Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

check engine light

859 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  faded_black96 
#1 ·
Hey there, i own a 96 stock 3.8L, i recently had my check engine light turn on but the car runs fine, will the test at an auto shop be able to detect the problem so i can find what i need to fix it? or will it say everything is alright and reset the system to turn off the light just to cover up the actual problem, i dont think the o2 sensor has been changed ever and was thinking its that but i dont want to do anything yet until i run that test. i just hope it tells me what is wrong with it and also is there a way to check and see if i'm getting the right compression in all cylinders, i dont race or drive crazy with it but i feel that since its an older model that the rings might just be going bad(i hope not or i'll have to get another engine :sosad:). is there any way i can help prevent more wear and tear using a different or better oil other then 5w-30? i'm not a mechanic but i do have a concept about motors and love asking questions to learn so any help will help, thank you

#4 ·
took it to advanced and there computer said it was EVAP emissions control system, the guy there said it just might be the spring in the very middle of my gas cap isnt working or stuck, so i looked and sure enough it wasnt springing, idk if thats how its supposed to be but i figured that wouldnt have mattered tho its stated in my manual that i should check to see if my gas cap was not sealed properly...i'm currently flat broke atm so i cant even buy a new gas cap to see

#5 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum. You may have not notice this is the 2.3 section. Might want to repost in this section.
V6 Talk Forum | AllFordMustangs.com
And if Shiner gives advice take it. He and son have a couple of awesome 3.8 and 4.2 turbo cars. Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.