you all had any other ideas I might try. Thanks.
:sterb:

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Was the code a large leak in the evaporative emissions system? If it was, remove your gas cap and put it back on and clear the code. If that doesn't clear it, check and make sure both hoses are pushed into the evaporative emissions cannister. It's near the radiator towards the bottom on the passenger side I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the canister and it was all tight, no loose fittings or hoses. I also went back to Autozone and re-checked the code, it throws a code for a Large Leak in the "Emissions Control System". It has thrown a code for the gas cap before but that shut off by itself after I refilled the gas tank, oddly enough, they both came on within minutes of each other. They said it was possible that it could be related to the EGR system (Exhuast Gas Recirculation) but thats all "greek" to me. I haven't a clue about all this new computer controlled and smog junk. I was raised old-fashioned, on 4 barrell double pumpers. If anyone can shed some light on EGR or ECS please do so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I'm gonna sound a little ignorant here so bear with me... the code was 0455. Large leak in EVAP, the tech told me wrong. secondly, what I thought was the evap cannister was not, the evap cannister is in the rear, driver side, just above and before the tailpipe. Itself still did not have any lose connections that I could locate since the hoses eventually wound up inside the frame rails and are unable to be seen. I'm confident this is the problem I'm having to deal with but is there anyway to check the lines for purging or leakage from the cannister???

·
Registered
554 Posts
Do you have MIL eliminators? Atermarket h-pipe?

My MIL eliminators went bad last week and I had to replace them. This shut off the SES light.

Only reason I ask is because of the thread name.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
the OBD code for the rear O2 sensors is completely different than the one for Large leak in EVAP emissions system. Once you put a code scanner on and see the code you know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a tip from BlueStreak, where is the EGR Valve located at, in orger to check the gaskets and such???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here we go again... I checked the EGR valve gasket, no leak there, but another interesting thing, it had no vacuum going to the sensor... I revved it up and everything... wouldn't that show up as a "clog" in the computer rather than a leak???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.