Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Checking the pad depth at tire rotation is easy, and since tires should be rotated about every 5k miles, you'll have plenty of opportunities to check brake pad depth before they get too thin....

Assuming the brakes are working normally and not dragging (does the wheel spin easily before you remove the tire?), with the wheel off, take a flashlight and look at the thickness of the pad between the rotor and caliper. If the pad on either side of the disc wears to less than about 1/16 inch thick, replace 'em both and have the rotors turned (resurfaced on a special lathe that cuts a new braking surface on the rotor - rotors can be resurfaced down to a minimum thickness, then must be replaced).

Normally front brakes wear faster than the rear, at the rate of about 2:1. Stock front brakes usually last for 20-50k+ mi depending the brake pad material on your driving habits... Looks like yours were gone about 10k miles ago, but then again metal on metal wears quickly... :D Rear pads should last for 40-80k+ mi.

As a last warning, on most pads, there is a pin that is formed on the pad backing plate that will contact the rotor and begin making a metallic scraping noise when the brakes are applied to warn the driver that the brake pads are getting thin...

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
yep, mine looked about like that too so i put zink coated rotors on my car. they stay looking real shiny silver. i put them on both our cars. i also put the gt upgrade size on the 05. it almost looked like someone had the wrong size pads on your insides, but hard to say.

2 Front 2 Rear Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors and 8 Pads | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Just depends on how hard you are with the brakes. I check my pads once to twice a year on the Cobra, since I dont drive it much. But it's not hard to see the pads. For rotors, if you do just change the pads and keep the stock rotors, i would atleast get them checked and get them turned. If your talking about the rust on the rotors, that's normal. You can buy aftermarket zinc coated, some still rust though, they will look better than the oem's that are inevitable to rust.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i run the pads till they get half way or so, then i replace them. when i have to replace them a 2nd time, i replace the rotors. they dont put enough meat on them any more and dont even recommend having them turned like in the old days. if your running a metallic or semi metallic pad, they really eat the rotors up fast

1 - 5 of 5 Posts