Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm looking for a set of chrome tail light bezels, and I come across this listing on eBay for a set for only $19.99! I'm intrigued (because at heart, I'm a cheap bastid!), so I click. I discover that these are made of "Chrome Plated ABS Plastic". Now, I know that there is chrome appearance plastic out there, but never did I know that there could be "chrome plated".

So my question is this: could this "Chrome Plated ABS Plastic" actually be chrome plated plastic? :headscratch: And if so, wouldn't it be at an advantage to actual metal? Would this hold true to any trim material?

What say you experts?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Chrome plated abs is exactly that.We make many parts and have for years that are chrome plated.Most recent uses are headlight buckets, interior trim,wheel center caps, etc.It is currently used in production an most vehicles out now.However, there are different proceses out there that are not suitable for exterior use, be careful.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look at your AC vents. Those are "metalized" (chromed) plastic.
Understandable. My question is if this type of material is appropriate for an external application.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I did not see the ad , but if they are selling them as exterior component, i would assume so.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Understandable. My question is if this type of material is appropriate for an external application."

Yes they have using that type of material for quite a while. Hubcaps, appearance chrome appliques, etc. After a while exposed to the sun (several years or more) may begin to exhibit tarnishing and/or delaminating. However, pot-metal badges and ornaments suffer from this as well. My $.02

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is the general consensus that the "chromed ABS" is acceptable? Or should I just stick with stainless/billet?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Whats the cost offset between the items? I'd go with the metal if its not a heck of a lot more, IMHO. Plastic may warp if you have a lot of sun and heat like here in FL. While on the subject, has anyone bought the louvers for the back window yet? I'm inclined to go for the aluminum ones over the ABS, if the AL units don't rattle like some I have seen in the past.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have chrome plated plastic tail light bezels on my car for about 6 or 7 months now. They look good and appear to be well made, however they were $49, not $20. Maybe I got gypped.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whats the cost offset between the items? I'd go with the metal if its not a heck of a lot more, IMHO. Plastic may warp if you have a lot of sun and heat like here in FL. While on the subject, has anyone bought the louvers for the back window yet? I'm inclined to go for the aluminum ones over the ABS, if the AL units don't rattle like some I have seen in the past.

The I have seen the metal ones priced from $49.99 up to $79.99.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have chrome plated plastic tail light bezels on my car for about 6 or 7 months now. They look good and appear to be well made, however they were $49, not $20. Maybe I got gypped.

I have only seen the metal ones for that much money, that's why I was inquiring about the plastic ones at $20. You like yours? Do they look as clean as the metal ones do?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Is this type of material appropriate for an external application?
Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (or ABS) is a sturdy grade of injection molding plastic resin. Molded ABS parts receive chrome plating well and are suitable for outdoor exposure. However, it will fracture if struck, rather than dent or bend. So if you add those taillight bezels, try not to get in any accidents while in your car.

M

·
0 Posts
I have only seen the metal ones for that much money, that's why I was inquiring about the plastic ones at $20. You like yours? Do they look as clean as the metal ones do?
I can vouch that they look fantastic, I've seen them... check his gallery, he might have some pics there...

I am thinking tho, different manufacturers, different end results? But at $19 you have nothing to lose....

....try not to get in any accidents while in your car.
LMAO ~ you are messed up!! :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.