Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow, coming home one night, I ended up with a nick in my back driver's side rim... I have the bullitt rims and the silver metal is showing through one of the spokes... It's not real big and not really noticeable until your next to the rim, but I know it's there and it annoys me! Is there any way to fix a chipped rim? A paint that would match? I have a spare rim with tire, but it has way less miles on that tire than my current tires on the car, so I really don't want to do that... The only thing I have come up with is to switch tires on the rims (put the new tire from the spare rim on the old rim and the old tire onto my spare rim which would become the rim on the car)... I am hoping that wont be a pain in the rear...

Anyone have any suggestions on what would be the easiest solution?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Touch-up Paint

Check Your Dealer They Have To Have A Matching Touch-up Paint

·
Registered
478 Posts
You might be in luck as I believe, the color on Bullitt rims is mineral gray, which is the color of your car.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
There is a process to fix the wheel without removing it off the car. In the chicago burbs (Barrington) there is a company called Northern Illinois Alloy Wheel Repair, I know the owners and they told me that they got into the business of repairing wheels because a company that has a "national program" handpicks companies that it approaches to start this type of service. I would call a couple of reputable dealers and bodyshops to find out where these guys are and you may want to search the phone book. They charge between $75-$125 usually.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If all else fails, there are occasionally individual wheels on evil bay:rolleyes: , pretty cheap and in new condition.:winks

N

·
0 Posts
nine times out of ten touch up ends up looking worse than the original damage...at least thats been the case on all my prior cars...i would just buy an additional rim from ford..or if you can...ebay...otherwise your chipped rim will just be your touched up chipped rim...

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
nghtrnnr said:
nine times out of ten touch up ends up looking worse than the original damage...at least thats been the case on all my prior cars...i would just buy an additional rim from ford..or if you can...ebay...otherwise your chipped rim will just be your touched up chipped rim...
The company I have used several times due to my position at my previous employer did such a nice job that a non-perfect looking wheel was very rare.
I guess it depends primarily on the tech performing the service...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I had a spare rim and tire, so I just went to my Ford Dealership and had them switch the rim/tires around (so the old/matching tire is now on the new rim)... Much better! Now, my spare tire is the chipped rim and I may try seeing if I can touch it up myself... Just to see. I would like to make it look decent in case I ever need to use it again...

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I think the color is more closer to tungsten but still not a match.

refinished wheels that come through my shop look pretty damn good for the most part.

The guy I work with use to do wheel repiar out of a mobile trailer and is thinking of starting it up again from his garage. Too bad your not out this way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.