Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I'm romping on my GT, I'll chirp the tires all the way through 3rd. If I happen to race someone some day, would it be better to try and not chirp them?

PS The chirp last for a like 0.05 of a second(I don't spin the tires).

·
Registered
5 Posts
You would waste more time trying not to chirp them than you would just shifting. Don't conciously try to chirp the tires, just shift quickly.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
What he said, if you shift fast enough, you should not get much of a chirp, which is caused when the power hits the road, if you did not have any lag between shifts, you would not get the chirp.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't let it lag when I shift, but I think my problem is I let out of the clutch too quickly after I shift.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
I don't let it lag when I shift, but I think my problem is I let out of the clutch too quickly after I shift.
It's kinda hard to explain, you are correct, if you are at the proper speed between shifts, you would not get the chirp.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Anudder two cents.....With the "chirp" so minimal as you describe, you're not loosing anything worth worrying about. Moreover, it's actually a GOOD indicator that you're getting power to the ground quickly. Some "bark" is to be expected. She's talkin' to ya, Daddy!

Now, if you were SPINNING the tires that's another story altogether, and reflects wasted energy.

Absolute silence can indicate you're a ways off from putting all the potential energy onto the pavement as well.

Best-case scenario would be that you're getting all your power to the ground and straining the tires' gripping ability at their limit but not going beyond that......so chirping is "just right" in my opinion. It's a good gauge to go by really.

You'll see when you get yours and start romping on it, PCFrisch. :D

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pcfrisch said:
It's kinda hard to explain, you are correct, if you are at the proper speed between shifts, you would not get the chirp.
Yeah....but I'm thinking about 'not proper' speeds like going from 2nd to 3rd gear at around 55/60 mph.

·
Registered
260 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
Yeah....but I'm thinking about 'not proper' speeds like going from 2nd to 3rd gear at around 55/60 mph.
Improper huh? Rest assured that in such cases, even Miss Manners approves of a slight chirp.

Read it in her article last week as a matter o'fact. Very natural - even healthy - thing to do.

Plus, chicks dig it. Even her.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
If you shift at the wrong times, (keeping the rpms up) you would loose torque and bog down, if you shift to late, you are going to loose some speed, and that will slow you down a bit, that will also cause chirping.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stoopy said:
Improper huh? Rest assured that in such cases, even Miss Manners approves of a slight chirp.

Read it in her article last week as a matter o'fact. Very natural - even healthy - thing to do.

Where is this article you speak of?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Stoopy said:

Do you think Marhta Stewart would approve?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pcfrisch said:
If you shift at the wrong times, (keeping the rpms up) you would loose torque and bog down, if you shift to late, you are going to loose some speed, and that will slow you down a bit, that will also cause chirping.
Any suggestions on how to stop the chirping when I'm running at those speeds?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
Buy an Auto :laughlitt
Seriously, it would just take practice.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
A chirp is a sign of a good positive shift. It indicates you've left redline and switched gears to the meat of the torque curve. Why would you want to get rid of it?

If you're not "on it," meaning you're not shifting quickly at redline, you should not chirp.

If you shift too slowly you'll burn your clutch.

So you either stop shifting at redline, or you shift below power peak.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
pcfrisch said:
Buy an Auto :laughlitt
Seriously, it would just take practice.
My auto chirps the tires on the 1-2 shift at WOT.

It indicates the transmission is doing its job. I'd be concerned if it didn't. It would mean the bands are wearing out.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
kscoyote said:
My auto chirps the tires on the 1-2 shift at WOT.

It indicates the transmission is doing its job. I'd be concerned if it didn't. It would mean the bands are wearing out.
Correct me if I am wrong buttttt, doesn't a tire chirp indicate there is a slight hesitation due to shifting at a point just above optimum torque?

·
Registered
260 Posts
pcfrisch said:
Correct me if I am wrong buttttt, doesn't a tire chirp indicate there is a slight hesitation due to shifting at a point just above optimum torque?
Again, opinions vary but this is how I've always looked at it - What it indicates is that you're re-applying close-to-perfect max torque to the rubber, that's all. During a shift, you're coming off the high end of the power band (where torque is lowest, but HP is higher and generally starting to top out as well ) and down into the realm where torque is nice and fat so you can climb back up that power curve again. It's good - torque is what really moves and accellerates the car anyway. Now, maybe you could be slightly more efficient by not applying quite so much torque to not chirp the tires, but the odds of doing that so precisely, without actually applying less-than-optimum power, are pretty tough, milliseconds of shift time and fractions of an inch difference on the pedal! You'd very likely end up with slower times and less efficient accelleration due to being cautious about avoiding that few milliseconds of bark, as was mentioned above. Err on the side of the chirp and you'll know for sure you're getting down the road in just the perfect amount of hustle.

There's a "slight hesitation" no matter how you cut it anyway, as you know, since the drivetrain HAS to be temporarily disengaged from a power-output condition to allow the gear change to begin with, even if for an extremely minimal amount of time. How fast that recovery occurs and how quickly the energy is restored to the ground, and in what amount, is the important point. Tire chirp indicates you got right back into that fat healthy part of the torque curve again, right away! Kind of a poor man's torque-application gauge. Good stuff maynard!

Speaking of fat.....nahh I don't know WHAT Martha Stewart thinks of it. Maybe she'd like it if the tires chirped while accellerating away from her house arrest. But Miss Manners on the other hand....slim petite prim & proper brunette..... can't help but sense a little wicked side to her.. Mmmmmm...... don't really know if I really read that or not, but mighta dreamt it instead, she was lightin' the tires up in a Redfire GT roasting the balonies on this quiet country road, she pulled over to pick me up and I get in, then this circus clown comes riding down the side of the road on an oversized tricycle, rolling a big donut....was kinda a weird dream.......probably off-topic though......

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
pcfrisch said:
What do you think spins the tire?

It's Torque. If it were ABOVE, you wouldn't be able to spin the tire.

The ONLY way to stop the chirp is to OVERTIRE the wheel. -Make sure there is so much traction that the tire can't chirp, but then you have to worry about bog.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
kscoyote said:
What do you think spins the tire?

It's Torque. If it were ABOVE, you wouldn't be able to spin the tire.

The ONLY way to stop the chirp is to OVERTIRE the wheel. -Make sure there is so much traction that the tire can't chirp, but then you have to worry about bog.
I understand that, I guess I am coming from a lounder,longer chip as opposed to a small one.
Chirp envy if you will.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts