Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at body mods and have seen a lot of "Cobra Style" chin spoilers out there. the websites claim that they are functional by eleminating turbulence under your car. I was wondring if they actually do performe a function, or do they just look good? I will probably get one either way, I was just wondering.:headscratch:

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
I was looking at body mods and have seen a lot of "Cobra Style" chin spoilers out there. the websites claim that they are functional by eleminating turbulence under your car. I was wondring if they actually do performe a function, or do they just look good? I will probably get one either way, I was just wondering.:headscratch:
Depends on the design. the Cobra's and Steeda's work, the Mach1/Bullitt, not so much. -But with the ones that work, you have to mind curbs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
eh, they're not functional - just look good... for OUR use.

In theory, it does provide extra front downforce and re-direct air that would normally go under your car - but unless you're dropping your car to a few inches off the road, you're not going to feel any real difference. Even then, spoilers are only really beneficial on race cars IMHO.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
eh, they're not functional - just look good... for OUR use.

In theory, it does provide extra front downforce and re-direct air that would normally go under your car - but unless you're dropping your car to a few inches off the road, you're not going to feel any real difference. Even then, spoilers are only really beneficial on race cars IMHO.
Eh, out west where speed limits are 75-80, you might pick up some benefit in MPGs, since aero doesn't become important really until 60 and then builds exponentially.

but for the most part, in terms of daily driving, you can drive around in an Xb box, without any benefits or harm.

But try driving the Xb in Western Nebraska, and you'll see a difference.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in FL were posted speed limits on the hwy are around 55 - 70. People actually drive 75-80. Cops won't really pull you over on the highway unless your going faster than that, or you are wipping in and out of trafic. I'm not planning to drive any faster than that, I might get up to 85 or 90 long enouph to pass a left lane bandit, but will slwow back down to 80 after that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.