Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few weeks ago, I noticed this slight chirping noise coming from the front end up my car. I replaced the belt tensioner and a few pulleys thinking that was the noise, but it turns out the noise was coming from the clutch area. I’m not sure what it is, I took it in to my shop and they told me it was the throw out bearing. The noise is made with the clutch pushed in AND out, so idk if it’s the TOB. It happens when revving the car, as well as when driving normally. It happens the most when driving and you clutch in, sometimes it happens when accelerating in gear. The noise has gotten progressively worse over the past few weeks to the point where it’s noticeable outside the car we you can hear in the videos. I do plan on replacing the entire clutch/flywheel/bearing assembly soon, I just want to know what this noise is specifically so I know what to look out for.

You can hear the noise in the video inside the car when I'm accelerating in first. In the outside video, you can kind of hear it as I approach the shot and when decelerating after I leave the shot. it isn't too loud in the videos but it's definitely there.

Video inside car
Video outside car

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hadn’t had a chance to listen to the videos but when my clutch cable was loose the TOB would chirp while idling in neutral.
I don’t really get the noise at idle, and my clutch feel hasn’t changed. Hopefully when I just swap everything it goes away

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
were you able to watch the videos? I really don't think it's anything with the clutch. The noise is made with the clutch in or out, and it's there when driving, in gear, in neutral, etc.
I watched the videos and I had a hard time hearing anything.
My clutch cable stretched and when that happened there wasn’t enough tension on the fork and subsequently the TOB was rattling around. It would rattle and chirp in neutral, in gear, or when driving. It was constant.
Stick your head in on the passengers side towards the rear of the engine and listen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I watched the videos and I had a hard time hearing anything.
My clutch cable stretched and when that happened there wasn’t enough tension on the fork and subsequently the TOB was rattling around. It would rattle and chirp in neutral, in gear, or when driving. It was constant.
Stick your head in on the passengers side towards the rear of the engine and listen.
Here’s a better video of the noise. The first 2 revs are from the passenger side footwell. The 3rd rev is right near the shifter, and the 4th rev is down in the driver’s footwell near the pedals.Better video

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Yeah, kinda sounds like a chirping TOB to me, could be wrong though.
If you pull up on the clutch pedal with some force towards you it’ll tighten the cable a little (maybe).
How I kinda diagnosed my cable being loose was by pulling the cable tight at the pedal and then used zip ties to keep it tight. The noise went away, so ended up replacing the cable and quadrant. If you pull up on the clutch pedal it’ll move the stock adjustable quadrant up a couple teeth and it’ll take a little slack out of the cable. My cable was too stretched and adjusting the quadrant didn’t work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, kinda sounds like a chirping TOB to me, could be wrong though.
If you pull up on the clutch pedal with some force towards you it’ll tighten the cable a little (maybe).
How I kinda diagnosed my cable being loose was by pulling the cable tight at the pedal and then used zip ties to keep it tight. The noise went away, so ended up replacing the cable and quadrant. If you pull up on the clutch pedal it’ll move the stock adjustable quadrant up a couple teeth and it’ll take a little slack out of the cable. My cable was too stretched and adjusting the quadrant didn’t work.
I’ll give this a shot. The noise doesn’t change at all when the clutch is pushed in. In fact, if I’m in gear decelerating/engine braking, the noise happens. If I clutch in the noise goes away or quiets down

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I’ll give this a shot. The noise doesn’t change at all when the clutch is pushed in. In fact, if I’m in gear decelerating/engine braking, the noise happens. If I clutch in the noise goes away or quiets down
Possibly bedsuse there’s pressure on it when the clutch is in. It’s not just rattling loose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Possibly bedsuse there’s pressure on it when the clutch is in. It’s not just rattling loose.
Didn't work. I think that there's something loose in there. I'm gonna go ahead and replace everything down there and hope for the best

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Didn't work. I think that there's something loose in there. I'm gonna go ahead and replace everything down there and hope for the best
The cable and quadrant? Did you pull the slack out of the cable by hand to see if the noise went away?
My clutch and TOB had about 1k miles on them when mine started making noise. So they were new. Look at this pic. See where it says cable end? Pull on that cable while the motor is running to see if the noise goes away. The quadrant is under the dash above the gas pedal. It might take a little force and you might need needle nose pliers. If the noise goes away you need a new cable and or quadrant.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The cable and quadrant? Did you pull the slack out of the cable by hand to see if the noise went away?
My clutch and TOB had about 1k miles on them when mine started making noise. So they were new. Look at this pic. See where it says cable end? Pull on that cable while the motor is running to see if the noise goes away. The quadrant is under the dash above the gas pedal. It might take a little force and you might need needle nose pliers. If the noise goes away you need a new cable and or quadrant.
How could a loose cable make this noise?

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
How could a loose cable make this noise?
When the cable is loose there isn’t enough preload (pressure) and the fork and or TOB are rattling. If the cable is stretched then it’s loose.
It could be a few other things I guess but I’d check that first.
When my cable stretched I had the same chirping. When the slack was taken out the chirping stopped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts