Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a warning to some of you:

I checked the pressure in the back right tire this weekend cuz it looked a little low. It was down to 15 psi. The other tires were around 26-28 psi. I was surprised that the one back tire was so low. Either cuz I did a couple of quick shots off the line and chirped the tires or maybe cuz the air is getting colder. But I only have 4600 miles on the car and it surprised me that the tire lost that much air in that time. Just thought maybe you guys should know this and keep an eye on yours.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Without trying to sound like a kiljoy checking tire pressure is something that needs to be done frequently. I check mine each time I wash my car. I also check fluid levels and then take the car out for a high speed shake down ride (just to insure that everything is working ok! :winks )...

·
Registered
63 Posts
What is the correct tire pressure? I have back problems so can't read it off the tire. I have the stock 17" tires.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Max is 35 psi as the safe limit(51 psi being the most the tire can take before blowing up), but I keep it around 30psi.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think the label in the door jamb reco's 32psi. I had mine set to 35, and you get a lot more transmittance of High Freq road vibration. It seems kind of high-strung.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
auburnwar01 said:
What is the correct tire pressure? I have back problems so can't read it off the tire. I have the stock 17" tires.
This is a common mistake most people make. The recommended tire pressure is never on the tire. The tire will only state the Maximum pressure safe for the tire. Refer to drivers door placard for proper pressure.
And twoscoops, keep an eye on that tire in particular, Id be willing to bet you picked up a small nail or something.
I havent checked my air pressure since Ive had the car, but Ive changed the oil, and checked alignment, lol. Ive worked at goodyear my whole life, I can generally tell if a tire is 5-10 pounds to low just by looking at them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The only issue I've ever had with checking the recommended pressure on the door is that the listed recommendation is for the STOCK tires. I replaced my stock tires with 255's not long after buying the car. My thought is that the recommended pressure for my Nitto's may not necessarily be the same.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had a tire (on my Mark VIII) that would lose about 2 pounds a day. I took it to a tire shop and they put it in the dunk tank and there was no air leaking (at least that you could see). The tire kept losing air so I took it back a few days later and he took the tire off and broke the bead, reinflated the tire and it has never lost air since.

He said that sometimes certain types of rims will develop that problem and the only way to correct it is to re-mount the tire on the rim.

I hope this made sense.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
martimus said:
The only issue I've ever had with checking the recommended pressure on the door is that the listed recommendation is for the STOCK tires. I replaced my stock tires with 255's not long after buying the car. My thought is that the recommended pressure for my Nitto's may not necessarily be the same.
To keep the same load index as stock 215/65/16 at 35 psi 1565lbs
the 255/50r17 Nittos would require 28psi giving you a load index of 1572.
sounds low, but its a larger tire that can carry more on less psi. I still would run 32-35 myself anyway.

Adrenal said:
I had a tire (on my Mark VIII) that would lose about 2 pounds a day. I took it to a tire shop and they put it in the dunk tank and there was no air leaking (at least that you could see). The tire kept losing air so I took it back a few days later and he took the tire off and broke the bead, reinflated the tire and it has never lost air since.

He said that sometimes certain types of rims will develop that problem and the only way to correct it is to re-mount the tire on the rim.

I hope this made sense.
Yeah, aluminum wheels are famous for this. Best thing to do is not just reseat the bead, but remove tire, buff wheel, and put a bead sealer on it, remount tire. If one starts, you can usually bet others are not far behind. Usually takes about 3 years for this to develope from new. And those kind of leaks may only happen when the weight of the vehicle is on the tire/wheel. Explaining why in a dunk tank no leak was found.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Cool thread, had been doing research about this.

E-mailed Michelin earlier and it took them forever to get back with me... they did and told me "always follow the OM rec tire preasure.' And I tried to tell them I have some very expencive rubber made by them and they are hardly stock size at 275-19-35...

Finally this guy told me 28-38 PSI SHOULD be fine... :sterb:

Tire shop tells me 30-35 for optimum wear... I keep it on the low side, 30 front 32 back for ride comfort. There is a huge diff between 30 and 35 in the ride!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
kj_cinci said:
Cool thread, had been doing research about this.

E-mailed Michelin earlier and it took them forever to get back with me... they did and told me "always follow the OM rec tire preasure.' And I tried to tell them I have some very expencive rubber made by them and they are hardly stock size at 275-19-35...

Finally this guy told me 28-38 PSI SHOULD be fine... :sterb:

Tire shop tells me 30-35 for optimum wear... I keep it on the low side, 30 front 32 back for ride comfort. There is a huge diff between 30 and 35 in the ride!
Well that size isnt in my book :( closest is 285/35r19.
Stock load rating is 1819 lbs at 35psi
the 285/35r19 at 35psi is only 1323 lbs!!!! 275 somewhere near 1300 lbs
I would recommend max pressure of the tire thats on the sidewall! And thats still not going to carry the same load as stock tires.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Interesting... But I will not be driving around with them in 40's! :smoke:

I have been planning on taking the fronts up to max for drag racing... I have ET Streets in the rear for that...

Also for when I go road racing I might take it up close to 40...

My car is mostly empty, just me, gass, and my work bag....

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I finally got around to rotating my tires...and the pressure in the back tire was down to 15 again. Looked over the tire and sure enough...a nice screw embedded in the tire:sosad: . So I gotta take it to a gas station to get plugged tomorrow. At least I know why it was losing pressure now.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
Well I finally got around to rotating my tires...and the pressure in the back tire was down to 15 again. Looked over the tire and sure enough...a nice screw embedded in the tire:sosad: . So I gotta take it to a gas station to get plugged tomorrow. At least I know why it was losing pressure now.
Make sure its repaired from the inside!, with a patch, or a plug/patch.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stoenr said:
Make sure its repaired from the inside!, with a patch, or a plug/patch.
Yeah, they gunna plug it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
anytime you have a difference of psi's that much..usually it's a nail or something that is still in your tire. that's why i always keep an air compressor in my car. if i have a nail in my tire you can always add more air until you get it fixed. letting a car sit with a nail in it will make it lose pressure more but actually driving it while it's hot will keep the air in it more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts