Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just a PSA for those of you who have swapped in after market shifters. Please check that your shifter linkage bolts, the one bolt that links the shifter to the transmission (to change gears) hasn't backed out.

I installed an MGW a few years ago and today that bolt decided to drop out, car was stuck in 4th and I had to have the car towed to a shop.

80 dollars later, for a 4 dollar bolt and 5 hours of my day gone...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There are some valid uses for Red loctite.
The install instructions from MGW, and from what was on the bolt from the factory, looks like blue loctite, but apparently that may not be enough. Luckily when I lost the ability to shift I was in gear and not on the highway.

Also, things to look out for as an indicator the bolt may be backing out, sloppiness/play in the shifter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny story... I had installed a B&M short shifter into my 2009 Cal Special according to instructions. About 8 months later I’m on the freeway doing about 80 when.. the shifter sunk in the boot and the assembly smacked the driveshaft. Fortunately I had my hand on the shifter and quickly pulled it up or that could have been disastrous.... I had to hold up the shifter the whole way home so it didn’t get yanked under by the driveshaft.

Got it home and found that the mounting plate had completely sheared off the skinny little studs that were welded to the sheet metal holding it in place. I ended up just drilling holes thru the tunnel and sending a couple grade 8 bolts thru with lock washers to keep it in place.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Excellent post op! At least I think so. I would think “sloppiness” would include a notchy feeling and loss of precise gear changes. Worth investigating if the shifter Doesn’t seem to be working the way it should.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts