Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I am an excited owned of a 2013 Ford Mustang V6 for about 2 years now. Recently, I have been having a recurring problem where at half-tank and less, my check engine light comes on, and the error code mentions the fuel level sensor #2. Once I fill the car up past half-tank, the CEL goes away after a couple of engine cycles.

Does the car really have two fuel level sensors? I guess one is for half tank to full, and the other is from half tank to empty?

Anyway, before I just throw money into it, somebody had mentioned that it's common for the ground on the sensors to cause problems and can be remedied without replacing the part. Is there merit to this, or should it just be assumed that the fuel sensor is actually bad?

Also, what type of job is it for a capable DIYer to replace themselves? Do I have to drop the tank, or can I access the sensor from underneath the rear seats?

When it goes down to about a quarter of a tank, the gas gauge stops working. Before quarter of a tank (from half to quarter), it works fine.

Look forward to hearing your guys' opinions. Although she doesn't have any issues, having the CEL on after half a tank hurts my soul.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
One is for the right tank and one is for the left tank. I do not know which side is #2 but the fuel sender is with the fuel pump or lift pump and I do believe they can be accessed from the back seat.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
What's the code you get? I'm pretty sure you're describing a recurring issue I had. It occurred twice to be precise. Once under warranty and once years later. Both times both of the fuel sending units were replaced in the gas tank. It's actually a pretty easy job. If you're comfortable opening up your gas tank's access panels. There are two, once on each side. The driver's side has the fuel pump and one sending unit. The passenger's side is just a sending unit. Remove the back seat and you'll expose the access panels. That funky tool makes it easier to remove the lock rings. Not necessary, I used a screwdriver and hammer. Pop 'em open and replace the parts.

Link for the fuel portion of the manual: Ford Workshop Service & Repair Manuals - fordrepair.info - 2011 Mustang 3-powertrain fuel system
Here's a few pics.
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 3.18.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 3.18.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 3.19.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 3.21.14 PM.png

1 - 3 of 3 Posts