Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was wondering if anyone knows what might be the problem. my 68 starts fine and runs fine but won't turn off hehe. i switched silenoid with my 70 (turns it off fine) and a couple months ago had replaced the ignition switch cuz it wouldn't stay started, and it worked fine after. i'm thinkin maybe the switch is gone again? i can't think of anything else that might be causing this arggghhhh. i was getting the tires balanced yesterday when it died then when i restarted it, it wouldn't stop. thanks for any help i was just checkin before i made the 45-hour drive into the states and did the border thing lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
my mustang did something kinda like this, but i found out it was the ground to the starter motor, it had fried to my header.. i thought it was the switch then found out it was that wire.. maybe this will help

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll check it out tomorrow morning, man i hope its that hehe, my luck it won't be something that easy lol. thanks alot

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
argh some of the crazy wiring i think is screwing it up one wire comin from the alternator is starting to lose its insulation its all loose adn sticking to other wires :doh: . no fire tho whew! i'm gonna hafta put in a larger wire i guess til i can get a new main harness for the engine and lights. it was nice to have a car i could drive hehe thanks. i'll go over the grounds when i can get it into the garage. thanks for all the help

·
Registered
219 Posts
Most people say that brakes and suspension are the most important things on a driver. Yes they are, safety is extremely important. However, an often overlooked aspect of safety is wiring. I've seen a few Mustangs that b/c of wiring issues were burnt to the ground (and that is not a pretty sight.)

When I get a new project I always replace every wire. This is expensive and time consuming but it adds alot to safety and everything will work correctly for a long time. I used a Painless Kit for 67-68 on my 68' Coupe as well as lots of 2gauge ground cable. I took all the stock engine bay grounds off and tossed em in favor of the larger 2gauge.

If you plan on keeping your car its a great idea to add new wiring.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know eh. i hafta get something for it thought i could squeek by for the summer but i guess not grr. i think i might grab the engine outta it put a 302 in it and maybe sell it cuz i have to get a better daily driver, my 240 i think is done for, damn rusty frames :madas: ah well when it rains it pours lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol i can almost get my fist into the side and 3 fingers into the bottom and when i tried c clamping the metal in place it kept going thru the "good side" argghhh. i guess most 240's up here have this prob but i just traded it on a very nice yellow 99 gt vert 5 spd fully loaded for 16000 taxes included. they gave me 1100 for the nissan :laughlitt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.