Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there with a chin spoiler who left it unpainted/black? Just wondering what the color contrast would look like.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was thinking about it awile back. It would be like a mach 1 if you left it unpainted. A little bit more retro. Just personal Preference.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I know you can get it painted black direct from CDC or just plain black ABS plastic (no paint). Not sure how it would look against white. I've seen it on blue and it looks good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
garenteed to peel if you paint it unless its done right with flexible primer....

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point... It would be nice if CDC sold them already color-matched. Or I may still just go with the black. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I had mine painted black and like the contrast. In fact I've done my car up like a mach 1 with very positive feedback. I've got some pictures posted in my gallery if you're interested. Don't be affraid to let a body shop do it right. It's not as expensive as you might think. The flexible additive is indeed very important. As is proper cleaning and prep for the 3M adhesive tape used at the front of the spoiler. The sides are held in place with screws.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
myltlpny said:
I had mine painted black and like the contrast. In fact I've done my car up like a mach 1 with very positive feedback. I've got some pictures posted in my gallery if you're interested. Don't be affraid to let a body shop do it right. It's not as expensive as you might think. The flexible additive is indeed very important. As is proper cleaning and prep for the 3M adhesive tape used at the front of the spoiler. The sides are held in place with screws.
I like it... Did you have both the rear and chin spoiler painted at the same time? What would I expect to pay to have both painted? Thanks.

·
Registered
886 Posts
myltlpny-

Have you had any trouble with the chin spoier scraping on driveways and such?? I like them a lot, but I worry about it dragging...

·
Registered
867 Posts
I painted mine black. I was going to do it body color but decided it's easier to touch up when I drag it. Since my car is lowered it drags quite a bit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2horseowner said:
I painted mine black. I was going to do it body color but decided it's easier to touch up when I drag it. Since my car is lowered it drags quite a bit.
The black is a nice contrast. You guys think it would look ok on white?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I had all my mods done at once. Firstly, I used the CDC classic chin spoiler which only hangs about 3/16" lower than the existing vallence (basically the thickness of the part). I do have to be a little careful as it projects out further than the existing part, but so far it has cleared every obstacle without damage, including concrete wheel stops. The exit from the body shop was probably the worst (very steep), so I went slowly on an angle with no problems. So, I wouldn't worry about dragging.

I figured, if I was going to do this I was going to do it right. I had the CDC spoiler painted & cleared then installed. The rocker panels were removed painted, cleared & re-installed. I'm not sure if they actually removed the hood, I don't think they did, but after the black was applied, the entire hood had 2 coats of clear installed. You cannot feel the difference between the blue and the black. After the hood was clearcoated, the Xenon scoop was painted black, clearcoated and installed. I wanted it added separately just in case it came loose. If it did, I wouldn't have this ugly spot on the hood unitl I could re-install the scoop. The rear spoiler was removed, painted black, clear coated and reinstalled. Finally, the rear panel was removed, the bottom lip painted black, and the entire panel clear coated and re-installed. I did the rear louvers myself.
Total cost of paint and installation of the parts I supplied was $1,000.00. The CDC spoiler and louvers, $650.00, and the hood scoop off ebay for $90.00. I have since added some custom 4.6L decals to the sides of the hood scoop as well, similar to the 289 or 451 emblems on the '69 Mach 1.

The pricing was broken down as if I had gone in as in insurance claim. They had the approximate hours to do the work followed by the materials cost. If I had to break it down, I would say the front and rear spoiler were minimal cost, maybe 200.00 max of the total. This also included the flexible additives to the paint for the scoop and spoiler. The hood, given the difficulty in laying out the panel and the perimeter striping took most of the cost. If you want to contact me off-line I can give more specifics.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
stlwagon said:
The black is a nice contrast. You guys think it would look ok on white?
Nobody's answered your question yet, so I will. Yes, I think the black will go well. It'll tie your black trim in nicely, and is more in keeping with the retro look of the car.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
myltlpny said:
Nobody's answered your question yet, so I will. Yes, I think the black will go well. It'll tie your black trim in nicely, and is more in keeping with the retro look of the car.
Thanks for the input... Though I suppose it really only matters if I'll be happy with it. So I think I may go with black. May go ahead and do the rear spoiler in black at the same time to tie it all together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts