Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although Too little too late (projected date 2010) & I am a huge fan of the 71 hemi cuda of which this concept Challenger seems to owe all it's styling cues to. BTW Chrysler actually sold off the rights to the name Hemi-Cuda .

This (other muscle cars) is relevant to the stang as it is the first real attempt at retro 60's styled pony/muscle car war. On the Flip side I here GM axed plans for a rear drive camaro replacement that was to be retro 69 style. Restyled 2008 GTO will be the only serious competitor . Which is to say the Stang will own the pony car wars for the next 1/2 decade at minimum.

It's a shame , I was hoping for more retro models for competition which leads to the ultimate Horsepower wars & often deep discounts :smoke: This could've represented the ultimate retro state of muscle cars aka 60's all over again. Too bad it aint happening :( Hard to belive GM & Damlier/Chrysler can't put a freakin rear drive V8 pony car out :shrug

2010 Challenger Link

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/0039361835960125.JPG?0.5077645987899533

2008 DOA Camaro Link

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/3475140958426816.JPG?0.30358613745374063http://homepage.mac.com/atomicshark/08-CAMARO-ATOMICSHARK.jpg

For the hell of it 2008 GTO concept..this car does absolutely nothing for me & doesn't capture too much retro either.

http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/31-14054-287476-6044/2008%20GTO.jpg

·
Registered
914 Posts
The Challenger is abso*******lutely cool! I would drive that! If it has the guts it should I'd buy one if they really make it.

The Camaro is too weird, a little too much "Jetsons" for me, even though I like the late 60s early 70s models.

The GTO - just keeps getting worse - looks like an Acura got humped by a Tonka truck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Since i own an old GTO i wanted one of the new ones and saved for 2 years. But, alas, they looked too plain. Good drivetrain. So i got Mustsng. I can see some classic Pontiac styling in the 08 GTO but its blended into a body thats pretty modern. I dont think i would buy it. No Doubt it will be too expensive. But the Kappa platform the new GTO is attached to has had its stateside funding and development put on hold.
I like the Dodge. And its not a Chevy.
300 HP is starting to look a little low in comparison to what the other companies are coming out with, retro or not.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That Challenger pic has been making the rounds for a while and is actually rumored to be a touched-up version of a Camaro concept. I agree it looks GREAT though.

Not sure about that Camaro either.......Almost reminds me of an RX-8 form that viewing angle!

As for the GTO.......don't be too quick to dismiss that as a great car (and dangerous at stoplights!). The wife and I test drove an '05 after we test drove an '05 Mustang GT, and it really made me forget about a new Mustang for weeks. 100 more HP, excellent drivetrain and a gorgeous, comfortable interior. There were a few little things against it that were just based on personal opinion, and the price is higher (but, still pretty reasonable considering what's in the package). Basically, the exterior of the GTO is the only thing that immediately falls short of the Mustang but that's still based on subjective opinion. A lot of folks like a more plain "sleeper" car, and you sure don't notice it how the exterior looks when you're inside it, driving and having a ball!

Don't label me a heretic, because I chose a Mustang GT anyway....just saying there's much more to the new Goat than meets the eye.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the picture of the 2008 camaro was never an official design made by chevy engineers, and had no hope of being produced.

I just got my latest issue of Road & Track yesterday, and it had an article about the new Camaro. They mentioned that the current chevy plans include a concept car in 2006 and a production car for 2007. Road & Track has their own drawing of what they think it'll look like, but I think it's safe to say that no drawing out there right now will resemble the new one, if they ever build it!:sosad:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stoopy said:
That Challenger pic has been making the rounds for a while and is actually rumored to be a touched-up version of a Camaro concept. I agree it looks GREAT though.

Not sure about that Camaro either.......Almost reminds me of an RX-8 form that viewing angle!

As for the GTO.......don't be too quick to dismiss that as a great car A lot of folks like a more plain "sleeper" car, and you sure don't notice it how the exterior looks when you're inside it, driving and having a ball!

Don't label me a heretic, because I chose a Mustang GT anyway....just saying there's much more to the new Goat than meets the eye.
No denying the Goat has performance but then again so do allot of other cars . In fact I test drove the new vette before I bought the stang & while I was impressed by the performance it felt more like an appliance. But hey to each his own, Personally I'm drawn to the late 60's early 70's muscle with their wild colors , crazy graphics & stop light performance. That challenger concept pic was actually a retouched photo of another challenger concept. I'm sure as a rear driver it would offer Hemi power. That picture is a bit deceiving as the cuda challengers were famous for the coke bottle styling & you'd really need to see a side profile .

Ford obviously nailed it with the 05 Stang & the GT40 . The First Vipers nailed it back in 92. Other than that it's been pretty dry especially with the firebirds & camaro's dying off.

You have to wonder why GM & Chrysler just don't get it when it comes to a pony car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That Challenger Pic is great, looks a LOT like the original, kinda like our stangs do! Prob will never be built but as a concept, it sure is HOT. The Camaro and Gto pics - ugh.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That Challenger looks awesome. If they build it, they will buy it.

The Camaro and GTO look like European cars. Why bother.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You are 100% correct. It was some very young kid that drew and modeled that. I think he was 15 or so??

Crazy001 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the picture of the 2008 camaro was never an official design made by chevy engineers, and had no hope of being produced.

:sosad:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
StangInMD said:
That Challenger looks awesome. If they build it, they will buy it.

The Camaro and GTO look like European cars. Why bother.
My favorite muscle car all time , the 71 hemi cuda convertible , Long before they became a million $$ icon . Knowing my cuda's & challengers the challenger concept although really an artist rendering , is all 71 cuda , Cheese Grater Grill , Quad Lights , Fender gills . That said , There is something too derivative about it. Kinda like a nissan sentra w/ old styling cues. Don't get me wrong. If they release a hemi Challenger , unless they totally screw it up like they did w/a 4 door charger would most likely buy it if priced right. Much prefer they restore the cuda' name , even w/out plymouth . They already did they rice burner challengers of the early 80's & 2 bombs of the charger name. The cuda is unmolested & worthy of a successor since it is the most valuable muscle car in history. Think about it , a hemi cuda convertible sells for 10x what a ShelbyGT500KR Vert does ( my second all time favorite muscle car).

The camaro was done by an 18 year old & GM jumped on it for sizzle but I think the 67-69 inspired Camaro /Firebird are DOA.

As for Chrysler , If a challenger is 5 years away , why bother ?

Have no clue why it would take that long since they have the rear drive V8 platform w/the charger , magnum , 300 series .

Besides every freakin time chrysler hits the mark, style wise, they Way Overprice ! Still have my late 80's car & driver articles that stated the Viper price was going to start at 28K same as they said for the prowler . Hell w/ the prowler they shoulda just sold that neon powered hot rod as a kit for about 15k .

Thanks for the 05 Stang blue oval guys :worship

·
Registered
269 Posts
jiobao said:
The GTO - just keeps getting worse - looks like an Acura got humped by a Tonka truck.
ROFL:hihi: , how true. While it does have one wicked drive train it just does'nt spark any retro notes with me.

G

·
The linx don't work for me, in any case I saw them before.

I'd rather have a 300+ HP car NOW, than hot air from CEO's about sumn 5 years plus down the road.

I'll believe it when I see it. By 2010 the Mustang GT may have 400HP as stock, who knows.

G

·
Doug Schramm of http://creatingthelie.com/ (burningman on TMS) created the challenger image. Did an awesome job if you ask me. My 'stang should be here in the next week or two, but had his version of the challenger been out, I'd have had to think real damn hard about it. Dodge/DCX should take one freakin hard look at that 'concept' of his. Incidently, he's got other "concepts" on his site... w/ different color combos & angles. I'm just amazed by this man's work...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
eyelleye said:
Doug Schramm of http://creatingthelie.com/ (burningman on TMS) created the challenger image. Did an awesome job if you ask me. My 'stang should be here in the next week or two, but had his version of the challenger been out, I'd have had to think real damn hard about it. Dodge/DCX should take one freakin hard look at that 'concept' of his. Incidently, he's got other "concepts" on his site... w/ different color combos & angles. I'm just amazed by this man's work...
Thanks for the link ..Now I know why the cuda rendering was bugging me ..he added a body crease just below the door handle where the cuda never had a crease . The Original body protrudes a bit at mid point w/out a sharp crease....On the other hand this challenger rendering is spectacular ! :yup: http://www.creatingthelie.com/auto_gallery/mopar/images/TH_black_RT_challenger_front.jpg

He's got the body crease at mid point where it should be .this really captured the essense of the E-Bodies . Just add the cuda grill, gills & shaker to this version :santa Damn if they had a car like this ready in 07 with the 6.1 hemi I bet Ford would seriously up production of the Shelby ...That's why the Stang needs some competition :gringreen

·
Registered
77 Posts
The GTO looks like a ricer on steroids. The Charger is still 4 doors for christ sake, I don't care if it has a thousand horsepower. If they do make that Camaro in 08 I will have one sitting in my drive way right next to Esmaralda and probably die a happy man

·
Registered
91 Posts
*****, if they build the 'Cuda like that, I'll put a black one next to my Black Mustang GT. Keep building the retro musclecars, and I'll come (PG spelling-if you get the joke) The GTO still looks absolutely horrible!!!!!! WTF are they doing, drawing in the dark? I think that the 64 GTO is one of the greatest looking musclecars ever, and to say that the new one's looks are subjective is a cop out!! Who's hotter, Roseanne Barr or Carmen Electra? Also subjective, but unless your Roseanne's mom, you know what the answer is!:laughlitt

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
WillCarson said:
Since i own an old GTO i wanted one of the new ones and saved for 2 years. But, alas, they looked too plain. Good drivetrain. So i got Mustsng. I can see some classic Pontiac styling in the 08 GTO but its blended into a body thats pretty modern. I dont think i would buy it. No Doubt it will be too expensive. But the Kappa platform the new GTO is attached to has had its stateside funding and development put on hold.
I like the Dodge. And its not a Chevy.
300 HP is starting to look a little low in comparison to what the other companies are coming out with, retro or not.
Guarentee the mustang will still be the most affordable. I have the feeling the only way GM can compete with the mustang is by coping out and dropping a vette engine in some sleek body and call it a camaro:thumbdown

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
Guarentee the mustang will still be the most affordable. I have the feeling the only way GM can compete with the mustang is by coping out and dropping a vette engine in some sleek body and call it a camaro:thumbdown
Just like they did with the Fireturd. same thing as throwing the hemi into everything.
Just think if they plopped the 4.6 into a Focus :shocked:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
pcfrisch said:
Just like they did with the Fireturd. same thing as throwing the hemi into everything.
Just think if they plopped the 4.6 into a Focus :shocked:
:evilchuck :evilchuck :evilchuck

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think a billet grille with horizontal members rather than vertical ones would really give that car a face lift. (challenger)

The other ones really didn't do anything for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts